PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Each Christmas season in my town a fella who has several buildings in his car dealership puts big baloons of Christmas figures on top of them.Again this year Frosty is smoking a pipe.This is on the main drag.Several thousand cars pass Frosty each day.I don't know why he does this.It's just nice to see someone with the back bone to stand up to those who force their values on everyone else.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Maybe he doesn't even think about it? My parents and grandparents for the longest time always had older Christmas stuff where Santa or Frosty would always have a pipe in their mouths. It wasn't until I became aware that censorship had removed the pipe from books and advertisements that I noticed it had happened on newer decorations as well. In any case, it's nice to keep tradition alive.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
In any case, it's nice to keep tradition alive.
Fact is we're dinosaurs. But nonetheless, I do feel it's important to keep the tradition of pipe smoking alive. After all, it's a very important part of our heritage in the Americas.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Was watching "Frosty the Snowman, Frosty Returns" the other night with my boys and saw that they kept Frosty with his corn cob pipe. Even though it was released in 2007, it was nice to seen they didn't remove his pipe. Though Santa may have put down the pipe in recent releases of classic Christmas tales, its nice to see Frosty still clenching down on that cob.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Just like when I notice a Corvair van wherever one appears in my purview, I now notice pipes in old movies, tv clips, and adverts.

I have fond memories of my van. I later replaced it with a VW window van that provided years of dependable service and a comfortable ride.

adam12

May 16, 2011
The real question is, what blend was his preferred, and did he have a collection other than cobs?

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
He's strictly a cob guy. Contrary to popular belief, he does not use a Forever stem. He also does not cellar any tobacco. It's highly unlikely that he will last until March -- what's the point?
Lately, he's be smoking Sam Gawith Winter Time flake.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I wonder when the lyric will change from "with his corncob pipe and his button nose" to "with his lollipop and his button nose"...

adam12

May 16, 2011
They already made a decision on how to deal with the issue of smoking in the lyrics.
In the sequel movie "Frosty Returns" from 1992, they WHISTLED the entire first verse (straight through the smoking reference) and started singing with the second verse which doesn't mention smoking.
Of course this is total bullshit.
Especially since the president at the time was smoking lots and lots of cigars and his blue-dressed mistress was not frosty by any stretch of the imagination.

Dec 24, 2012
In the sequel movie "Frosty Returns" from 1992, [...]
Of course this is total bullshit.
Especially since the president at the time was smoking lots and lots of cigars and his blue-dressed mistress was not frosty by any stretch of the imagination.
Jesus! George H.W. Bush smoked cigars and had a mistress too?

adam12

May 16, 2011
LOL! You guys got me.
Actually, there was a rumor of GHWB sneaking around. It's in GWB's new memoir about his dad. Apparently there was "another woman" and he confronted his dad about it once. I haven't read the book yet.
But I wasn't talking about him. Apparently I need to be more clear about "presidents with mistresses"!

Status
Not open for further replies.