PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Howdy fellow lovers of the pipe,
while listening to the amazing interview with Scott Tinker in last week's radio podcast (episode 8), it clicked in my head when Mr. Tinker described his "bastardizations" of blends with Red Cake Virginia. While I immensely enjoy Frog Morton on the Town, I've always found the original Frog Morton tobacco to be too uninspiring for my taste. The idea of adding a sweet (high in sugar) flue cured Virginia sounded like a wonderful twist to be tried. Sadly, I didn't have any 5100 Red Cake at hand, but after some searching I stumbled upon an almost forgotten tin of 2009 McClelland Christmas Cheer (which by itself was always a too one-dimensional of a smoke on its own for me). The Christmas Cheer blend is described on the internets as a deep orange flue cured VA. After a weekend of experimentation, I have found a 'recipe' that I tremendously enjoy, and tongue-in-cheek named "Frog Morton's Christmas" :crazy:
It only takes me 30% Frog Morton (original), 20% MacBaren Navy Flake (for the honeyness), and 50% Christmas Cheer to get into a wonderfully pleasant Holidays mood. As an added benefit, finally both tins, Frog Morton as well as Christmas Cheer will (and at the current rate rather rapidly) be consumed in a worthy fashion.
Off to puff another bowl full of this goodness,
NB

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
Oh wow, this sounds right up my alley as I just tried the original FM for the first time and found it rather bland compared to McC SFB (my preferred Lat bomb) and was thinking what I could use to pique my interest. I'll have to try this soon though my Christmas Cheer is 2012. Thanks!

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I was really hoping for an actual FM christmas blend. Debit card was out and ready to go.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I agree Hawk, I went to all the sponsors and mad I couldnt find it. So then came and actually read the post hoping for a link. Sad day!

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
D'oh! I, too, whipped out the AMEX when I saw the subject! Am always up for a new Frog!
Would like to try hfearly's blend, but I don't have any 3 YO VA blends around. Don't think a fresh VA blend would add the magic that a nice aged one would.... but it sounds like a nice experiment! Guess I'll have to join Hawk and dervis in the line to tell Santa what to bring...

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
At first when I read this, I thought it was another Frog Morton blend. I've never tried any of the Christmas Cheer blends, so I can't say for sure that I'd like it

Status
Not open for further replies.