PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
So tonight several of my friends and I were sitting outside on my good buddy's covered porch sitting around his nice propane fire pit, smoking our pipes. When all of a sudden we here sirens all around us. Being a smaller town in the northwest we assumed that maybe there was some sort of car accident or something, but the sirens started getting closer. I said they are coming here I bet. Well, all of a sudden we see the lights turn onto the street and there was two fire trucks, the fire chief and a couple squad cars pull up. We were sitting there puffing away. The firemen jump out and expecting to see a fire somewhere but no just 5 guys with there pipes and a small ornamental fire pit. The cops and fire marshall come walking up and tell us they got a report of smoke pot smoker setting a house on fire. Well, we said no were are just five chaps who are enjoying a smoke and some discussion amongst one another. The cops asked what we were smoking and we said well it is not weed. Take a whiff, most of the guys smoke aros so there was a nice sweet smell in the air and the fire chief...says well I smell some nice pipe tobacco here. He looks at us and tells us next time invite me and I will sit an have a smoke with you all. So we were blamed for being pot heads and setting fires tonight. You know us pipe smokers with our bad reps and all.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I get weird looks whenever I smoke in public. Never had anyone come up to me directly and talk about it though. I was smoking an English blend one time in public, and there was a fire 20 miles away. Two ladies walk out of the cafe and one says "Wow, I can smell the fire from here." I just kept puffing away.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I rarely smoke in public. But when I know I'm going to be around other people, I try to pick a good "compromise" blend; I rarely smoke aromatics, but I might pull one out for this occasion. . . or something other than a full-bodied, latakia-based English.
As for reactions. . . When I've been close to a group and asked if they'd mind if I smoked, they've always said, "Yes, we mind!" . . . until I mention that I have a pipe. Then, I'm typically invited to light up! Otherwise, I can't recall any reactions one way or the other from adults. (I try to be very mindful of whether I'm bothering someone or not.) Children, however, routinely point at me and turn to their parents with odd expressions.
But that may have nothing to do with my pipe. . . ;)
Bob

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Now that's funny right there. :rofl:
I was at a drag race track once smoking on the top row of the bleacher so as not to bother anyone. A young man came up and said 'man what kind of stash it that?' I told him it is called Autumn Walk and it has Latakia in it. He says 'dude can I have some I got my pipe' Now I expected a dope pipe, but instead he pulled out a really nice Peterson and tapped out a dottle. 'I usually smoke aro's but that just smells great.' We sat there for an hour, watching the races smoking. You never know these days what will come out of the pocket.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
LOL!!
Being new to pipe smoking, maybe I just don't know the extent of the confusion or prejudice (whichever it is) towards pipe smokers... but your buddy's neighbors must be complete idiots! Pot smokers setting a house on fire??? Not even close.
On another note, propane fire pits sounds fantastic... I'd love to get one some day (maybe after we move, and if we have a back patio or something).
Glad there was a fellow pipe-smoker to clear things up a little!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I've had kids pointing at me when I was puffing in downtown Philly and calling me Sherlock. Maybe now with the new movies, if I had a churchwarden they would call me Gandalf?
One time I saw a guy feverishly puffing away outside a movie theater, but he was huffing down some RYO.
hp

les

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Unfortunately, that person probably did believe what they were reporting. Going to be difficult to prove they knowingly made a false report.

Status
Not open for further replies.