PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I smoke FVF every day. Its not the only thing I smoke, but I churn right through it. The easiest way to smoke a wet tobacco, as it comes out of the tin or box is to dry it. I cube cut it and place it in a leather valet for drying and when I do a bulk cube like this it dries for a day or two and then it goes in a jar. When I'm ready to travel I put it in new medicine jars (dirt cheap) and its ready to be poured into a pipe (magazine or clip kinda) gravity style while I'm driving down the road.
This is also mentioned in a post today asking about fold and stuff, but this is why I don't fold and stuff. This is fool proof even when I'm the fool full of proof (100 or so Bourbon).

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Agree ash FVF is a wonderful smoke. Prep is the key. I do something similar where I let a new tin dry out a month or longer before even getting near it. I like mine rubbed out or put in the food processor. Your cube cut looks deelish!

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
I'm salivating over here. I'm going to try out this method. Thanks for sharing!

Great pics!

I cube cut a whole tin of Brown Sugar Flake this weekend and left the tin open and in the window. By Friday evening, it seemed wetter than before. Then by Saturday evening, I saw that it had started to dry a little on the edges. I just checked it, it seems wet again. I think it's pulling water out of the air. I need to make a dehumidifier box or something. I may just have to stick with using the microwave.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Thx for posting. -Got to try cube cutting again. I love FVF and have a ton of it aged, but I often reach for more practical virginia's.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Helpful thread. I believe Harris mentioned he too made large cuts. I always thought those might be too large to burn properly, but seeing them here, I'd imagine you get more "flakiness" with such a cut. I typically use a smaller cut ending with something a bit larger than a match head but I think I'll give your method a go tomorrow when my new order is set to arrive.
Edit: how tightly do you pack?

FWIW, my cube cut tin of Brown Sugar Flakes is still sticky wet, and it has been open since Friday. It has been rainy since Monday, so the humidity might be continually soaking it. It makes me wonder if there is a lot of PG in there, which would make it easier for it to pull moisture out of the ambient air.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Bigpond, I cut them a little larger because during the drying and handling phases they chip apart and actually come to the optimum size. BTW, The amount in this batch was one pound. I use a gravity packing method and after the bowl is filled I put my thumb on the bowl and give it a light "tamp". Then I light.
Cosmic, I think the low humidity of Las Vegas helps my method. I don't know how if I would do it this way in a humid area.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Michael, Brown Sugar Flake should air dry just fine, or at least it does here in Cornland :wink:
However if I need to smoke some without the hassle of waiting several hours I find that five or six bowlfuls on a plastic dish microwaved for twenty seconds then a couple of minutes for the steam to go gives me a great smoke. I have smoked BSF cube cut but generally just roughly rub it out.
Ash, have you ever tried Full Virginia Plug by any chance? It's like FVF but with brass knobs on :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Jay, I have some Full Virginia Plug and St. James Plug and they are very good. I keep them for special occasions. I have POUNDS of FVF and St. James Flake, but I only have OUNCES of both types of plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.