PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have tried as much as I could to stay away from this, but after dozens of bowls I really thought that I needed to take responsibility and speak out my mind on this blend. In the event of McCleland's demise, and the fact that it emotionally affected so many people I may raise some controversy with this review. It kind of reminds me of a wine review I have done a while back (yes, I am also what we call around here a certified somellier). Speaking in a plastic fashion about the nose of the Sauvignon Blanc as resembling "cat's shoe shoe", a gentlemen started scolding me for ruining his passion for the grape with an improper image. Well proper or not ... the young Sauvignon Blanc whine does smell like cat piss, as it is the astringent characteristic of the grape. That being said I will try to avoid the same mistake for the Frog Morton the Original lovers :puffy:
In a sense this is a unique blend as it resembles NOTHING from all sensory points to what we are used to in Europe. Opening the tin, well ... it's black, and that's to be expected because the abstract reads Virginia and Latakia. Mostly black tobacco, and as you pick it up and examine it on a closer look one can see the Virginia as well in the shape of a dark brown ribbon - unlike the latakia which is I guess chunky more than ribbony. The nose is sweeter than smokier, which is quite funny, because with all the black latakia in the content of the blend one would not expect sweetness - so that raises the question of some sort of casing being the culprit. I have laid the tobacco on my tray, and first off I notice how moist it is, taking it a fairly longer time to dry than what I am accustomed to. Loaded and lit: the first impression is dark chocolate, and that's the last impression of it as well - the smoke being subject to little evolution from start to finish. Again, I have a sense of uniqueness as this is not an aromatic in any way, but it leaves a sweet and bitter bouquet in my mouth, that the closest term of comparison I can think of is dark chocolate. And this is positive, as I simply LOVE dark chocolate. Another point to be taken into account is that it can bite your head off. I also have found that this blend more particularly than others, behaves differently in different pipe shapes. Ultimately I can only enjoy this in a GBD Bulldog, which makes it a perfect experience. On a lazy afternoon I am inclined on a churchwarden for this tobacco, with the caveat that is still bites no matter how slow or how dry I smoke it.
Overall, my taste buds tell me that there is something more to the story of Frog Morton that just plain old virginia and latakia ... The taste is very agreeable under the right circumstances, but not an every day blend for me. As a latakia fiend I simply cannot embrace the idea that latakia can be, perhaps mellow, but certainly not sweet. It's one American blend 100%, and judging from the specific ketchupy/vinegary taste and smell of the McCleland virginias, I am inclined to suspect that there is a similar altering ingredient in this one as well, and not just your plain tobacco mix. I will take my time in finishing my 3.5 ounces, and at this rate I think it will take me until Christmas. It's not a turn off blend, but a blend type within itself that I am not used to, given the type of product available in my neck of the woods. I would certainly hunt down Frog MOrton's Cellar in order to get the fuller picture of what this very appreciated tobacco company used to be...

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I pop'ed a can for the first time last week to find out what all the hubbub was about. Very enjoyable but I was surprised at how light it was in a small bowl. Looking forward to getting to know the Frog better.

mnewb1

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2018
I am very new to this, so definitely no experienced palate, I recently obtained some FMC and am really enjoying it, but it is much more subtle then I expected.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
It's definitely topped, with some kind of sweet/vanilla flavors. It's considered a "crossover" latakia-aro blend. It contains no Burley so can't really be slotted in with the typical American aromatics, or even crossovers like HGL or Distinguished Gentleman. Frog Cellar is even more of an aro, with Bourbon-vanilla flavoring. Frog on the Town has Orientals added, Bayou has Perique, and Across the Pond has Syrian Latakia - but all have similar topping as the Original.
There are some European precedents for this kind of blend, though. SG Perfection, Sillem's Black, Solani Black & White, and a couple from Vauen and Dan.

bannyc9

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2018
Only have a tin of this blend left and I think I might have to wait some years before popping it open. Luckily I am well stocked on FM Cellar and can enjoy that more often. Nice review!

Status
Not open for further replies.