PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Hi all - I picked up some FMC recently after seeing all the praise for the blend. I really enjoy the flavor and aroma. Oddly though, I notice I get an almost numbing effect on my tongue and mouth while smoking it, and the after effect is that I have noticed an acidic feel in my mouth and even a small blister here and there. I can avoid this if I carefully brush teeth, mouth and gums immediately after smoking. Has anyone else experienced this? I've not had this with any other blend.
Thanks,

Bill

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
+1 for what Roth said. Also I know it is a good smoke and I can't get enough... so I would recommend slowing down the smoke, it might be buring too hot, especially if you are getting numbness and blisters. Sometimes with blends that are more moist (FMC and even more so Molto Dolce) the moisture can cause the steam to burn your tongue. Let it dry out a bit before smoking it too.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Thanks for the help. I'm going to try a smaller bowl, slow it up a shade more and experiment with the different beverages. I did dry the FMC for about 18 hrs last smoke and had the same results. It is odd. I've been bitten and burned before, and this feels different. It's almost like getting a smidge of ambesol in my mouth.
I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Bill

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Oh, and Sutliff's web site says Molto Dolce is my ideal blend, so thanks for the heads up! I intend to get some soon.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I had the same thing, I firgured out it was from a wet smoke. I espically noticed it when I smoked it right from the tin. I dried it a little and it lessened the effects but I was still getting a wet smoke so I dired it more and it is alot better.
Also +1 for what roth said. There's certain blends I can't smoke b/c of bite either. The fun in the hobby is trying out all the different blends. I've tried close to 20 since January and I've only disliked half dozen or so.
Happy smoking and welcome to the forums!

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I have never had that problem with FMC. I do let it dry for about 30 - 40min before lighting. This has always worked for me. I did have a Hiland's blend that bit me pretty good one time. That is when I started paying attention to the drying process. Good advice from everyone here. Hope you can overcome this, especially with the FMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.