Full flavour, strong latakia, strong nicotine blend like Nightcap!?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Brigham Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
3 Fresh Askwith Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Right, I've come to terms that I don't get on with sweet tobaccos. They burn hot, taste acrid to me and toppings even make me feel a little sickly..
I like my baccy strong, raw tasting and pungent in the mouth. It took a while for me to figure out what I was looking for and I've come to the conclusion that although my sense of smell is above average, my taste buds good too.. but when smoking I taste alot of sour and acrid flavours. I put this down to sweet leaf. So lately I've been plunderng baccy shops for full flavour blends and raw things like twists. (too poor for regular cigars)
One that totally works for me in the aroma department and the taste buds is Nightcap. I've smoked a fair few latakia blends, but Nightcap seems to be the smokiest, yummiest, full falvoured one so far. And as I have a high nicotine tolerance, a good bump helps too!
Anything else out there that may hit the spot like it? and hopefully be as of high quality as Dunhill, can't argue with their world class products, even if I don't like most of their blends flavour.
Cheers guys

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, you can argue with the Dunhill marque. It was world class, but that was a few decades ago. Try any of several GL Pease blends, such as Quiet Nights or Gaslight. Std. Tobacco of PA: Smyrna and Bengal Slices. Several of The Seattle Pipe Club blends, but I am not yet familiar enough with them to recommend a specific blend.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I agree with deathmetal on Engine99 but its lighter in nicotine also maybe try Patton's Dark and Stormy, it has burley,latakia and some cigar leaf so its strong but not sweet.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
You may like Tsuge Ryujin (the dragon god). Description claims sweet Virginias, but I don't get the sweetness on my palette. If you like Nightcap you'll probably like their other medium/full English blends.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
I live in England, no suppliers of cotton boll twist due to legalities of the frigging packaging.. not law stopping a gift of it going through customs though, just sellers in shops etc. Shame as it's rumoured to be exceptionally strong, something I'd like to try out like alot of us do time to time.
I'll hit my american frien up and see if he can help out.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
These are my favorite medium-to-very strong Latakia & Non-Latakia's which may be more readily available to you in England:
Latakia

Ashton Artisan’s Blend

Dan Tobacco Old Ironsides

Dan Tobacco Bill Bailey’s Balkan Blend

Dunhill Durbar

MacBaren HH Latakia Flake

SG Balkan Flake

SG Commonwealth

Brebbia Balkan

Brebbia Latakia Flake

Germain Penzance

Germain Special Latakia Flake

Petersen Balkan Delight

Charles Fairmorn Lancer’s Slices

Charles Fairmorn Sterling Balkan
Non-latakia

SG ropes (Brown #4; Black XX; Brown “Happy” Bogie)

SG Lakeland Dark Flake

G&H ropes (Brown Irish Twist; Black Irish X)

G&H Dark Flake or Plug, unscented

Dunhill Royal Yacht

Five Brothers

Petersen Irish Flak

Rattray Stirling Flake

MacBaren HH Bold Kentucky

MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired

Germain Stonehaven
Although I have not smoked these tobaccos, they may also be available to you:

Galaher’s Condor; Murray’sWarrior Plug; G&H Revor; Mick McQuaid

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
+1 with jpmcwjr! GLP's Quiet Nights and Gaslight. Quiet Nights is my main One for this genre... absolutely scrumptious... and I have never had a bowl of this that wasn't a beatific vision, joy and delight, and epitomy of pipe-smoking! I also second the notion of Standard Tobacco of PeeAY's Bengal Slices and John Cotton's Smyrna... these two are also in my own top ten!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jack, cossack: Get some good American blenders in there!! Support our troops, and buy American (not always correlated!) Seriously, do yourself a favor! :twisted: m :)

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
@jpmcwjr: for the benefit of the OP, I omitted blends from the USA.

These are my favorite medium-to-very strong Latakia & Non-Latakia's which may be more readily available to you in England:
(emphasis added)
There are many American blends which are on my favorites list. I agree with @mcitinner1 that Cotton Boll Twist; it'll kick you in the head!
I forgot to mention 4noggins as a good source for obtaining tobaccos from the USA.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Have you tried any really strong perique blends? The reason I ask is that Nightcap contains perique, while many Englishes don't. That could be what sets it apart for you.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Not a big fan of perique tbh. Smells alright but I don't dig the spice all that much. I know it's in Nightcap but it's less obvious than others I've had.
Not sure I've had a particulalry heavy perique blend but I've had several tins of SG cabbies mixture, Dunhill Elizabethan mixture and a bunch of others I can't remember as they were a bit bland for my tastes.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Not a big fan of perique tbh. Smells alright but I don't dig the spice all that much. I know it's in Nightcap but it's less obvious than others I've had.
Not sure I've had a particulalry heavy perique blend but I've had several tins of SG cabbies mixture, Dunhill Elizabethan mixture and a bunch of others I can't remember as they were a bit bland for my tastes.
Well if you don't like perique, you don't like it.
It's funny: I've had a similar question as you. It seems that there's always some blend that people claim can one-up another blend on flavor/strength.
Strongest perique blend? Some will name C&D Exclusive, or whatever, but you can always go full perique...

Strongest nicotine bomb? No matter what you propose, someone will say some other blend was stronger... Cotton Boll Twist, Tambolaka, etc.
But strongest latakia bomb? Well, it just seems the answer is always Nightcap, which is a pretty common English blend. It doesn't seem that many others even come close. Those that do seem to be ultimately not quite as strong as Nightcap, though they come close.
It's a pity that Dunhill My Mixture #73 is out of production--it was supposedly a stronger version of NightCap, with 52% Latakia! I suppose you could recreate by blending more latakia into Nightcap.

c40bace3cb722f1324195783c6d149d0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.