PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
My neighbor called me up this morning to tell me to meet him outside and see these frost flowers. I'd never seen them before, but they were spectacular! They were in an area of about 300 square feet by a small pond on his property, and only at the base of one particular plant. I guess the freezing temps force the moisture out slowly from the not frozen plants at ground level, and the moisture freezes in ribbons. Was quite a strange thing to see. Nature, gotta love it! :clap:
img_0277-600x449.jpg

img_02721-449x600.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Not sure what the plants are, but they are about 2 foot tall stalks, with frost damaged long leaves. My neighbors property is about 23 acres, and ours is adjoining it with about 26 acres. There is so much stuff growing on this heavily wooded land here in Mississippi, I have no idea what it all is.
Here's a couple of more pics.
img_0279-449x600.jpg

img_0280-600x450.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the South (I'm in N.C.) landscapers plant pansies in the fall, and because even heavy snows stay down

for only three days to a week before melting off, the flowers survive just fine and come up blooming

when the snow melts. It seemed peculiar to me, having grown up in the midwest, where the freeze kills

off all the shallow rooted plants at least to the ground. When the summer heats up, people pull up the

pansies and plug in flowers that take the heat. These frost flowers are a spectacular show -- I've never

seen them here.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Kinda cool weather for Mississippi ain't it? I've seen frost flowers a couple of times in the woods around here. They are beautiful.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I saw some of the same frost structures here in southern Il. once while deer humting. The hiining was lousy, but i was utterly stunned by those strange frost spirals i saw. Me and my brother never met anybody else who had ever seen them before. They were on a hillside just after dawn. They were mesmerizing to find in the woods. Thanks for posting!

Jan 8, 2013
I almost didn't look at this thread... I've never been much of a flower guy. I didn't want to look at a bunch of flowers. That's all I thought this really was. Curiosity got the best of me however, and I'm glad I opened the thread. That is just neat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.