From Aromatics to my First English... Suggestions Please!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dechuckie

Lurker
Apr 23, 2014
Greetings, all,
Last spring, as a complete Newbie, I posted to the forum asking all of you for your most highly recommended dry-smoking, aromatic blends. I got plenty of great suggestions, and as a result, I’ve been wandering my way through several 2-ounce tins of various Virginia, Cavendish, and burley-based aromatics. It’s been a fun journey, however, I feel like it’s time to expand my pipe-smoking horizons.
I’m now ready to make the leap into the world of English tobaccos… but where to begin?
I picked up a brand new, inexpensive board pipe from my local to B & M that I am dedicating solely to this English experiment. I also have a couple new cobs I could use, if necessary.
Now I just need a place to start…
Some questions to direct suggestions:
1. What was the very first English blend YOU liked? Do you still smoke it?

2. Do you smoke both aromatics AND English blends?

3. Do you have an all-time, every day favorite blend of either type?
Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks so much!

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
For an aro lover I can't think of a better on-ramp to English blends than Frog Morton's Cellar.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I smoke both aromatics and non. My first was Nightcap, this is distinct and strong, but very good. For a more everyday type smoke I really like Frog Morton Celler and Early Morning Pipe, both have their qualities that make them enjoyable. Be sure to try Virginias as well as English blends. I think a Virgina may be a better start as they have a natural sweetness to them most of the time.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Any of the Frog Morton blends are great in their own right, but I would recommend starting with the Frog Morton original simply in order to get a baseline. I also highly recommend Peretti's D – 9575 as a good crossover blend and D-7485 as a very good English. then you can start trekking through the various Parretti's blends, any of which are fine tobaccos and worth your time to get to know.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
For a mild English, try Sutliff Private Stock Sunrise. Dunhill Early Morning Pipe is also nice and just a touch bolder than Sunrise. For more of a mild virginia flavor try McClelland Deep Hollow. Happy Puffin', :puffy:
Dave

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
GLP Kensington would be a good first blend. I am also a fan of the Green label McClelland blends. Nice, a little spice, incense and a pretty nicely aromatic (in a natural way) aroma and taste.
Mike S.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
GLP Kensington would be a good first blend. I am also a fan of the Green label McClelland blends. Nice, a little spice, incense and a pretty nicely aromatic (in a natural way) aroma and taste.
Mike S.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
For transitional aromatic or American-style English blends, it would be hard to top Pipeworks & Wilke. These types of blends are their specialty. I suggest No.5, Pipemaker's Choice, and Bestmake.

1. Dunhill 965. No. My go-to non-aromatic Latakia blend is Balkan Sasieni.

2. Yes, but why choose between the two? I like them best combined as an old style American-English blend, such as those still available from Pipeworks & Wilke and Peretti.

3. I probably smoke more of Wilke No.5 than any other blend of this style.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My first Latakia blend was Newminster's Ultimate English. I almost choked when I opened the box it came in. The smell was overwhelming!

It was strange at first char, but somehow alluring. The more I smoked the better I enjoyed it. It burned so nicely w/o much fiddling. The tastes were arousing and mellow at the same time.

My next was Nightcap, and like Escudo, this blend is a must have. Nightcap presents a bouquet of flavors.

As far as aros, I do smoke some, including P&C BOR!...it's potluck, but mine is delicious and nutritious. (n)

My all day or most often smoked are my codger blends. SWR, PA, & CH. All perfectly enjoyable and affordable tobaccos.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
So, when you say English, I hear latakia blend. Not the true definition, but I am guessing that is what you mean?
The first latakia blend I liked was Penzance

I don't smoke aromatics at all anymore- but I mostly smoke Virginia flakes

My 'all day' favorite English right now would probably be Ten Russians- it is pretty strong.
For a beginner, I recommend trying Stokkebye Proper English or Lancer's Slices. Both can be bought by bulk ounce, reducing the cost of your experiment.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
I smoke and enjoy both but leaning more and more towards English every day. My first English was "Frog Morton on the Bayou" and to this day it is my favorite. It was recommended as a intro to English and it did not disappoint. I think you will find a much softer smoke here and an overall more relaxing experience.
Another step into English is Cornell & Diehl's "Mississippi Mud." While the title lacks English inspiration and PipesandCigars.com lists it as "Non-Aromatic" this sits proudly on my shelf and smokes similarly.
One thing to note. Many newcomers into English are really turned off by the smell out the can. I have heard the terms “dead ketchup” and “tobacco beef jerky” used. I assure you the smoking experience is quite different.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
I started on aros and went to english and now only smoke aros on rare occasions. I would start out with frog Morton Cellar it is also a great all day smoke, and if you want something a little stronger try DunHill Nightcap then if you go to an online retailer they will have a thing that says people who like this like:...... and give you sugestins as to what els you might want to try. that is how I find different blend similar to the ones I like.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Like most began on aros but also sampled other before finding comfort in the VA family of straight VA and VaPers.
I smoked Nightcap as my first English and that took some getting used to. My favorite all-day English would be Dunhill's MM965. I like EMP as well but it is sort of just an early morning smoke that awakens the palate. Where have I heard that before .... ?

dechuckie

Lurker
Apr 23, 2014
Wow! What a great list of suggestions. Thanks so much, all!
So far, this is what is in my online cart:
Orlik Golden Sliced (figured I'd start with a Virginia)

Sutliff Sunrise (A few of my favorite Aros are Sutliff blends)

Frog Morton Cellar (simply from the overwhelming number of suggestions)

Dunhill Morning Pipe and Nightcap (again, lots of suggestions, and the reviews seem very solid for both)
Looking forward to my shipment!
Now, any advice for drying, packing, charring, smoking, etc. that a pure aro smoker might need?
Thanks again everyone!

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
+1 ravkesef

been smoking Frog Morten for a while & haven't smoked it lately, till I opened a can last night, love it.

OGS probably my fav.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit

1. I don't remember - it was 40 years ago. It *may* have been State Express London, which is not available any more,AFAIK.

2. No. I don't smoke aros.

3. Peterson's Old Dublin

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
1. Rattray's Highland Targe

2. No, unless you count spirit topped blends like Smoker's Haven Cognac or Navy flakes as aromatics.

3. Rattray's Red Rapparee, but that may be a touch too Oriental for you right now.
Among the others recommended (especially Old Dublin) let me add Rattray 7 Reserve and Highland Targe, Dunhill London Mixture, or McClelland British Woods and Bombay Court. These are all good, middle of the road blends.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
The first English style I liked was Old Dublin and yes still enjoy it.
I only occasionally smoke a couple aromatics. They are all Peterson's blends: Sunset Breeze and Nutty Cut.
My all time every day favorite is GL Pease Gaslight.
I remember early in my pipe smoking journey a proprietor of a brick and mortar was very enthusiastic about his English blend. Being a newbie at the time I figured he knew what he was talking about and bought a small amount. I tried to like it but just found the stuff repulsive and horrible. All the regular descriptors; Old shoe leather, burning tires etc. It's funny how tastes change. Now English is my favorite style. Today I can find the subtle differences and flavors in different blends and love it.
For sure try as many different English tobaccos that you can get your hands on. If at first they don't seem your thing just go back to your other favorites and try English again later. If your relationship with Latakia gets started with a bang consider giving the GL Pease blends a try. I think he's one of the best in the business when it comes to the Latakia medium.

Status
Not open for further replies.