PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
My picture taking skills suck, as a disclaimer. I just grabbed this one from JnJ, and I think it's really well done. I know it isn't for everyone, but the execution and balance are superb. There are a lot of fun little details that I keep finding, and I enjoy that.
982kphn.jpg

6W5Lwuq.jpg

DnEoyJK.jpg

XzhP9Xv.jpg

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
I could put Escudo in one and deer tongue in the other. Something good, something bad. Kinda plays on the duality. I like it.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Wow. This pipe has everything. Half rusticated, half smooth. Does it play a little song as you puff?
I really like it.

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
Half blasted, I don't do rustication. It's different and not for everyone, for sure. That's what makes the world go around. There isn't one straight billiard that just says "pipe" on the side.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Very interesting pipe, I find the half smooth, half rusticated pipes sort of lose me. That pipe would have looked so much better being all smooth or all rustic, nonetheless it's a great shape with great grain. That grain is why I don't understand the rustication, the other side would have been great grain also, be it flame or birds eye. I love the shape and if it's as well balanced as you said it would be a beauty. Where did you get it and who made it?

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
It's sandblasted, not rusticated. There may have been a pit or something on one side, and rather than hiding the straight grain running along the top and birdseye on the smooth side, they only blasted half of it. You can notice the lines running lengthwise that would have made rings if the block would have been oriented as such, as they cascade down the side. Blasting to me enhances the look of some pipes, whereas rustication just covers it up. I have a Cavicchi and J Alan with a similar layout, actually. It's rare I find a partial finish I like, but this one did it for me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You're in my land now! I love a different pipe, especially with a good blast! Very, very nice!

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
Gig, this is my second one from those guys, my first being a club pipe for reddit. I like their style, and they generally make small to medium sized pipes, which I also like. I will attest to their pipemaking skills, great engineering. And yup, definitely unique :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It pulls me right in. I don't have any problem with any of it. I think the textures and balance

on the carving is brought together remarkably well. Lovely piece of design and execution. I

think time will make that one a sort of masterwork, not an oddity.

Status
Not open for further replies.