PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
5a704639-dfb0-4eae-b66e-eeeb5a0a0d90-600x450.jpg

When my Russian wifes’ mother passed away she had to leave quickly and I couldn’t accompany her without a visa.

When she came back though, she brought me some meerschaums and tobaccos from Russia.

Partial translation; she’s my princess and I’m her tiger! :puffy:

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
That would be nice! But I’m afraid that the Turkish ban on the exportation of raw meerschaum extends to Russia as well.

There are no signatures or makers’ marks on the pipes or their cases, just those slips of paper inserted inside.

My mastery of Russian is poor at best, but I can sound out the words enough to tell you that the last word on those papers is Russian for “Turkey”

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
gatorlope, I, too, have a Russian wife and had a similar experience when her mother passed a few years ago. Give your wife my condolences. My wife is currently at our place in Russia. I will be going there in the fall for the first time. Since she inherited a place, she spends time there annually, as will I when I retire (not soon enough). I always have her bring back Cubans and other goodies. I am looking to buy some pipes and tobacco to start my Russian cellar when I go.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
The text on both papers is translated as 'smoking pipe (made) from sea foam (meerschaum). Made in Turkey'. I guess everybody knows what the text on the tobacco says.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Putin, a nonsmoker, has gotten serious about tobacco health over the last few years. Taxes on all forms of tobacco have risen sharply, warning labels have been strengthened, and lots of restrictions have but put on various public smoking. This time it’s a little of East imitating West :roll:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Dcon, Hope this war on the smoking' tendency in Russia won't go further on,I do travel there quite often since our border-crossing is close enough to my location,but Yes, there are quite a few decent online tobacco shops existing in Todays Russia, hope they will stand the test of the time.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Hey, guys, during my trips to Kyrgyzstan & Russia (almost 20 years ago now) I never saw anything resembling a pipe shop. I do know my wife was in Krasnodar when she found these.

Are pipe shops just diminishing and disappearing every where?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Partial translation; she’s my princess and I’m her tiger!
I wish I felt the same way towards my Greek mother-in-law. I just wish her eternal peace soon, for my wife's sake. Cool pipes and great tobacco! She's a mensch.

Status
Not open for further replies.