Tags:   

FVF Question

(19 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by eazye77
  • Latest reply from dragonslayer
  1. eazye77

eazye77

Login to Send PM

Got a hold of some Full Virginia Flake with my order last week and it is sooooo good.

Naturally sweet and a very smooth smoke. Defiantly a Virginia man if I do say so myself.

My question is, is it true that this tobacco gets better if stored? I already love it so if that is true I can only imagine how it would taste.

Cheers!

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh man...every year it gets richer and richer..I was lucky enough to get some in a trade awhile back that is from 6-09, its dark and rich
    get some and put it back for a year, you wont regret it

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

FVF, like any virginia, will improve with age, better than any other leaf. According to Greg Pease, improvements occur at 6 mos.-1 year, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, 30 years. Beyond 30 years is untested.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does a cat walk funny if you put slinkies on it's legs?

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's a reason why I have 105 tins of FVF in the cellar my friend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Depends on what you mean by better. I do like what happens to virginias as they age. the rough edges seem to soften, the dark rich notes get deeper and the sweetness spreads out. I love FVF fresh out of the tin, but with 5 years on it you get those mind blowing smokes filled with roasted fudge, stewed fruit, cocoa, caramelized sugars and espresso. Do yourself a favour and get yourself a tin of Best Brown Flake. It's the same quality Virginia but with more citrus and fresh baked bread notes and more of a caramel, honey or brown sugar sweetness. Also becomes mind blowing at 5 years and up.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually prefer BBF to FVF.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know some of the tobaccos I've bought with some age on them are better than new versions of the same tobacco.

On the other hand, I can't agree with liking FVF. It bit the crud out of me no matter what and most of the other VA flakes I've tried don't do that. Must be a body chemistry thing.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually prefer BBF to FVF.

I'm with ya on that. Got enough BBF stored up that I don't need to pop a tin with less than 5 years on it.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. hfearly

hfearly

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can always "quick age" a tin or two of FVF in the oven, 5 hours at 175-190 Fahrenheit, for instant consumption pleasures

Suffering from a serious case of "EPARD", also known as the Estate Pipe Acquisition and Restoration Disorder.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. eazye77

eazye77

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the advice guys.

HAPPY PIPE DAY!!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just got my hands on some as well and I am with you man, that stuff is incredible.

By the eternal! There is a man whose form should be cast in deathless bronze and the statue placed in every college in the land. It is not book-learning young men need, nor instruction about this and that, but a stiffening of the vertebrae which will cause them to be loyal to a trust, to act promptly, concentrate their energies; do the thing - "carry a message to Garcia!" Elbert Hubbard "A Message to Garcia" 1899
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogglor

Login to Send PM

How does that process work, hfearly?

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

How does that process work, hfearly?

Check this thread, 5th post down:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/never-say-never-erinmore-flake

I thought it too "instant gratification" for my tastes when I read it, but Bradley tried it and likes it too, so wonders never really do cease, I guess.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. hfearly

hfearly

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since it was first invented by the spectacular Fred Hanna, so it can't be bad

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogglor

Login to Send PM

Wow. I am definitely going to try this on one of my FVF tins.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. eazye77

eazye77

Login to Send PM

Well, I did the whole "aging" the FVF tobacco last night in the oven. Will give it a try and let you know what I think!

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

captainsousie, don't give up on FVF. In my experience I have never dealt with a flake that is as finicky as FVF. If it is just a tad too wet it will burn hot, if you smoke it out of too big a pipe, it can taste not so great. I finally figured this one out so I can get a great smoke out of it every time. I now dry it for at least 2-3 hours. When I cube cut it I make the cubes very small in comparison to any other flakes I cube. I have found it smokes best for me in a group 4 Dublin, not a group 5. I think if you experiment and find what works best, you will be rewarded with a great smoke.

I can smoke SG Best Brown or St James in a myriad of pipe shapes and different sizes and they always perform great for me, but the FVF is a fickle mistress for sure.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Think I'm going to back an Anniversary Kake this weekend...hmm Very intrigued on catching a glimpse.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   beefeater33, kaboom, daimyo, mmjk, peckinpahhombre, andypandy, tbradsim1, highlander, pruss, indianafrank, trailboss, edwinbaz, portalhq, shur, mrjerke, zitotczito, lucky695, 7ach, layinpipe, dread, eightywon, darwin, edgreen, agnosticpipe