PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
So tomorrow is my Birthday and I will be 34 years old. The wife asked what I would like as a gift, she apparently hasn't put much thought into what I may want. I wanted to say, "You could get me a new pipe from one of the distributors on my pipe forum." Alas she does not want anything to do or to support my smoking habbit, she would rather me quit all together and we have gone round and round on my "Dangerous" hobby. So I told her a video game or a romantic evening to look more on the cheap side for her. And maybe I can get a pipe later down the road.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Hey im in the same boat, Liz hates everything to do with my pipe, but that doesnt effect me smoking it, I just wont ever get a pipe as a present from her, thats fine with me I guess. Just have to make other plans

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Happy Birthday! I was lucky enough that my girl bought me my first pipe, and continues to accept and support my pep smoking. She thinks it's sexy!

mike68

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2011
I guess my missus just realizes I'm not gonna listen to her anyways! Ha! Happy Birthday man...keep the peace and move on...best way to do it!

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
1. Happy birthday
2. I would think that by now she would understand that you're old enough to make decisions for yourself, being that you are 34 and presumably not going to be "changed", and that because you are considerate to her about your enjoying smokin a pipe, she would respect that enough to see that the man she loves has things that he enjoys doing, just like she does, and to accept it and continue to support you as your wife.
But hey, I'm not Dr. Phil or something, so keep on keepin' on

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I would think that by now she would understand that you're old enough to make decisions for yourself, being that you are 34 and presumably not going to be "changed", and that because you are considerate to her about your enjoying smokin a pipe, she would respect that enough to see that the man she loves has things that he enjoys doing, just like she does, and to accept it and continue to support you as your wife.

Shit Adam, are you sure you're not Dr. Phil?

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
A happy birthday to you, Toker.
I understand your frustrations. I've been through similar situations of irreconcilable issues in past relationships. As we grow older, some people become very set in their ways, forgoing tolerance and ignoring logic, reason, and mutual respect (your hobby).
One suggestion I might offer that may get you a pipe and communicate a message to her would be to ask for one of those prepaid credit cards. It's a way of saying, "You've now given me a non-committal gift with which I can buy something that will make me happy. I get a pipe and, since I bought it with your gift, your conscience is clear."
Not sure how that would go over, but in my mind it's not so abrasive to start an argument.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
My first wife asked me what I wanted for our anniversary and I said, "a bullet". There weren't many anniversaries after that! :rofl:
I know it's hard to resist the call of PAD, but there's got to be something else you need, like tools (coughs: wood lathe), or maybe she can wake you up in that "special way" on your birthday.

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
Happy Birthday Tokes, :clap: I'm lucky my wife supports my pipe and cigar smoking, says she likes the smell of my pipe. Don't fret the wife, she loves you and wants you to be around for a while. :puffy:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Nice one, Cortez!
But to be fair, there's a rookie who just started posting recently whose spelling and grammar make Toker look positively erudite.
It's your birthday, Toker... buy yourself something nice.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Happy Birthday Toker!
Enjoy what you like, life is too short to sweat the small stuff. Prohibition merely strengthens resolve, lol.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
3 things: Happy Birthday, xherish your wife, go buy a pipe to celebrate. My birthday is next week and my wife is throwuing me a 60th party but I bought a Nording Signature pipe for myself. She's happy and I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.