PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
In his book titled "Rare Smoke - The Ultimate Guide to Pipe Collecting" author Richard Carleton Hacker mentions an intriguing brand which caught my fancy: G. Huybrecht. In the chapter titled "The Collector's Compendium of Pipe Brands" Mr. Hacker had this to say of them: "One of England's most secretive pipemakers, this firm is so obscure that most pipe smokers in Britain are not even familiar with its name." Thus baited, I have been looking for one of their pipes ever since. This morning I purchased a late London Castle model (pictured in the images below) from a seller on eBay.
According to the "London Castle Pipes" entry on pipedia.org:

"Founded in 1919, it was originally known as Davies & Huybrecht. One of the smallest and most obscure of the older British pipe makers. Their specialty was the making of pipes with flawless wood in traditional British shapes from Algerian briar. Their pipes were available only from Smith's Snuff Shop in London. Each pipe was offered without the stem and the customer then specified the stem he wanted.
"In the late 1990's the last Mr. Huybrecht retired and passed away a few years later. He left over a 100 bowls. Many were unstained and without stems. In June of 2006 we located the old bowls and are now having them stained and stemmed. The mouthpieces are hand cut Vulcanite and every pipe is stamped "London Castle, G. Huybrecht".
"We are extremely pleased to offer a limited selection of London Castle pipes by the late G. Huybrecht. The bowls we have are the last of an 80 year old tradition of British pipe making. They are classic British shapes and smaller pipes, averaging Group 3-4 size."
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

How are these pipes as smokers? If you have (or have had) one, please let me know.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I vaguely remember that brand from Rare Smoke but I've never seen one in the flesh.
This interesting shop has a few available.

http://www.the-tobacconist.co.uk/pipes/charts.asp?pipeMenu=Huybrecht&product_id=500
Viking Club is a good vendor (I think he might be a member here, but posts a lot on the BrothersOfBriar forum)
Let us know how the pipe smokes.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
ssjones:
Thank-you for the link to the McGahey The Tobacconist Website. I had not seen any of the Huybrecht/London Castle smooth-finished pipes. Very pretty!
Interestingly, the pipedia.org entry for London Castle Pipes was created by Maxim Engel of the pipes2smoke.com Website. A quick search of that site showed none for sale.
eBay Seller Second Hand Smokes had a rusticated, bent, G. Huybrecht pipe listed a few months back, but it just did not appeal to me as this one did. I am earger for its arrival and subsequent baptism by fire.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Good looking pipe and that bit looks comfy as hell. Everything about the backstory has my interest and it'll be on my radar. Can't wait to hear how she smokes!

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Somewhere I read, if memory serves, that these pipes were only sold through one shop (something like Snuffy Smith's).I believe they came without a stem and the buyer could choose the stem he preferred. Harold Wilson, the Labor Prime Minister, smoked them. I would love to have one. Congratulations.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
In the early 1990's I corresponded with G. Huybrecht by mail asking for information about their pipes. They were very nice and sent me information and prices. Unfortunately I never bought one. I really like the shape and size of that pipe.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
"O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! He chortled in his joy."
Why? Because this afternoon the Postman delivered my G. Huybrecht pipe! The Seller's images simply did not do it justice. It is beautiful in the best British tradition, and surprisingly light. Further, the hand-cut bit is first rate. It will get the salt-and-alcohol treatment this evening, followed by a thorough drying, and then the baptism by fire.
Congratulations, too, to the eBay Seller, forrestmattia (aka VikingClubPipes on the Web), for an excellent job in packaging this pipe for shipment. Without being asked, he remembered to remove the bit from the pipe's shank, and to wrap each separately. A little thing, perhaps, but important in my book.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Nathan delivers the goods. I've purchased an absolutely exquisite Willmer and a family era Sasieni from him, and check his website often. Coincidentally, I just purchased a Huybrecht smooth finish, diamond-shank billiard off e-bay. Should be here tomorrow, and I can't wait!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A member on the BrothersOfBriar has an unsmoked G. Huybrecht available at a nice price point.
http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t30766-fs-cavicchi-growley-bonfiglioli-london-castle-peterson
20150511.jpg

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Hunter, I don't know what I was smoking when I put that Canadian up for sale! It always performed exceedingly well for me, and that rustication is rare.
Not a lot of people know the London Castle name. I own a Huybrecht lovat, and am looking at getting another, now that economic times are looking up.
I hope you find it delightful.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
mattia76:
I was not aware that you were a member of the Forums here, but am glad! I'm also glad that you elected (for whatever reason) to part with this particular G. Huybrecht London Castle pipe! I will be inaugurating this weekend with some Sutliff Balkan Luxury Blend, and am looking forward to the experience.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Let me know how it goes. I corrected my mistake earlier today by ordering that unsmoked LC above.
If I have an angle in collecting, other than just smoking what God throws in my lap, it's Olde English pipes. But occasionally I like new pipes too. So my idea to justify the occasional foray into a new maker is to also obtain a modern take on a classic, to go with the Olde English I already enjoy.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
My recent acquisition of a diamond shank billiard London Castle. .

Smoked a little Low Country Cooper last night as the inaugural bowl. Very nice pipe, indeed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great looking traditional pipes. Love the square shank on that billiard. Please, how is Huybrecht pronounced?
Something like hi'-brect?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
There is one for sale in Australia with a low buy it now price. It doesn't particularly look exceptional to me...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Smoking-Pipe-London-Castle-made-in-London-England-Hard-to-Find-/112257955645?hash=item1a2318773d:g:6CAAAOSwnHZYbGEe
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.