PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
This may be answered already so sorry if it has. I feel as though if i can smell the tobacco through the unopened tin, it is not staying fresh.
Is it a bad thing to transfer all new tobacco from tin to a mason jar for long term storage?
Thanks for the help and keep smoking!

Jul 12, 2011
Some tins like Solani are not vacuumed sealed so they

must be transferred to jars if long term storage is the plan.
Also you could have tins that had a bad seal, in which case,

also pop them and transfer to jars for storage and to keep

them fresh and from drying out on you...
I have had a couple of tins that looks like they where gonna

explode on my so I popped them (carefully ) and put into

jars

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If you plan on mostly smoking just that blend and will probably finish the whole tin a week or two then it should be okay to leave the blend in the tin. If you're just trying it out you might want to get a mason jar for it, because if you don't like the first few bowls you can always store it for a few months and revisit it later without having to worry about it drying out.

lordwolf

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2013
United States
I always toss my tobacco in mason jars. Even if its sealed I will pop them open, enjoy the fresh smell, and toss it in a jar. Keeps it fresh, neat, and I like being able to see my tobacco. ^_^

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I never open a vacuum sealed tin and transfer it to a jar. I like how the tobacco ages in their original tins. Nothing like cracking a 15 year old tin and seeing how dark and moist the tobacco is after all those years.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
It really depends, pal.
My Hearth and Home 8 oz. tins are jarred within hours of hitting my doorstep while the Escudo tins get tucked away in the darkest corner of my closet. On the other hand, most of my 50 gram tin "one offs" find their way into small Kerr or Ball jars within a day or two of opening.
Roth has frequently commented about glassing his tobacco and I follow his advice about 90% of the time. The remaining 10% I'm giving over to Peck and Harris after seeing pix of their incredible tinned - for the best part - collections.
I don't have a lot of experience with OTCs, save Half & Half, but a very gracious member of this forum was kind enough to send me several samples. I liked what I smoked and I can promise you, Mrjerke, that every 14 oz. plastic tub I purchase will await the apocalypse in a mason jar.
Fnord

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I should also mention that the only tins I might transfer are the pop top ones I have from GL Pease. I will take a look at them around the 5 year mark to see how they are doing. If I think they need jarring I will do it, but I am hoping they won't need it. Those types of tins had problems back in 01 and 02 where they showed signs of rust and the tobacco inside dried up. I believe that the square and round tins that are vacuum sealed should be left as they are because the tobacco ages differently than when it is jarred. When I cracked a couple of tins from 1997 last summer, the tobacco inside was absolutely perfect. It had aged incredibly well so I go with the theory if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
If the tin is properly sealed you should not be able to smell the scent of the tobacco. Play it safe and put it in a mason jar. Then you can be sure of the air-tight seal. No need to wax the top. You are not canning fruit here. Just screw the lid on tight and check it now and then for tightness.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Can you open a stored jar several times to access the tobacco? Or is it a seal and tuck away till you are ready to finish the whole jar?

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Repeated opening of an air-tight tobacco container lets in fresh air. The more open space in the container, the more fresh air will come in to dry out your tobacco. For daily-use-air-tight containers, I suggest that if the tobacco feels too dry, use a small spray bottle of water and give two or three squirts to the underside of the top lid of the container. That will assist in keeping your air and tobacco at proper moisture. Do not spray the tobacco directly.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.