PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2016
Can anyone direct me to a good full strength tobacco? I've tried Nightcap, Frog Morton on the Town, Erik Nording's Hunter Blend Fox Hound, and Balkan Sobranie. All of which I enjoyed. Nightcap and Sobranie were recommended to me. Frog and Erik I tried on my own knowing they would suit a different role. Still I am hoping there is something a little stronger out there for the nights I want my bourbon instead of my scotch. I know many think Nightcap is as strong as it gets, and maybe it is. Here's to hoping for something stronger. Cheers!

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
There's plenty stronger than Nightcap. If you're searching for English blends, Ten Russians is said to pack a significant punch, although I don't have any personal experience. For non-english, I'd recommend a rope tobacco such as SG Brown No.4 or GH Happy(brown) Bogie. Those are about as strong as you can get. Condor is also very strong but has that Lakeland aro component. You could also get yourself some Five Brothers and mix it with whatever you like to smoke, also no personal experience but I've heard more than a few people add that to their blends for some extra kick.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Gawith Hoggarth Brown Irish X/ or happy Brown Bogie. (same to me just different diameters)

Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark (an unflavored version of 1792)

Both Nice, strong, and yummy

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Bayou Morning by C&D packs a good amount of strength. As does Irish Flake, university Flake, both topped but not really aromatic. Royal Yatch, and any of the Burley Flakes by C&D. Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Kranz, and Big and Burley are all by C&D and pack a punch. Elizabethan Mixture can be up there too. Some tobaccos will provide more strength than advertised. To me all of theee are stronger than Night Cap and better tasting. My favorite off them all though is my first suggestion, it's just good stuff.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Old dark Fired is great too, though I don't find it to carry that. If of a punch. Certainly is tastey!

Oct 3, 2016
Thanks for the responses everyone. Taste and tolerance is subjective so I know this isn't an easy topic. I look forward to trying all the recommendations. Cheers, CSA

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
For a real kick in the behind I would recommend Gawith & Hoggarth's Dark Flake (unscented). Failing that you might try the slightly milder (yet still powerful) Mac Baren HH Bold Kentucky.
Regards,
Jay.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Dunhill's - Royal Yacht.
Capt Earle's Ten Russians for a stout english blend.
C&D's - Mountain Camp.
Another nod for GLP's - Triple Play.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
1792 Flake, brown bogie, Irish flake, 5 brothers, three nuns will all give you a buzz. Also adding some cube cut burley to a blend will add some zing. I enjoy a strong tobacco and ropes are known among the strongest.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
C&D Exclusive - (%50 perique) sometimes feels like I'm smoking a hot pepper, and huge nicotine hit.

C&D Engine 99

Or maybe try a Strong cigar blend like Billy Budd or Habana Daydream...

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Haha! Lots of aromatics recommended! In addition to Five Brothers, ODF and Happy Brown Bogie I'd recommend Cotton Boll.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some sturdy blends, if you like burley -- not the upper edge of nicotine, just sturdy -- include any of the Tabac-Manil Semois, thick, medium, or shag cut (Le Petite Robin); and C&D Big 'n Burley, Dark Burley, and Burley Flake #1. This last by reputation, since I'm still aging my tin. GH Brown rope is supposed to be upper reaches of nic. 4noggins used to sell an extra full strength Tambolaka, but I think that one is out of stock, if not off the inventory.
As a personal note, I like to rotate with medium and mild blends along with full strength. I find it sets up the full strength tobacco, so you're not just chasing a nic high, which will develop a tolerance and leave you basically smoking what to you is a medium blend. Just a suggestion. Also, it pays to discover that pipe smoking isn't just a nic buzz.

sk806

Lurker
Oct 6, 2016
Thank you for asking this. I am new to pipes and was wondering about this same thing. I tried Irish Flake and liked it a lot, and was wondering if there is more to discover on the strong side.
Great answers here that will undoubtedly lead to orders placed...
Thanks again.
Steve

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
S G Brown #4 or Black XX. Both are strong with distinctive flavors. Didn't really like either at first but they've grown on me. However, not an everyday smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.