Frog Morton's Cellar Tobacco Review

(47 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Ahmad Othman
  • Latest reply from derekflint
  1. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, as a tobacco with such reputation, I expected more. And here lies the problem. This is good tobacco, but it lacks a lot of depth and personality.. I tried Frog Morton on the town before this from Frog Morton line, and it delivers well on all aspects. But Cellar doesn't.. From the tin note, the very strong note, you'd expect a very strong, flavourful tobacco. With promising whiskey and latakia flavour and aroma. But when you pack it and smoke, You get a faint rum taste or an after taste to be exact, and a very faint sweet latakia, a trademark of McClelland. And speaking of packing, the cut is all over the place, from small ribbons, to large ones, with a lot of unkempt leaves and a considerable amount of twigs. Which is a bit annoying, but since it requires a considerable amount of drying time, I could pick up the twigs. Once packs and lights it's a nice, light, all day smoke. With medium body and faint flavour. I will enjoy the tin, but won't order another

Pipes Used: Peterson Derry B27, Peterson System Ebony XL315, Peterson Pipe of the year 2014 Ebony

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.” - Albert Einstein
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good analytical review. I like how you distinguish between observations and opinions.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good review, it always amazes me how tastes differ. Of all the Frog's, this is the only one I like and have represented in my cellar (no pun intended). It's a great crossover blend.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good review and I tend to agree, I like On the Town better

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like both the FMC and OTT, but seem to smoke Whiskey Biscuit Gravy from Just For Him more. Everyones tastes are different, sooo..... smoke what you like, and like what you smoke.
    By the way that twig in the FMC is a piece of whiskey barrel stave. Ha, Ha

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. hmhaines

hmhaines

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great review, thank you!

"Following the path of least resistance is what makes the river crooked."
    U. Utah Phillips
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Deathmetal

Good analytical review. I like how you distinguish between observations and opinions.

Thanks, mate.. I try my best to be fair and objective

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good review, it always amazes me how tastes differ. Of all the Frog's, this is the only one I like and have represented in my cellar (no pun intended). It's a great crossover blend.

Yeah..indeed.. different taste..and it's highly praised. So indeed folk see something in it. Just not me

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Pagan

Good review and I tend to agree, I like On the Town better

Thanks, mate

@hmhaines

Great review, thank you!

Thanks

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

By the way that twig in the FMC is a piece of whiskey barrel stave. Ha, Ha

Come on, cuh... Really? :P.. Actually I think that the whiskey barrel stave is a cool touch

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's so strange. Mine never really needs any drying time and I don't really remember any issues with the cut or twigs. I'll have to smoke a bowl tonight.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had an unopened tin on hand for quite a while, given to me by a Forums member. Over time, I've become accustomed to full-strength non-aromatic blends, but lately I've moved back to some milder, and some aromatic blends in my rotation. From this review, I wouldn't expect FM Cellar to be an immediate hit with me, however, what I have also discovered is that when a blend is just too quite for me, it often helps to pick it up with a stronger leaf or two, blending tobaccos or another stronger blend. Often this will bring up surprising taste in the combination. I do need to open my FMC, if only to capture the Lat before it goes flat, which Lat does do, as with a tin of GLP Westminster that went from lively to almost silent (in terms of flavor). Good review! You kept it brief but informative, with good observations/specifics. Hope you do reviews from time to time, as you like.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's so strange. Mine never really needs any drying time and I don't really remember any issues with the cut or twigs. I'll have to smoke a bowl tonight.

Maybe it is just my tin..and maybe your tin was already dried a bit

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had an unopened tin on hand for quite a while, given to me by a Forums member. Over time, I've become accustomed to full-strength non-aromatic blends, but lately I've moved back to some milder, and some aromatic blends in my rotation. From this review, I wouldn't expect FM Cellar to be an immediate hit with me, however, what I have also discovered is that when a blend is just too quite for me, it often helps to pick it up with a stronger leaf or two, blending tobaccos or another stronger blend. Often this will bring up surprising taste in the combination. I do need to open my FMC, if only to capture the Lat before it goes flat, which Lat does do, as with a tin of GLP Westminster that went from lively to almost silent (in terms of flavor). Good review! You kept it brief but informative, with good observations/specifics. Hope you do reviews from time to time, as you like.

Wise and informative as usual, mso..
    And I started a tendency to do reviews nowadays.. I even have my page on tobaccoreviews.com if you want to check it out
    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/31340

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. hakchuma

hakchuma

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love frog Morton cellar. Recently purchased 28 3.5oz cans to keep me busy for the next half decade.

"From tempers be it known that we are warm in the fields of battle and cool in the hours of debate"

- Pushmataha, Choctaw Chief
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, That's love already. I think if I am going for Frog Morton that big, it'd be On The town..

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice review. Though I am not a FMC fan, I think the tin note is great. It seems that no matter how slow I sip it, FMC fries the heck out of my tongue. I really like On the Town, and could smoke it anytime.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Same here...And FMC is decent, but two tips for the burn.. Give it some dry time and don't pack tight.. Just do a gravity packing followed by a light tamp

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried through all the frogs a few years ago, and came out with just the original being the one I repurchased, they are just too similiar to keep more than one on hand in my opinion and the the original kind of sums of the blend style for me.

Isaac

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Except it doesn't have basma like On the town or Syrian Latakia like in across the pond. And not as strong as On the Bayou.. From my trials with FM blends.. The original is kind of the trunk of the tree.. It has the basic stuff, but not the fruit.. Then there's each blend.. I myself enjoy On The town more, as the basma and fragrant latakia are divine.. I don't enjoy cellar much.. And definitely across the pond bring Syrian Latakia to the mix.. And I guess On the bayou is just FM original x2

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

hextor

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love it, especially fresh, I taste the sweetness in it, almost like the marshmallows in a freshly heated smore, also it smells like a campfire, i find it interesting how pipe smokers can taste the tobaccos differently.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cellar is good, but for me, FMOTT is the best...........

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@hextor If we didn't.. then probably There would be 3-4 tobacco blends at most
    @beefeater33 I second this

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

flipflopsandshades

Login to Send PM

I have tried both and I highly prefer On The Town to cellar.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have tried both and I highly prefer On The Town to cellar.

I absolutely agree.. On the town is my favourite from the Frog Morton Series

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

jabo

Login to Send PM

Great review Ahmad. FMC, andFMOTT are two of the best Frogs I've smoked.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great review and discussion in this thread. I settled on OTT, but each branch of the Frog family is worthy.

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 2 years ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

seacaptain1

Login to Send PM

Frog Morton cellar is a whiskey sweet version of the original frog. It's tin aroma to me smells like a flat Cream soda..I don't really like the tin aroma. When smoked It lights up great and smokes cool and it's a treat at the right time. It hits the sweet spot from time to time. It's a nice morning pipe as it is light and sweet. I've smoked all the frogs. The original is my favorite lat blend I've found the last few years hands down. Cellar pairs up well with coffee in the morning. I find it to be the first bowl of the day when I reach for it. The frogs are all way to similar For me to reccomend having all of them. Each has its own little nitch but the original is the strong baseline of all. Cellar ads a dimension that makes it more unique than the others due to the whiskey infused baccy. Get a tin of cellar if your an English or Balkan smoker looking for a mild sweet change of pace. Yes it has an aromatic type sweetness to it but if you need something lighter and sweeter containing the quality Latakia you crave ever so dearly this indeed will satisfy the piper. I can't say if I'd order cellar again but I'll know once I run out! The original on the other hand is a spectacular fragrant blend that is a must try in my book.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought a can of this and was totally disappointed. To me it tasted like huffing a hot buttered rum mug. The alcohol fumes burned the eyes. Yuk, gross tobacco.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  30. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Even as a Latakia-phobe, I have to admit that I enjoyed FMC. It will never be a regular smoke for me, but it's a great crossover blend.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. crazyhog

crazyhog

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the review. I actually didn't like OTT. I have been told the the Cellar is slightly sweeter, which I would prefer. I may give it a try.

"I yam what I yam."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

brassonly

Login to Send PM

Yes its very interesting how flavours are so different for everyone.I Myself have always preferred the Cellar. I

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After my earlier post, I did open the tin of Frog Morton Cellar given to me by a Forums member. It had been unopened for about two years and probably had some aging time before that. My experience with this blend was far better than I expected, though I didn't think it would be negative. It smoked evenly and without many relights right out of the tin, though it was still somewhat moist, and stays moist after opening. I found the rectangular block of whiskey barrel cask a pleasing wrinkle, especially when I found how well integrated the aromatic flavor was with the quality tobacco, which makes for a mild but impressively flavorful smoke. I'm about 3/4 my way through this large tin, and have steadily gone back to FMC, finding it pleasing every time. It's smoked well in every pipe, and especially well in larger broad bowled pipes that give it full range. I know not everyone enjoys FMC, and many don't enjoy it as much as I have, but it is a popular blend, and I would certainly order it after this good experience.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got a tin of FMC on the recommendation of a friend. I like it! Mine is a bit moist, but it will dry...

---
    Ken
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. kodos44

kodos44

Login to Send PM

Have a tin waiting to be opened. Always interesting to hear reviews on tobaccos i've tried/am about to try. I picked this up because I enjoy blends that are light in the latakia and heavy on the 'ginny. Hoping to enjoy this when i get around to it, lol.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

justdafacts

Login to Send PM

I am fairly new to the pipe experience, but in the last several months, I have been trying a number of tobaccos and figuring out what I like and dislike. This one, Frog Morton Cellar was recommended to me by a fellow pipe smoker with much more experience. I immediately enjoyed it. Maybe this is just the novice pipe smoker here, but, when I bought and smoked Frog Morton On the Town, it was almost the exact same taste to me. There were some subtle difference, but so subtle that if it were a blind taste test, I would have had problems separating the two. So therefore, I found both to be winners. The next tobacco that I have found to be similar to my taste to these two was Old Dog. Old Dog was just a little less sweet tasting, but smokes very well in my pipes and has the same hint of taste to me as the FMC and FMOTT.

Justdafacts

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just read the thread again and must comment.

I like cellar. I just finished another bowl. But, then again, I am drinking rum and cream soda too. I like cream soda. Better for you than dark colas.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cracked open a tin couple days ago. Have had about six bowls so far. Very artificial looking and tasting.In a blind taste test I would not even know for sure if it was in fact tobacco at all. Wondering what all the rave reviews on TR are about. A very odd blend for sure.......Was expecting much more .......Would definitely NOT buy this again!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OH...I tried mixing with it with a few other blends...dreadful !! Absolutely Dreadful !!

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

OH...I tried mixing with it with a few other blends...dreadful !! Absolutely Dreadful !!

Do you like aromatics, and do you like latakia? If no to either, it's probably just not up your alley. A lot of guys who don't smoke aros like to deny that FM is one, but it certainly is.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

I smoked a bowl last night and thought it was wonderful. But it does have a little bit of age on it. Maybe a year or so. Good American English as I would define it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I put what I had left of it into a jar ( really didn't want to waste a jar on it ). Wondering would it really age like other tobacco's ? The Virginia's look real but the rest of it looks like plastic or something.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

I put what I had left of it into a jar ( really didn't want to waste a jar on it ). Wondering would it really age like other tobacco's ? The Virginia's look real but the rest of it looks like plastic or something.

Gimme a break. You don't like it, sure. But plastic? Whatever your tastes, it's indisputable that McClelland sources superior tobaccos. The VAs might improve with age, but latakia and aros don't age well, so I'd just accept this blend is not for you and pass it on to someone who might want to try it. Black Cavendish is processed to look black (hence its name) and latakia is pretty much black, so maybe that's why they don't look "real" to you?

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pardon me lazar...didn't mean to offend anyone. I was thinking the other black was stoved Virginia. I didn't even know there was Black Cavendish in it.The plastic comment was just a little sarcasm I thru in .........Thanks for breaking down and clarifying it for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

Pardon me lazar...didn't mean to offend anyone. I was thinking the other black was stoved Virginia. I didn't even know there was Black Cavendish in it.The plastic comment was just a little sarcasm I thru in .........Thanks for breaking down and clarifying it for me.

No worries - not offended at all. You're probably right about the stoved VA. BC is not listed in the ingredients on TR, but it's definitely in there.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. leatherman

leatherman

Login to Send PM

I haven't tried Cellar, but I have tried On The Town and Across The Pond. The last bowl I smoked of then tin if OTT I tried is what sold me on pipe smoking. I could taste plum as if I was literally eating a plum. It was so delicious and is what I strive for when pipe smoking. The hidden flavours when the pack, humidity and pipe is just right.

I had high hopes for Across The Pond, because I've heard such good things about Syrian Latakia, but I liked OTT more.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Think I'm going to try FMC in a big pot and see if I like any better.......

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tobefrank, npod, jguss, hoosierpipeguy, ashdigger, ssjones, laa2, pappymac, gatorlope, captainsousie, jpmcwjr, fishnbanjo, transpose, dochudson, spartacus