PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I'm just a little frustrated right now, as I cannot seem to figure out what tobacco blends I like the most without buying a lot of tobaccos.

I have tried some local blends from my B&M, cheaper bacci blends, and Dunhill 965 and the Dunhill morning blend.

I have already noticed that aromatics aren't my favorites and although Dunhill is good, I guess I can't quite place it on a scale.

How will I know when I've found the one blend for me? Will it just click?

How long did it take any of you to find that "one" or maybe two blends? Did you go through many many tobaccos?

Thanks guys.

Just a little disheartend because I see so many options and I don't know where to start!

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Twenty years, dozens & dozens of blends tried, dozens in my cellar yet to open, a list of "want to try" blends that grows by the week... I'll let you know when I find my one or two top blends, or (likely) will die trying. :lol:

thbg

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2011
The Journey is the best part. I know what I don't like, but I am still impressed by the new things that I try that blow my mind...in pipe tobacco smoking and otherwise in life.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I just gotta lighten up!

Guess this is an opportunity to smoke more tobacco then I could ever want! Thanks guys! I thought it was a quicker process but seems as if you just find ones you like and others you don't.

Is the newbie sampler trade on this forum?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
If you like EMP and 965 but not aros, it sounds like you may prefer English/Latakia blends. EMP is pretty light, flavor-wise. For some variety, try Frog Morton on the Bayou, H&H Magnum Opus, GL Pease Sextant, Esoterica Penzance, H&H Black house, 3 Oaks Syrian and SG Squadron Leader. That's got everything from Mild to Wild and will definitely give you a scale upon which you can judge English blends!

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Thank you so much! I will look into many of those.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate aromatics but I like that "real" tobacco taste... Nice and BOLD like black coffee.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I just keep ordering different tins. I have not really found a favourite yet, discovered I am not a huge fan of aromatics though they have their place at times. Its hard for me, can only keep my orders small and have to order online.

slowpuffer

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2012
I think that due to the wide array of flavors available in pipe tobacco, very few of today's pipe smokers pick just one or two blends. It is kind of like fine food, you like to explore different flavors. This is part of the joy of smoking tobaccos. I like a lot of blends and cannot imagine just picking one or two of them to smoke. Also, your tastes will evolve. As a child, my favorite foods were hamburgers and pizza. Then I grew up and now I enjoy more complex and exotic dishes. Similarly, I started out with aros, moved to only English blends, and now I smoke Virginia based blends.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Some of the English blends I reccommended have really big, complex flavors. If you like bold tastes and the natural flavor of the tobacco, then those will serve you well!

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
Sounds like you might also like something along the line of Dark Birdseye.

Baronsamedi gave a very good list to get you started. Sample, sample, sample.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Hi Waznyf, I can relate completely to you. I read somewhere, maybe here, that for a beginner this tin-try approach is like learning liquors from a cocktail bar without knowing what the ingredients mean. Even if you could finish the menu, you will end non the wiser. Instead, I was recommended to get the basic tobaccos and try mixing myself, according to my tastes; learning in this try and error why I like this mix better than the other: Smoke, aroma, nicotine, sweetness. This way, I should be able to understand and foresee what the flavor of a tin will be like, reading its ingredients, and being able to make a knowledgeable critic to them.
I'm on that road. For the moment, I find myself a lot more towards being heavy on the black cavendish when mixing for an evening pipe, and more for Virginia pureness in the morning pipe. I guess because I crave nicotine more in the morning and the night asks me for a more relaxed steamy smoke but light nicotine.
I guess it is still trying to understand all cocktails knowing whiskey, vodka and rum, what we have to start somewhere...

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I just did that this morning!

Took a few of my blends and put them together accordingly to how much of what I wanted up taste.

Guess I'll see later if it'll make for a more enjoyable smoke.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Great! What did you mix? My evening blend is 3/4 black cavendish and 1/4 virginia+burly. The morning one has 2/3 broken virginia flake, 1/3 virginia+latakia.

Status
Not open for further replies.