Hi, I
Code:
<br />
<pre><code>a

ve just started smoking pipe tobacco. I
Code:
<br />
<pre><code>

m used to full flavor and chewy smoke cigars, so i`m ordering a few more blends:
English: Seattle Pipe Club Mississipi River or Plum Pudding

Vaper: Cornell & Diehl Night Train

Aromatic: Cult Blood Red Moon
Do you guys have any other suggestions?
Another question, I live outside the US and I use a forwarding company to buy tobacco, It usually takes 3 to 4 weeks for the order to arrive at my door steps. Is the Bulk packaging enough to prevent the tobacco from completely drying out in transit or should I spend more money and stick to tinned tobacco?
Thank You!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'd recommend spending a bit and getting the reserve version of Mississippi River and Plum Pudding. Bulk should be fine over three to four weeks.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Of course bulk is cheaper because the blender doesn't pay for tinning. The environment is different bulk packaging to tinned, so a difference is guaranteed. Those non-measured non-quantified, pesky volatile essences are said to escape outside of tins. So I think that you definitely lose something the longer the tobacco is outside a tin. Some bulk sits on shelves at the retailer for a long time. But I think these are minor compared to being subject to large temperature variations, and you don't know what delivery service has what conditions.
But lots of smokers have bought bulk and been fully satisfied with it. Your month-long transit is about as long as I'd feel comfortable for the tobacco, but were it me I'd pony up for tins.

rthbaum

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2012
You may want to give some of the blends with cigar leaf a try. G L Pease Key Largo & Robusto. I don't think it is available in bulk though.
Cheers and welcome aboard.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/cornell-diehl-billy-budd-pipe-tobacco/1472628/
Billy Budd
C&D Burley, Lat, Va blend with Maduro Leaf.
VERY pocketbook friendly.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Please do yourself a favor, rruiz, and get a tin each of MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired and HH Burley Flake. Based your cigar experience and palate these will be a very good start.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
PP and MR are not full flavoured though, they take a while to get into the taste is subtle in a way they grow on you.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
For the longest time I've read those claiming a palate saying that this or that blend has various overtones in the way that perique can either taste spicy or raisiny depending on the tastes of the tobaccos surrounding it. In my vocabulary that would be similarity. The questions I would put are how much sameness constitutes similarity, and also is sameness what we taste when we say two things are similar or are we perhaps taking a similar pattern of sameness and difference in the current taste that reminds us of a pattern of taste recalled from memory..
Meat that is grilled is prized for its smoky flavor but also the char, which is one element in the taste along with the steak itself. We know both tastes together but semantic memory stores the elements separately and blends them in recollection. Also, when Cumberland was released it featured a mahogany burley from a bale Pease and Tarler had bought. It was dissonant but exquisite, and I missed it when it was gone. So perhaps the pattern of taste here was strong support underneath exquisite dissonance.
I began thinking along these lines given npod's recommend of burley to the new member that comes from cigars. I thought, yes, flavor-bomb burley. But I hiccuped on my experienced with cigar tobacco which in my mind has a radically different taste than pipe tobacco. Did you know that the plants producing pipe and cigar tobacco are the same species? That the the great taste difference is attributed to climate and cultivation? My palate when I smoked was as much from error as accuracy, so please bear that in mind when I say that the only cigarish similarity of flavor born by burley is abundant flavor.
I invite replies, especially from those who can say what flavors in burley approximate those in cigars, or from those who find similarity is sameness or instead in its pattern.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
^^^very well said salted^^^

I agree completely. Cigars and pipe tobacco are very different, I don’t think we can ever compare taste directly, it’s apples and oranges. But for me the Burley’s and dark fired Kentucky give a similar mouth feel and body to a cigar, they “remind” me of smoking a cigar in a tangential way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I agree with npod that a pipe tobacco cigar leaf blend isn't a cigar experience, but cigar leaf can be a fine condiment, added to many blends. C&D has a good cigar leaf, as do other brands. I add cigar leaf mixed only a bowl or three at a time, when I crave that flavor as a pipe tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.