PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I have been smoking Fusilier's Ration, the new H&H blend from Russ O. that was inspired by the venerable Bengal Slices, and I just wanted to see if others found it to be as transcendental a smoke as I do.
This is a "Balkan" in the truest sense. Yes, there's latakia here, but far less than you find in blends like Black House, Westminster, Larry's Blend, etc. What you DO have is a forceful mixture of the most exotic and delicious orientals I've ever come across, mixed with some truly remarkable virginia leaf. There is also a topping applied here, but it's not applied in such a way as to make me think "aromatic." In fact, it's far more prevalent in the tin aroma than in the flavor, where it lends a touch of sweetness and a slightly floral note. It's a very soft, rounded flavor, and the effect when combined with the other ingredients is best described by the term "creamy." I know, I know -- "creamy" is an overused and subjective term when it comes to pipe tobaccos, but I really can't think of any other word that fits.
Anyhow, this stuff flat-out rocks. The presentation -- a moist crumble cake similar to Classic Burley Kake -- is a dream to work with. The stuff lights and burns flawlessly, and I've yet to get bitten. I even like the taste of this stuff when it's unlit! My one complaint is that it seems to be out of stock more often than not, which has made it difficult for me to cellar it in the quantities I'd like to.
So...anyone else love this stuff as much as I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.