PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Howdy friends. No disrespect intended to those who enjoy this tobacco, but I think my Grandma wants her perfume back. Whew!
I was browsing tobaccoreviews.com for well rated aromatics, and I came across this blend. I only ordered an ounce, because it sounded a bit out there. I must admit, I read enough about it that I thought this could go either way. But it was only a few bucks for an ounce, so why not? With all the warning of ghosting from this blend, I tried it in one of my MM pony cobs. Well, after three smokes with either Carter Hall or Lane RLP, this pipe doesn't have a ghost, it's downright possessed.
With time, I may give it another go, but this was just too much for me the first few bowls. My wife told me the room note just smelled like strong, perfumey incense. Again, no offense intended to the fellas who enjoy it, but the blend seemed kind of, well, feminine to me. It seemed like something blended for the ladies.
Anyway, just my humble opinion.
Peace,

Bill

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I think Best Brown #2 by G&H is a great introduction into the lakeland scents. You can barely taste it, it's just lingering in the background. I haven't tried anything as strong as ennerdale, but I'm definitely getting a pound of BB#2 next time I place an order.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Its not for everyone that's for sure. However i love Ennerdale! Something about the Lakeland aromatic just hits my sense perfectly and I find it much more enjoyable than I thought I would. I don't think GH makes a bad tobacco in their whole line.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I didn't like it either. I only made it through about half a bowl before throwing the towel in. Far too soapy tasting for me. Thankfully, a year later now I've finally gotten the ghost out of that poor pipe that was subjected to Ennerdale. It's taken about 50 bowls of 1Q and three or four of Dan's Blue Note to get rid of it.
I know it has it's followers, but I'm with you Bill, I'm not one of them.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I would say Lakelands are the thrills gum of pipe tobacco, you either love it or hate it

thrills.jpg

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
One of my resolutions for this year was to explore the Lakeland-style blends. I hadn't enjoyed them when I tried them years ago. But this time I started with samples of Ennerdale Flake, Dark Scented Flake, and Kendal Cream Flake. The Ennerdale was love at first puff. Yes, it tastes different from all my other favorite blends. Yes, it's an unusual flavor profile for American smokers. But I think it helped that I was approaching it simply with the desire to understand it. I wasn't expecting it to become a "new favorite blend." I just wanted to explore it for what it is. In the process, I actually did end up finding a new favorite. I've now got three of my pipes dedicated to Lakeland blends.
Bob

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I'm trying to decide whether to get a tin of Ennerdale or not... I have a feeling it's going to be similar to my Royal Yacht experience. I'm still recovering from it.
That Blue Note though, that is a mighty fine smoke!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'm trying to decide whether to get a tin of Ennerdale or not... I have a feeling it's going to be similar to my Royal Yacht experience. I'm still recovering from it.

Make sure you have a pipe then that you don't mind not using for anything else after, or order a cob, as everything will taste like it afterwords. I would recommend trying BBF#2 first and see if you want to get a heavier lake lands scent after.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
I bought 25g last week, tried a bowl last night, unbelievable perfumy aroma. Not having another bowl, yuk, it's in the bin. No more lakeland for me, I read the reviews and took the plunge, not for me.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I adore the whole Lakeland thing. Condor, while not strictly a "Lakeland", is my all time fave, but I like Coniston Cut Plug, Bosun Cut Plug, Brown Flake Scented, Kendal Flake, and Ennerdale, too. I guess you either dig this style of flavoring or you hate it. I abandoned any preconceived notions and just tried these blends for what they are-- and never looked back.
And in a Falcon... sublime.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I do enjoy the Ennerdale. But if you ever want to approach the Lakelands again, I'd suggest Kendal Cream Flake. It's more lightly scented than Ennerdale, although it does have a bit more nicotine strength to it.
Bob

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I love G&H BB#2 which has the lakeland scent, very mild to me, but reading the reviews of it some people describe it as a soapy mess. It makes me want to try stronger lakelands though, as I enjoy it in the BB#2.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I must agree with Billy that since buying my falcon a few weeks ago, I also have found it the best pipe to smoke Ennerdale in.
Incidentally, I have been judging various tobacco's quality by the color of the juice left in the Falcon Humidome.
For instance, Ennerdale and Hal O' The Wynd both leave nearly a clear liquid, whereas Prince Albert and Virginia No 1 leave quite a dark liquid. Makes you think....

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I like Lakeland style baccies in anything and everything-- but a Falcon just seems to emphasize everything I like about them. I'm taking "yes" for an answer.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I tried Ennerdale back in the summer of 2012 in my SMS Meer and did not care for it at all. I also tried a couple other Lakelands and did not care for them either. I gave them all a fair shot but concluded that Lakelands are not for me. I wish I did like them because they are readily available, sold in bulk and the prices are very fair.
I tried SG Firedance flake and it tasted like I puked in my mouth. It was the worst tasting tobacco I have ever tried.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Confession to make:-
Felt guilty about dumping good tobacco so retrieved the discarded pouch from the kitchen pedal bin at the weekend.
Mmmm, smells less perfumy I thought, maybe breathing a bit has helped. Anyway gave it another go (in a Falcon, took you guys advice)and lo and behold it aint smoking too bad.
Wont buy anymore but maybe I was a tad hasty in my opinion.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I'd reccomend trying G&H Bob's Choc Flake. There is a slight hint of the Lakeland Essence from the presses, but it is a fine smoke, especially after a few months in the cellar. If you're like me, the first experience with Lakeland may not have been that positive, but it will call you back to try it again, and you'll become hooked. I think it alters the chemistry in your brain somehow. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.