Future of Dunhill Pipe Tobaccs: STG vs K & K vs ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
18 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
24 Fresh Brigham Pipes
12 Fresh Johs Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pipebuddy

We all know that BAT is withdrawing its Dunhill pipe tobacco and cigar sector of the market. What is less clear is if a manufacturer will take over production, wither under the Dunhill name or another.
I have read on the forums (Woodsroad) that STG would still produce the pipe tobaccos, but under another name. In Europe, emails and rumors are circulating on forums that K & K have acquired the recipes and will produce them but under another name-like they did with the Peterson pipe tobaccos when they lost the production rights, back in 2014 or 2015.
Can anyone (I'm thinking Woodsraod, among others, as he mentioned something on another thread) shed some light on this issue?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Would the renamed blends be permissible under the upcoming FDA regulations?
They would have to be "deemed" under FDA regs to stay on the market. But whoever is making them could get a few years of sales out of them in the interim before 86ing them. That does seem to be a tactic. People forget that Dunhill pulled out of the US market for awhile, so even if BAT hadn't pulled the plug, they would have had to go through the same hoops as the post 2007 blends. I wonder if that was also in BAT's thinking when they decided to pull the plug. The timeframe BAT gave for continued availability pretty neatly coincides with the original FDA execution date of 8/8/18.
What is less clear is if a manufacturer will take over production, wither under the Dunhill name or another.
Unless the incestuous conglomeration of companies controlling Dunhill products has changed it's collective mind, they would have to be resurrected under a different name.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Sean,

What did they name the Peterson match blends?
This is from tobaccoreviews.
After K&K lost the Peterson range to Mac Baren, they did not want to waste their recipes. They tweaked them a little and simply renamed the old Peterson line to be re-released under the Rattray's label: Malcolm Flake being Erinmore Flake; Sterling Flake being Irish Flake; and Wallace Flake being University Flake.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Connaisseurs Choice = Tower Bridge

Gold Blend = Buckingham

Irish Flake = Stirling Flake

Irish Whiskey = Sir William

Luxury Blend = Royal Albert

Nutty Cut = London Eye

Old Dublin = Red Lion

Sherlock Holmes = MacBeth

Sunset Breeze = Union Jack

Sweet Killarney = Westminster Abbey

University Flake = Wallace Flake "
this has been floating around for a little while.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Ben, all of my Peterson stock is 2013 and earlier. I bought 20 tins of Rattray Wallace flake when it first came out and found it to be similar enough to K&K's University flake that I didn't buy anymore. I already had plenty of UF so the added 20 of Wallace gave me plenty for that flavor profile.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Would the European market care?
I am wondering, from a purely academic perspective, whether it might be possible for Americans to obtain post-deeming blends directly from sellers in the EU after the "deeming" regs go into effect and we American pipe smokers lose all the post-2007 blends.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am wondering, from a purely academic perspective, whether it might be possible for Americans to obtain post-deeming blends directly from sellers in the EU after the "deeming" regs go into effect and we American pipe smokers lose all the post-2007 blends.
If you're referring to US market blends that have been exported to EU merchants? That's an interesting question as FDA regs require all tobacco sold on the US market to be approved by the FDA deeming process, including tobaccos made by EU based blenders. Interdiction is also supposed to be ramped up. I suppose it would be possible, though I would be surprised if any manufacturers of endangered blends would be willing to deal with EU regs and take the chance that their stock might just not be saleable. I don't know what the hurdles are for selling to China. So it just might not matter because these blends might go out of production anyway. If something is worked out I doubt that the result will be inexpensive.

Oct 7, 2016
And Jesse may well have hit the key with his reference to China. That market is worth it by itself. The Chinese aren't only interested in Esoterica. They are, for example,now Radices largest market and, according to one Italian dealer, Franco Coppo of Castello was there the week before Easter.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I saw a post elsewhere, a rumor of a whisper (but with a picture attached) that Robert McConnell will be releasing a "Heritage Series" of blends in the "famous English" tradition. Whether this is actual Dunhill recipes re-badged or a re-imagining of them (Brigham did this with their Legends series, with Rudiger Will doing the blending, I think).

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I am literally planning on unloading some of my Esoterica in the cellar to a Chinese tobacco dealer. I’ve been in contact, they are hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies.