PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Since McLelland is no more, and Frog Morton's Cellar was my favourite tobacco (maybe aside from a bulk blend I once had that I have no clue what it was called unfortunately) and unfortunately I only have one tin left which I've opened.

Does anyone have any comparable suggestions to Cellar?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't want this to sound mean, but it may be time to find a new favorite. Over the decades I have seen favorites come and go, and have since learned to cellar hard when I find one I like. I can think of a couple of similar blends to FMC, but they were produced by McClelland for theirs and other companies products.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
No that's not mean, I get what you're saying but I've probably averaged 1-2 tins a year at the rate I smoke, so I'm not into a bunch of trial and error, because if I try a blend I don't like them I'm stuck with it for up to a year.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Blends like Black Frigate, Sextant, and Bothy Flake may scratch the itch for a liquor infused Latakia blend though, but the real magic came from McClelland's Virginias.

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
A few threads since no more McClelland....At this time...Nothing will replace FMC as to the

Profile of the blend. I even tried from The Country Squire "Shepherd's Pie"...Very faint taste.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
You aren't going to find anything exactly like it.
You might want to try Boswell's Northwoods. There is no whisky note, but you can always give it a little topping of whisky yourself before jarring it up.

I WOULD also suggest Smoker's Haven Our Best Blend or Exotique, but they are hard to get. Same with Esoterica Margate.
I enjoyed the Frogs and 5110, and Margate and Northwoods are my next favorites after that. As far as availability, Northwoods is probably your best bet.

You have to get it from Boswell's website. http://boswellpipes.com/tobacco/boswell-blends/

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Some good suggestions here, I'm trying to narrow down on one to try first.

I emailed Smokingpipes and they responded with two suggestions,

https://nam05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.smokingpipes.com%2Fpipe-tobacco%2Fcornell-diehl%2FStrathspey-2oz%2Fproduct_id%2F1348&data=02%7C01%7C%7C4628e0cc09bb4d63c64108d5d78295d2%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636651878207630131&sdata=GbDwXq4JyNeNQQBj%2BwJnxh6mSB5nUueGQ8OUDE4zM6M%3D&reserved=0
and
https://nam05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.smokingpipes.com%2Fpipe-tobacco%2Fcornell-diehl%2FVieux-Carr%25C3%25A9-2oz%2Fproduct_id%2F212621&data=02%7C01%7C%7C4628e0cc09bb4d63c64108d5d78295d2%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636651878207630131&sdata=YMErYilGfUTAGce1gBFeihaFNNQQqfihDM2398w%2FQtw%3D&reserved=0
Both C&D blends, has anyone tried these?

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
At 1 or 2 tins a year you can still find some on the secondary market and it won't break the bank.

Reactions: Peter - CCB

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You can post the image of the tin rather than a three line link.
003-016-0014.jpg

Reactions: LJJ

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You can post the image of the tin rather than a three line link.
The links make getting to the product easier, or you can get really snazzy and make the images clickable links. :wink:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The links make getting to the product easier, or you can get really snazzy and make the images clickable links.
True dat. Some want to know what's being referenced, not click on more links. Your solution is even better as it satisfies both criteria. I dislike naked URLs when it's so easy to embed them with the URL tag, which can be used to ID what's being linked.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I know. It does clutter, but it did take me forever to figure out image posting on here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, back to Frog Cellar, I agree looking for match is likely not productive. I support sampling around among different blends and genres to find other things you like instead of a Frog Cellar experience per se. However, among your sampling, you could include some high end, well crafted Virginia leaf whiskey aromatics that might have some of the Frog Cellar attributes without looking for a twin. C&D's many burley inclusive blends are terrific, and so many to choose from. For a mild refined but flavorful English, Nat Sherman 536 is noteworthy. You know what you like. Go to the tobacco pages of PC, SPC, Iwan Ries, etc., and peruse the offerings for fun. Blends will begin to occur to you, and only you can choose. This is a good time of year to pick out a tin of Va/Per to try along the way, like maybe Russ' Fire Storm, with a little dark-fired to enhance the experience.

mnewb1

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2018
I don’t have a refined enough palate yet to suggest alternatives, but I will second Boswells Northwoods on its own merits...I have found it a tasty smoke in the evening.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
The closest thing that comes close to FMC in MY opinion is Bengal Slices, even though it does not have a boozy topping. For the life of me i cant seem to understand why people recommend Northwoods. Northwoods to me is a straight up heavy Lat bomb, if anything i would say its more comparable to Plum Pudding then FMC. I get zero of the Vanilla topping or whatever it is.
Bothy Flake is another one, that to me, has nothing in common with FMC. That flake is a sweet Virginia with a tad of Latakia in it. In order to get any hint of the Scotch topping you would have to meditate, and think of Scotch. I have that issue with most of the cased Sammy G Flakes even there Navy Flake. I taste them all identical.
Again this is all from my pallet perspective, every one is different.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
FMC was my favourite too, and apparently one of the best selling blends of 2017. You can pick any medium strength English blend and get 80% similarity with FMC. Of the stuff I tasted so far, Mississippi River Special Reserve tastes the closest to FMC.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
The issue with FMC, people that are looking for a replacement for it, wants that casing,topping,infusion, what ever it is. Any non flavored English will not be an alternative for that reason. That is the reason why i recommend Bengal Slices, it has some noticeable additional sweet FMC ish topping in it.
If the regular Frog Morton was the question, then sure, blends such as Margate or whatever can be recommended. I also disagree when people say its the "McClelland Virginia" that makes FMC unique. I believe you can soak,infuse,case Burley and Latakia with out the Virginia even in the blend, with the same bourbon topping, and would not make much of a difference to the average FMC smoker. They want that casing, or infusion process that, they uniquely invented.

Status
Not open for further replies.