PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
We get the J. Peterman catalog. Don't think we have ever bought anything from it, but the retro styles always give my wife good ideas for less expensive chic items, and the product descriptions are entertaining.
In a very long time getting the catalog, though, I do not recall ever seeing any pipes in it. The current version has TWO: a Peterson tankard with P-lip and a Peterson system churchwarden.
What's interesting is that neither is TERRIBLY overpriced. Overpriced, but not terribly so.
Interesting mainstream appearance of pipes.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
oh yeah all the hipster kids are suddenly about pipes. have one around the shop that told me he got a pipe to look cool and smart

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Didn't we all? *chuckles*
Seriously --> http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/why-did-you-start-smoking-a-pipe
We by and large articulate a lot better than that, but what do those reasons really break down to? (Assuming you classify nostalgia to family members as part of 'cool' and for that matter, potentially smart as well).

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
Yoru - I had no clue that it was/is becoming considered cool in some younger circles, until the kid told me so. I have noticed (working in the college area) that there are alot of kids in this area gravitating towards older styles... almost as if they wish to be anachronisms. This, mind you, I do not oppose.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Thank the steampunk phenomena. These are young men and women embracing Victorian anachronisms, at the same time they want to place these ideals In the modern world. The subtlety of the.pipe gives them this in spades more power to .'em I says. Anytimea youngster (i'm 38) wants to explore the finer things I say gods bless 'em! True for some it will be a fad, bit for others, it will be the start of a friendship!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Well, the J. Peterman catalog is about as far from steampunk as it's possible to get. Instead, it's the quintessential up-market, pretentious, middle-age, exurban, yuppie line of products and image.
So I don't think appearance of pipes there supports the notion that pipes are popular hipster accessories. (Not saying they aren't; just saying this catalog carrying them isn't evidence of that.)
Pipes in this catalog aren't the equivalent of pipes for sale at Saks or Neiman Marcus, but that's kind of the idea.
(We get the catalog becuase on the one hand it is hilarious (think of the Seinfeld episodes when Elaine wrote for the company) and becuase some of the products, although FAR more costly than we're willing to spend, are nifty.)

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
True for some it will be a fad, bit for others, it will be the start of a friendship!

I agree. Fashions come and go. Even if many kids are just trying to be fashionable, some will learn the joys and benefits of a pipe.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I am glad to see it out there. Reminds me of when it was common to see a pipe ad in a magazine or other circular. The plethora of pipe shops in my area is encouraging as well. There are 4 in my area, and a fifth 2 hours away, that are heavy with good pipes and tobaccos as well as their cigar stock. Must be something to it. :puffy:

chestercopperpot

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2011
This is totally off topic, but you want a fun catalog to look at: Hammacher Sclemmer, and this year they are featuring a motorcycle styled after the old fashion kids "big wheel" for a measley $75,000.
Lean Green Machine
The also have a clay pipe: Clay Pipe
That website has some amazing stuff. I definitely want that pipe.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I know 80 bucks for a clay is nuts! I want one but I have seen them for $6 and $9 that look very cool. You can find them in civil war reenactment web sites.
I use to work with some one who was into Steam Punk and lots of those people smoke pipes. If nothing more for the costumes they wear but they are buying pipes and tobacco.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
last time I cleaned out the sofa I was happy to find a quarter and one of the pens I like...

logandow

Jul 29, 2011
Oregon
I think it's cool that people my age are taking up the pipe. I have gotten several of my friends interested in this fine hobby. It's kinda funny to because I feel like a wizened old man explaining how the smoking works to wide eyed children

Status
Not open for further replies.