PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Oh the lowly cob. I too dismissed it early on as a little to "Hee-Haw". However, intrigued by what I read and heard I gave it a try.

Now I have one in regular rotation and a few back ups.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A well executed cob is probably a perfect marriage of form and function. I say that as a minimalist. I'm not a fan of overly carved, excepting meers, pipes. Neither do I like pipe shapes which stray too far from the traditional. I never complain about a wee bit of sterling here and there though.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I was telling some of the guys at Morley's Pipe Club that I have been dancing with my cobs more lately. This was initiated by the fact that we actually had nice weather a few weeks ago and I managed to have about 4-5 bowls. With that I had 4-5 pipes to clean. I wanted a bowl but didn't want to clean another pipe......insert cob. I got to have a bowl, clean my pipes, and when I was done I didn't have another to clean.
I am also finding that when I don't have at least 45 min but I want to get a bowl in I will reach for a cob. I did this yesterday and it was great.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Anyone who has been reading the forum posts from earlier days knows that I'm an inveterate cob basher.

But that was mostly in jest, and calculated to tease any self righteous rubes who refuse to acknowledge

the humble position these pipes occupy within the hobby. The truth is, I smoke a cob from time to time

just to get in touch with my inner rustic; and I freely admit that I would smoke them more often

-- and enjoy them more -- if the bowl diameters were larger, and MM offered an optional vulcanite stem.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I manage to smoke 3 cobs weekly although i have more.i have tasted tobaccos with a cob thought it was great smoked the same baccy in a briar and went back to the cob for that particular blend.Went for a walk in the woods with my wife today and lost my MM General. $7.95 oh well, i've got more

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I'm quite excited to read about White Knight, the companion tobacco to Black House. I love Black House. I'd love to try the new Missouri Meerschaum brand tobaccos too from Russ Oulette. Thanks for letting us know, Kevin!
Do we know which day of the Chicago show these blends will first be available to purchase?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
With 50+ briars in my collection, my cobs don't see the use they did in the past, but I still love them!

Though nowadays they're relegated to use while mowing the yard and fishing, they never fail to provide a great smoke.

As a matter of fact, I smoked my 2013 Chattanooga Pipe Show MM, with some PS Lux. Twist Flake, the other day while fishing. It was wonderful!

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
seriously they are a great deal, get one of those 10pack grab bags of pipes and you're set for a while with pipes.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Lol, now thats a collection. Well if you need more time with a cob i can always helpout with borrowing 1 of those 50+s lol

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I was truly a snob about cobs, until I tried one. What a fool!
These are a great, under-rated pipe that has always provided a great smoke. I love that creamy note of a new cob. Thanks, Kevin for linking to Russ' great article.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I keep 3 fresh cobs at the house at all times- anytime I have friends over for ribs, I'll fire up a cob for them...

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I much prefer my briars, but I have a couple cobs and they smoke well. They just don't have nearly as much flavor as my well broken in briars. For me they are pipes I use while doing yard work or scooping up dog poop. I like them, but don't love them like my briar pipes and my falcon.
You do have to clean them, though or they will get rank after a while.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
It took me awhile to come around to the cob. They just never appealed to me and the few I tried early on didn't smoke well for me... or I didn't know what I was doing.
I still prefer my briar but I can see the value of keeping a few cobs around. I find them enjoyable when I need a shorter smoke or just for a change of pace.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
My MM Country Gentleman is seeing more mileage than any of my other pipes. Actually, whenever I can't decide what pipe I want to smoke, I usually just grab that one or any of my other cobs instead. I had a buddy who was totally against cobs for a longgg time. His only blight with it was he hated the way it tasted in the first and only bowl he had and tossed the cob after. After giving it another chance, he's reaching for his cob more than his briars.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
For those who want to purchase the MM tobaccos or WhiteKnight, they'll be on our website by the beginning of next week. I will have samples of all of them at Chicago, but we don't sell anything at the shows.
Russ

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
I loce cobs for working around the yard or fishing. I'm never concerned about clenching, dropping them, or getting them dirty. And they always deliver a perfect smoke. It's like comparing a rescue mutt to a purebred retriever. Sure the purebred looks classy, but that mutt will die for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.