Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Full Virginia Flake Suggestions

(21 posts)
  1. eazye77

eazye77

Login to Send PM

Hey Family!

What are some other full Virginia flakes I could try besides Sam Gawith's brand? I was going to order it, but it is out of stock.

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogglor

Login to Send PM

My two favorite flakes are Sam Gawith Best Brown flake and McClelland's Blackwoods flake. I actually like Best Brown a heck of a lot more than I like FVF simply because it smokes better when young, requires less drying time and stays lit much better, and has a more nuanced taste. It has less nicotine than FVF as well. Depending on how you feel about Vitamin N, this is either a benefit or a drawback. Nicotine really doesn't affect me in any appreciable way when it comes to pipe tobacco so I tend to judge based on other factors.

Blackwoods Flake is a tasty medium bodied smoke. The way you feel about McClelland's "McKetchup" aroma (and that's what it is -- an aroma based on how it's cured and not a topping) is going to determine your enjoyment of this blend. Personally, I love it. It's what distinguishes that company's Virginia tobaccos from the rest of the pack.

Hope this helps.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good luck Eazy-E...I tried but didnt find one that satisfied my desire for SG FVF...of course I didn't try everyone available..I gave up and started grabbing SG everytime it became available

BTW P&C has it in stock, in bulk right now

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

acme

Login to Send PM

I know this isn't probably very polite, but the topic and its posts move me to act.
    At the Las Vegas show, I found some bulk, half-pound bags of 10+year old FWF. I asked the fine gentleman, the current owner, how much he was selling it for. He looked me over, and after a little calculation and previous history, saw a poor starving artist standing in front of him, so he said "$40."

I am a starving artist, but a bargain hunter, and if the tobacco had lasted ten years, I figured it wouldn't go bad in the next couple of years. I bought both of them, and then got one more at the silent auction table.

I have smoked one bag. It looks like stuck together, bad beef jerky. A little bit of a pain to smoke, but utterly wonderful; almost like molasses.

One of my buddys at the pipe store offered to purchase one of the bags; I guess he didn't want me to strain myself carrying it around. I shared some with him, but no way did he get a bag. Friendship is a mighty find institution, but you can carry a thing too far.

Thanks to the fine gentleman,
    anthony

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

+1 Bogglor. I, too, am not a huge fan of FVF and I won't be getting in the way of other puffers chasing around trying to find some.

I also find that BBF is better, and that McClelland makes the best virginia blends in the world with Blackwoods Flake among my favorite of the fine McClelland offerings.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Eazy, it it just a VA flake that you are after? Or a tobacco that is similar to FVF?

By the eternal! There is a man whose form should be cast in deathless bronze and the statue placed in every college in the land. It is not book-learning young men need, nor instruction about this and that, but a stiffening of the vertebrae which will cause them to be loyal to a trust, to act promptly, concentrate their energies; do the thing - "carry a message to Garcia!" Elbert Hubbard "A Message to Garcia" 1899
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. rcstan

rcstan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not a "full" VA flake, more of a medium bodied VA & Burley flake, but Gawith Hoggarth Best Brown #2 is a really nice baccy which I discovered not too long ago and keep a couple pounds on hand ....

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gawith Hoggarth Best Brown #2 is one of my favorites. I like FVF, and Best Brown Flake is nice, too, but Best Brown #2 is better (to me). It's full flavored, but also a little tangy and really soft on the palate. Plus, the flakes are really soft and rub out easily. They smoke nicely, too (1 or 2 matches is all I usually need).

If you like the darker taste of FVF, you might also like McClelland VA #22. It's not as molasses-like as FVF, but it has a richness and sweetness that is really nice. Like Best Brown #2, it's also virtually bite-free.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a BBF and FVF first and second. If you search you can find it. Buy what you can, it will only get better and more expensive.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Best Brown #2

I love this one too, but I keep wondering who came up with the name. Or is everyone else here more mature than I am?

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Blackwoods flake. I love FVF too, but they are quite different IMO.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
    that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights,
    that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep reposting this list from Cigrmaster, because I think it's so helpful. (Sorry if you've all seen this three times now!)

Virginia and Virginia/Burley Flakes
    Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug
    Fribourg and Treyer Vintage
    Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake
    Wessex Brown Virginia Flake TR
    Wessex Gold Virginia Flake TR
    Wessex Gold Brick
    Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake
    Samuel Gawith full Virginia Flake
    Hamborger Veermaster
    Dunhill Flake TR
    Astley’s no. 44 Dark Flake TR
    Solani Silver Flake TR
    John Aylesbury Luxury Flake TR
    Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired
    Esoterica Stonehaven
    Rotary Navy Cut
    Petersons Irish Flake
    GL Pease Navigator

Virginia/Perique Flakes
    Escudo
    Solani 633 TR
    Samuel Gawith St James Flake
    Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And "TR" means tin ready no drying needed.

Greg
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1/on cigrmaster's list/all great blends IMHO

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And "TR" means tin ready no drying needed.

Thanks for the clarification, Greg! I'd trimmed off Cigrmaster's intro and overlooked that little detail.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

IMHO, not enough attention is paid to SG's Medium Virginia Flake. Same complexity and body as FVF, but not strong, or as dark tasting.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

eazye, if you are looking for something strong and full flavored like the FVF I would recommend Petersons Irish Flake. If you want something a little lighter, SG Best Brown. Other nice ones that have some kick are Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired and Solani Silver Flake. If you can find any the Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake is just a great tasting flake that has a molasses sweet thing going on.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was lucky enough to receive a sample of FVF from a generous member. So I want to say thank you to that gentleman.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

Its in stock in 50g tin at smokingpipes

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is in stock. Limit three tins per customer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I for one would not look for an alternative when it's in stock

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   renfield, acbernsen, ghost, wilson, pitchfork, petes03, masspiper, oldredbeard, cuchulain, larrylegend, samcoffeeman, trailboss, kcvet67, agnosticpipe, bryanf, smeigs, tarak, woodsroad, acadianangler, ravkesef, troutface, hawke, brudnod, phil67, bphilli75, judd, psychpipes, didimauw, skapunk1, ae1pt, carytobacco