PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I have three pounds of Old Dark Fired due to be delivered tomorrow and we have been hit with an arctic blast, well below zero with the wind chill.
Think this will have any effect on the ODF?

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
If you look at the procedure for killing off tobacco beetles the important thing is to return the tobacco to room temperature gradually. If it's frozen I'd put it in the refrigerator for a day. This would be less of a stress on the cell structure. Having gone through the freezing process I found the tobacco was perfectly fine afterwards.
Craig

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Cigars are required to be moved to the fridge after freezing as rapid thaw will cause the wrapper to crack. This is not the case with pipe tobacco. There is no risk to you tobacco by pulling it inside and letting the house warm it up naturally. That being said, you will risk the seals poping on the tins due to the rapid temperature change. I receive tobacco in below zero weather regularly and have never bothered moving it to a fridge for a day. I have been sure to check the seals, and if one poped, I move it to a mason jar.
Your tobacco will be fine!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Tobacco should be kept relatively dry so being exposed to very cold temps and then brought into a warm house will cause excess moisture to build up.
I don't know the answer but I suspect putting them in the fridge at first is a good idea.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I am not a science major, but I don't understand how a temperature change could add moisture to tobacco. If the tin is sealed, and is moved from a cold to a hot environment, I agree condensation may form, but it would be from the moisture already present in the tin. So I do not see how this would hurt your tobacco.
As I said above, I have received somewhere close to 25 pounds during sub freezing temperature and am yet to have any issues arise, other than tins losing there seal. Unless I am missing something, there is no ill effect to the tobacco if it has to sit in freezing weather for a couple hours.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
If the tin is sealed, and is moved from a cold to a hot environment, I agree condensation may form, but it would be from the moisture already present in the tin.
You could be right about tins, not really sure - but mrenglish stated 3 lbs worth coming in, so I imagined bulk packages rather than tins, but perhaps I assumed incorrectly.
there is no ill effect to the tobacco if it has to sit in freezing weather for a couple hours.
Yeah, I should add that I agree if it's only a couple of hours.
Once again I assumed he would receive delivery while at work, meaning the tobacco could be sitting in a mail box for several hours.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It's all bulk. Fortunately I am at home today so will be here, but its been in Ohio since late on the 31st. I imagine it just sits on the truck before being taken in and sorted.
On a nice note, UPS sent an email giving me a four hour window of delivery instead of the usual "end of day" status.
Thanks for the responses, everyone.
I've wondered if the shipping can impact the aging of tobaccos from Europe. They are probably loaded into the bulk shipping containers so would be essentially be out in the elements. I imagine the containers would get pretty warm inside, in effect slightly baking the tobacco as it makes its voyage across the sea.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I, too, am awaiting an "By end of day" shipment via UPS. It's 12F here and the tobacco - both bulk and tinned - has been on a truck since Monday in transit. Hence, thanks for advice. Now....I wish it would GET here!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks leacha.
The ODF arrived and was very cold but not frozen, thankfully. I opened a box up and put it my smoking container and aside from being really cold, it was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.