PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
So, just home from a 10 hr night shift, sitting here on the front porch, watching the sun rise while puffing some FVF in one of my favourite pipes, a Sav Oscar Lucite 614. As noted earlier in my intro, just recently smoking again after being off the weed for a significant trying to get off the damned cigarettes, which I've succeeded in, BTW. My senses have changed significantly so this is the first bowl of FVF I've had since who knows when, 2 years plus.
So, this bowl is well behaved, VERY well behaved with typical pure Virginia flavours, with minimum prep from flake to flame. While FVF is always recognized as a top tobacco, many will say it's not worth the hassle of the PITA prep required, and almost nobody recommends it for noobs, again, because of prep, being hard to light and keep lit.
Now, About 45 minutes ago I took out the flake, noted it was fairly dry, and rubbed it out on a sheet of paper and left it for a bit to make some Pu'erh tea. Came back, packed it mostly by gravity and tapping on the side of the bowl. Once level I pressed down lightly and topped it off with tiny rubbings as tinder. Two char lights, slight light tamp each time and then a true light, off to the races. It went out after a few minutes, I laid it down while I dumped and cleaned the pipe I smoked on the way home.
Easy light tamp and relight. Plenty of smoke, even with light short sips, and wonderful Virginia flavour profile. About the 30 minute mark I laid it down again to make more tea, same relight as the previous.
Now maybe1/2 way through the bowl and still a pleasant trouble-free smoke. Cool, dry, and pretty well as good as it gets.
So, why is this so easy when so many talk of the PITA to prep, light and smoke?
Am I lucky? Does the climate here treat the flakes perfectly? Is the rising sun aligned with the 3rd moon of Saturn and the nose star of Ursla Major?
Now, while taste is very subjective, many rank this tobac very high in their desert island list. Me, while it is a wonderful smoke, definitely not top 5 and possible late top 10.
So am I missing something in prep or smoking it that would increase taste? The combination of how easy it's smoking right now with my (maybe) lower rating than most tells me maybe I am missing something.
Maybe I've confused you more with trying to explain myself, but I hope not as I'm anxious to read views on this experience.
Cheers and good night.
Jamie.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I get mine in bulk and it's about as moist as any tobacco I've seen right out of the box. It can take a great deal of dry time where I live in SW PA. I've tried more than once to "force" it and for that I spend a lot of time relighting and having to fuss with it. It's one tobacco that I'll absolutely not smoke until it's time and it's a favorite of mine. More to it than just run of the mill Virginia IMHO, I get a very complex and ever changing flavor profile from it when I can sit down and really tune into what's going on. I'm sure if I lived in a more arid climate there'd be much less prep time involved.

The argument over whether it's best smoked rubbed out or intact as a flake is more than I want to get into but I've tried it every which way with a fold and stuff method being the most complex and tasty at least for me. Do I always use that method? No, if I'm indoors I'll rub it out, if I'm going to be smoking outdoors I fold and stuff, seems to last much longer.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
My biggest problem with almost any tobacco was smoking it too moist. No matter how many times I was told that dryer is typically better, I just couldn't "get it." (Though "too dry" is certainly possible, too)
Once I started letting it dry more than I thought was reasonable, I started having better experiences.
When I started experimenting with flakes, though, my problems seemed to start all over again. I live in a particularly wet climate, and it seemed impossible to get the flakes dry enough. Plus, flakes feel different to me, and I found it hard to correctly estimate how dry they needed to be.
I wasn't actually successful with flakes until I one day left some flakes out for more than 24 hours (Again, wet, wet climate. I'm not recommending 24 hour dry times for most people). I thought I'd ruined it, but broke it up anyway, and had a great smoke. Now, I dry the hell out of any flake I'm gonna smoke, and I'm really liking it.
That's a long way around saying that flakes don't give me as much "feedback" as loose tobacco, and I think they would be difficult for many newbies to "get just right."
My two cents.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Seems to be a pattern emerging here, with the common word being dry.
Now, for me, this is a subject for a totally different post, probably more likely a blog entry.
Even after years of smoking pipes, I still have issues deciding when something is dry enough, normally I leave it too wet, and I suspect this comes from my passion for cigars. You get a cigar below 60% RH and it feels crispy, probably not fit to smoke as it'll be flavourless and hot.
But for some reason it's different with pipe tobacco. This afternoon's drive to work included a bowl of McClelland Anniversary. This initially feels so dry, a while ago I would have tossed it or sprayed the sap with distilled water and left it for a few days to rehumidify. But today I packed it anyway and what a wonderful smoke.
Still not sure about the FVF this morning though. There's a whole bunch of "high seniority" smokers with much more knowledge than I who don't like the blend because of the amount of prep. Guess I'll chalk this one up to luck for now, and continue on my quest for the perfect Rh.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
FVF is something of an enigmatic tobacco to me. I had the best smoke I ever had with it. I also had one of my worst.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I for one, see FVF as a challenge worth accepting. I see myself mastering this flake in the near future, and being able to smoke it at my leisure, without care or concern.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think those that want to spend time experimenting to find the way that works with a particular tobacco, the breaking down of flakes, their packing and the smoking cadence needed to smoke it, usually find a way that works. Dark Star is notoriously difficult to smoke, but I've also read about guys who hung in there and found their way with it. It can be a matter of patience sometimes to work through 6-12 bowls of the smoke not being right to find what works. I threw my hands up with Dark Star as the relights drove me crazy; "endeavor to persevere" as Chief Dan George says in "The Outlaw Josey Wales."
It's been a long time since I smoked FVF regularly, so this account is dated, but I never had trouble with it. From your account it sounds like FVF is currently I tougher flake to break down and keep lit. I do have recent experience with 1792, which is also difficult to keep lit. I finished a bowl I started last night, but my prep for it is rubbing it out vigorously over and over until it's in pieces two or three times smaller than what I consider adequately rubbed out for any other tobacco. Then I let it air dry for a half-hour even if it's moisture is no more than the moisture of other flakes I smoke. I would say that I still have to relight it more, but not to the point that it is a pain.
It's not been my impression that FVF is problematic in its prepping or storage. If you buy bulk, put it in jars. If it resists being smoked as a whole flake, rub it out, but then again I've never learned to smoke whole flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.