PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
What's the difference between the 440 and the 283, is the the size of the 440?
Yes Lou, the 440 is the larger of the two. Al has examples of both, he can speak to the details.
:)

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I think the 440 might be a bit larger, but not by much; it's far from unwieldy. On the contrary it feels great in the hand. I should add that I think Neill Roan believes the 283 is an earlier version of the 440. I've never actually done comparative measurements. I'll try to remember to do it when I'm home tonight.
In any case I have two 440s, one made by Comoy as a private label pipe for Siegel Brothers of Cleveland:
comoy-440-made-for-siegel-brothers.jpg

And the other made by Comoy as an entry in their Lord Renfrew sub-brand:
comoy-440-lord-renfrew-sub-brand.jpg

Both are clearly stamped 440

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nope, they are identical in every dimension. For some reason, the 283 shape was changed to the 440. No one is exactly sure when, or why. I have a 283, which is why I can sell the 440. Neill A. Roan mentions the shape number change in his Blue Riband book. My 283 weighs 44 grams, and the 440 43 grams.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Congrats to you and to the Capt. It's a beautiful pipe, and one of my favorite shapes.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Because I'll never be able to post this picture again, here's the 440 (foreground) and my 283 together, peas in a pod!

Now I have to close this one before Javan shuts it down!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Al, I am really sorry but I had to reopen this thread. Can you please tell me more about that Peterson?

Moved this one to Pipe Talk.

Btw, I have to fix my reputation.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
Great stuff, right there, Al! Thank you Jon for your input as well.
Under the most unfortunate and downright tragically sad occurrences, that being the passing of my first and longest friend from the NY Pipe Club, Dan Silverstone, I was able to hand pick both a Blue Riband and a Tradition, shape 283, both in like new condition, from my old pal, the late Dan Silverstone's collection. They are absolutely beautiful pipes, Comoy's really knew how to cut a pipe from a block. I smoke them in Dan's memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.