Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I'm really turning onto a Flake guy. I'm finding I mostly like Virginia, VaBur, and maybe VaPers but light on the Per :) Escudo is just too much on the spice side for me...I'll grow up eventually.
Anyway, I also find that I'm completely drawn to a full size flake....I really enjoy the fold and stuff method. I have numerous "broken" or "krumble" flakes- Blackwoods Flake, Christmas Cheer, etc....and various roll cakes like Escudo and PS LBF...but man I just love taking that whole flake, folding 'er up, and smoking it.
So I'm looking for other recommendations. Things I already have:

Capstan Blue

MacBaren ODF

OGS & Solani 633

MacBaren Vanilla Creme Flake (have yet to try)
Flavors I've enjoyed the most:

Blackwoods Flake

Capstan

MacB ODF

Solani 633
So I'm looking for other recommendations of "full size" flakes- where I can pull one out of a tin, stuff, & puff. It makes me happy thinking about it.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Well since it is not on your list I would assume you have not had Dunhill Flake and if you haven't you are missing out. Dunhill Flake is one of the best flakes I've had and like all Dunhill tobaccos it's not complex but it is amazing.

~Ron

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Get 50g FVF and try it now. Also BBF and SG Dark Flake (when you're feeling strong! lol) McQuaid's Square Cut is a good day-time smoke. Try Peterson's IF for a taste of the past. I could go on......LOL

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Try these:

Erinmore Flake

Either Sam Gawith or Gawith & Hoggarth's Chocolate Flake

Gawith & Hoggarth's Bright CR Flake

Stokkebye Luxury Bulls Eye Flake, Luxury Navy Flake, Luxury Twist Flake

Solani 660

Orlik Golden Slice Flake

Stokkebye 4th gen 1931

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Also I'm sure Roth and Harris will have plenty of suggestions.
I know Harris is a big fan of both the Fribourg & Treyer stuff as well as Wessex.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
From Dan Tobacco: Hamborger Veermaster, Tordenskjold, Patriot Flake

Greatly overlooked: Sillem's Mayor 1814 Flake, Sam Gawith Golden Glow (aka. MVF), Rotary Luxury Navy Cut

Flavored with the purist in mind: Peterson University Flake

Newminster: No.400 Superior Navy Flake, No.403 Superior Round Slices (coins, but pretty good)

Anything by Fribourg & Treyer: high quality. Read the descriptions to see what appeals to you.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong is pretty good. They also have a Golden Slice. They come in mini paint cans. The problem is fining them...

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
but (from another thread) you don't like to take time to prep
That thread was meant as a playful stab at my high maintenance nature. I could certainly chose for life to be simpler, if I so desired :)
I don't mind having to prep a tobacco, if the juice is worth the squeeze.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In terms of the perfectly formed flakes, here are the ones I stock.
Wessex Brown Virginia Flake

Wesssex Gold Virginia Flake

Dunhill Flake

Rotary Navy Cut

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, Vintage and Special Brown

Solani 633

Capstan Blue

Mac Baren ODF

Peterson University and Irish Flake

Astleys 44

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
That Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake is really nice. Licorice. I'm enjoying it right now. You need to get it out of the paint can and into a jar, though, as mentioned above.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Harris, great list. In particular, I wasn't sure that the Astleys No. 44 and the Peterson UF were actual flakes...my brain told me the 44 was a round cut and the UF was maybe a broken flake.
Thanks.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Tarak, the 44 are short square flakes, not as large as the Dunhill flake type, their 109 is a wrap around type flake. The UF is also a smaller square flake but very uniform. Same style as the Mac Baren ODF.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Just ordered 1 each:
Dunhill Flake

Astleys no. 44

F&T Cut V Plug

Peterson UF

MacB Mixture Flake

McC Christmas Cheer

McC Blakwoods Flake (100 gr)

McC Virginia #25

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
JF Germain Rich Dark flake is my favourite - the UK equivalent of Stonehaven. Erinmore Flake and McB Vanilla flake are also excellent

Status
Not open for further replies.