PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Excuse me, I was stuck on 250g Box. One Pound Box, uh yea, you’ll have to use a few jars.
With that much tobacco, you may need to cut the flake in half, so that you don’t have a large amount of air. For a 250g box, I used 2 16oz Mason Jars. The full Flakes fit in the jar in the shape of a U. The second jar didn’t have as much tobacco in it, so that’s the jar that I pull from. There is a large amount of air in that jar. If air is a concern for you, then cutting and filling smaller jars is the way to go.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I use several small half-pint jars -- using scissors to cut the flakes to fit. It takes time for me to go through one jar, so the rest of the tobacco can age undisturbed.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I use several small half-pint jars -- using scissors to cut the flakes to fit. It takes time for me to go through one jar, so the rest of the tobacco can age undisturbed.

+1

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Sutliff's 507C Va Slices comes really long. I cut them in half with scissors and then load up the 1/2 pint jars. A pound usually fits into about 4-6 jars depending on how much air you want to leave in the jars for aging. If you pack them as tight and full as you can there's less air in the jar and the aging process will greatly slow down or possibly not even take place at all.
After I load them up I then shuffle the jars to the very back of the cellar (my pipe cabinet), so I forget about them and they can age.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I precut as well, dividing it all up into smaller jars. And then I smoke one jar at a time. P. S. Haven’t seen FVF available at any online retailer for months. Got some CD Opening Night to distract me but it’s no where close (for me) to FVF. FVF is probably my desert island tobacco.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Haven’t seen FVF available at any online retailer for months

FVF was available at smokingpipes.com 2 days ago, Tuesday. It sold out quickly. It's around, you just need to chase it a bit.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
In retrospect, I wish that I cut. But I’m always concerned with getting the tobacco into jars fast, because of Mold Spores. I know, I’m :crazy:

Sep 18, 2015
I have been using 1/2 pint jars, 1 lb = 8 jars. I like a variety of different blends and have a lot of “open” jars that I smoke from, so the smaller jars make more sense for me.

weedsnager

Can't Leave
Jun 30, 2015
Nw Indiana
Just so I got this right, you guys cut the flake in half out of the box right ? That would then make the flake the same size as it would come out of the tin ?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I don’t think that’s what they are saying. The flakes in the 250g box have to be cut twice, to get the size that comes in the tin. With that, one of the flakes from the long strip of flake is shorter than the others. This being my experience from pulling a big ass long strip from the jar and cutting it. In hopes of getting that tin size flake.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Anyone have an idea where I could presently find the FVF 1 LB box? Europe? I’ve been looking pretty consistently at all the main online retailers to no avail.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Think Synjeco's Pipe Smokers Haven sells bulk FVF along with other SG goodies. Not sure if they have one pound boxes, but pretty sure about the 250g boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.