PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Well, Russ Oulette's take on the old Bengal Slices has hit the shelves. Even better, some is now on its way to my house!

The old Bengal Slices was basically the Balkan Sobranie pressed into a cake and then lightly topped with some sort of floral scenting. It was legendary stuff, and unfortunately I never got to try it. That might be a positive thing, however, as I won't have any preconceptions on what to expect. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to this one more than I've looked forward to a new blend in awhile....Heck, even the name (Fusilier's Ration) is cool.

Jul 15, 2011
Interesting about the nod to Bengal Slices, because I have read that Lancer Slices is also supposed to be a nod to the old Bengal Slices as well. I will be curious to try some of this when I get a little more cash. Do I smell a Throwdown sometime in the near future?

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
It'd be nice to at least try the winner! Lancer's is supposed to be a nod to the Bengal Slices, but it lacks the topping that was supposedly such an integral part of the original. Also, Bengal Slices was supposedly much heavier on the orientals and lighter on the latakia. Like I said earlier, I never got to try the original, so anything I say about it is second-hand....

Jul 15, 2011
Im wanting to get ahold of some of the Fusiliers Ration and the Cerberus both when I get paid. I think all the other blends I wanted to try I have already traded for. I do know that I am in the market for a good Latakia smoke since it is getting colder outside, so I'll be interested to hear what you have to say when you try it.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Don't try this, blend. It's crap. As a matter of fact, when you guys receive your shipments, send them to me. I'll dispose of them properly. In return, I'll send you some of this fantastic Borkum Riff Whiskey I have. It's lightyears ahead of that crap Russ is trying to pass off as pipe tobacco. 8O
:rofl:
-Jason

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I am smoking it right now, thanks to a fellow Blackblood. Dude, it's good! It helps that I like Russ' LAt blends already, but this has a healthy dose of VA and is very sweet! I can see myself buying more of this. Yep. Big Tin Time. It's got that nice ever-changing flavor like Magnum Opus, but there is a constant sweetness and spice that reminds me a little of Louisiana Red. I just took one of the logs(?) and stuffed it into my PM2012. First light I thought, well, this is kind of mild, but the spice kicks in once you get going. People that have issues with VA may have a little trouble, because you can really taste it on your tongue.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Russ offered the open sample tin to me at the Richmond show, but I was distracted and left before trying it. This past Monday, I was up at P&C in Albany and they gave me a small sample. I was a little underwhelmed. I found it pretty flavor-less and not my cup of tea. It did burn nicely. This could have been a result of the sample, which was already rubbed out or remains of the original stock? There was one chunk of tobacco in the sample. I sent it to member Lestrout, who wanted to compare it to the original (which I've never seen). So, I await his opinion. Perhaps I'm too much of a Latakia fan for this mild blend.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
This is another one on my list that is in dire need of economic health. I've got some Black House and Frog Morton's Cellar coming, maybe after those.

Smokey

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Received my tin about 2 weeks ago. I find it to be very flavorful, much smoother than Penzance or Plum Pudding, but with the familiar Balkan style notes and flavors. I found no bite or overbearing spiciness, and perhaps some hints of sweetness. I really enjoy this blend. If Bengal Slices was like this tobacco, I am sorry to have missed it. Just for reference, I mostly smoke Penzance, Sterling 1776 Tavern Blend, or Dunhill 965 when I want a Balkan. There are subtle differences between all, and I am ill equipped to describe them. On the other hand, Fusilier's blend is likely to supplant a couple of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.