PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
Below is from the front page of the Boswell Website.
*PROHIBITION is now happening with online TOBACCO ORDERS and BOSWELL PIPES !!!
Credit card processors have decided that they will no longer process transactions for us, since we are an online tobacco retailer. We can still continue our service for you, if we go back to the "old school" way, by sending a check or money order for your pipes and tobacco. J.M. started a mail order tobacco business in the mid-seventies, and Boswell Pipes can still guarantee you your favorite blends today. They haven’t taken away our phones and e-mail yet!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
8O
Holy crap.
So many thoughts...
1) It boggles my mind that a credit card company or processing company is playing this card when they usually operate in such a penny gouging and mercenary manner. This just seems out of character when there's money being left on the table. Does this mean that Boswells cannot process credit cards or debit cards at the B&M?
2) I wonder if Boswells are part of any retail member based associations or federations that can aid them in acquiring a new processor. (like the National Retail Federation or some such...)
Wow.
-- Pat

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Mike at Mars Cigars had this same issue. Maybe someone should ask him abou how he resolved it?

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Their website says they still can take credit cards at their B&M. It sounds fishy. I've seen other places make similar statements about non tobacco items. The reason being that the credit card companies up-ed the percentage of what they take for each transaction. Why would they hit Boswell's in PA and not Cigars International (and now Pipes and Cigars) if it's a state thing, and why not all the other sites too if it is a national thing?

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
No one said it was a state thing.
It is simply the certain Credit Card processor they use.
Sounds like they need to change the company. This has happened a few times to different vendors.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks Jeff for the post. Tis a shame. Right now there may be workarounds like PayPal, but if it does work, it's a loophole they're bound to close soon enough.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Sounds to me like Boswells is in the same league with Tewksbury, I assume they are both good companies but kinda "old school". I know that not being able to use Paypal or a CC is the reason I have not made anymore purchases from Tewskbury. I have not dealt with Boswells but when I made a purchase from Tewksbury they seemed to be fantastic at customer service but it is just not worth it for me to call to make an order and get a total price then go get a money order and mail it, then wait for it to get there and then they ship the baccy. Not as convenient as P&C or 4Noggins.

Jul 12, 2011
Here it comes... Better start stock'in up those cellars brothers and

sisters of the briar....only a matter of time....
That way when the wave finally hits all of us polite brothers

& sisters of the briar can say...... "Suck It!" ;-)

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Man what a crappy time to get into a hobby, just when I've fallen in love with it, the sky is about to fall in on it. I don't know if I have the time left to get enough cellared, nor enough money to start stocking up. Kids don't need 3 meals a day right?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Man what a crappy time to get into a hobby, just when I've fallen in love with it, the sky is about to fall in on it.
+1
I am reasonably lucky in that I hope to have 3-4 years cellared (buying the most inexpensive tobacco that I still enjoy). After that, who knows what the situation will be, but I don't expect it to be good.
In fact, not to depress anyone further, but I fear with various health plans and more clamping down, it could eventually become illegal (like they're aiming for in NZ).
:crazy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I know JM pretty well, there's no way he's using Paypal. He's angry right now, at the credit card company he uses for processing. He was angry about it the last time I visited and wanted to use my debit card. He might be better served by looking for another vendor (they are all over). Last month, I noticed in the shop he charges a higher price per ounce of tobacco when paying with a credit card. He's old school and can be somewhat stubborn. I suspect this may be his way of avoiding having to post two different price points on his website.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I like Boswell's tobacco and pipes, and they are fantastic people. No biggie for me to make a call and write a check. I still have a check book, and I still know how to write.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Stocking the cellar might be prudent, but I hope it's not a substitute for serious political action, if that becomes necessary. Maybe it has, already. I don't know.
Question: anyone know why the credit card companies and processors are making noise about tobacco products? Maybe I haven't paid enough attention to the issue, but why has it become an issue at all?

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Question: anyone know why the credit card companies and processors are making noise about tobacco products? Maybe I haven't paid enough attention to the issue, but why has it become an issue at all?

I am wondering the same thing, especially when everyone is lobbying to legalize marijuana which when inhaled( I know alot of people don't inhale LOL) is more harmful physically than (tobacco) pipe smoking when you don't inhale. :crazy:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have to wonder if this is related to proposed sales tax legislation. Someone is going to have to keep track and submit to the states. I don't know how it works now but I assume when you use a card and there's sales tax on it the credit/debit card compnies have to send the tax to the pertinent state. This would greatly increase the card companies' work load. Just wondering.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
IIRC, in their view, it was necessary, at least in part, because when ordering tobacco online, there is no way to verify the customer's age.
Thanks, roth. I admit, I didn't follow the Just For Him story at all, but this thing about verifying age might be a rationale, but I'd bet that's not the reason. I say that because age verification has been a problem (or not) for decades. I wonder what's changed or what else is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.