Frog Morton On The Bayou and McClelland's In General...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Hi All!
I just finished a tin of FMOTB, and I have to say I wasn't impressed. I tried really hard to like it, obviously, since I finished the whole damn tin. Ill start by telling you what I usually like. Right now, and keep in mind, I'm new, I go back and forth between Orlik Golden Slice and Newminster No. 17 English Luxus, with CAO Moontrance as my "dessert" smoke. I was looking for something new and the guy who got my started on a pipe recommends FMOTB. Cracking the tin, The whole room is awash in a BBQ sauce like aroma, and I have high hopes. I pack it into the large bowl of my Randy Wiley Freehand (which looks a lot like a dublin) and give a test draw. I don't usually like the flavor of a test draw, but this I really don't like. It did light REALLY well, The charring light took me all the way to the bottom, which I really like. It smells nice, but the flavor doesn't deliver. Don't get me wrong, I can distinctly pick out the peppery notes my friend told me to look for, but that's where the flavor stopped. I like the pepper notes, actually, but there just isn't anything backing it up, in my opinion. Another negative is that as it move downs the bowl it really just starts to taste like a cigarette. It did burn to a really cool grey ash, but it's not enough to keep it in the rotation. First and last tin is now in the trash.
I really liked Grey Haven, but Christmas Cheer 2013 (I actually gave that tin away after 2 bowls!) and FMOTB are making it hard for me to continue searching in the McClelland brand. I'm sure I'll try a few more but maybe a break is in order. Maybe you guys have a favorite in the brand I could try that redeems them...?
As I mentioned: I really enjoyed the peppery notes I picked out, so if any of you fine gentleman and ladies can tell me another blend to try with a more variety of flavors in addition to perique I'd appreciate it!
-Lou

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you didn't like the Christmas cheer Black woods flake is a completely different style of Va, but I would say McC's just might not be for you, as Christmas Cheer is the ultimate virginia to me, the vinegar smell you either love or hate. I'm not too keen on McC's english blends, newminister is far superior imo and half the price to boot. I'd try some dunhill 965 if you like english luxus, I'm a fan of English Luxus too, 965 has a bit more of a bbq flavour to it than the luxus. My first bowl of a pipe was McC's full dark english which is supposed to be pretty much almost frog morton in bulk, and I loved it 3 years ago, but now I've got half a pound I ordered and 3 years later it seems my tastes have changed as I find it lacking in flavor as well.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
I really liked Grey Haven, but Christmas Cheer 2013 (I actually gave that tin away after 2 bowls!) and FMOTB are making it hard for me to continue searching in the McClelland brand.
Well stop searching then... :lol:
There are so many other brands to explore out there, I would say give the McClelland blends a rest and come back to it later.
I personally have the exact opposite feeling of you, I can't think of a McMlelland that I have tried that I didn't like and FMOTB is probably my favorite blend currently. Matter of fact it is my daily smoke up there with Sammy G's FVF.
If you liked the Perique, then head on over to Rattray camp and pick up some Hal O' Wynd...mmmmm nummy :puffpipe:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
McClelland is one of my top three blending houses, I yet to try anything from them that I didn't at least like. Most of the McC's I've had now have a place among my favorites.

In case you're wondering, the other two of my top three blending houses are Mac Baren and Hearth & Home.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I have to agree with some above posts, McClellands isnt for you. Simple.
I started my flake journey with OGS, and Dunhill Flake, as well as Peter Stokebyes LNF.

This year I tried CC for the first time, and I now have over 10 tins of various years in my cellar, as well as blackwoods flake, and soon some Virginia and Perique flake.
My point being, if you didnt immediately have this kind of reaction, there is another company with a blend out there that suits your palette.
Good luck on your journey, you'll know it when you find it.
Warren

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
As I'm sure you know, the "pepper" is coming from the perique. So if that particular element appealed to you, you might really enjoy seeking out some perique blends from other blenders.
I smoke quite widely -- so I'm not wedded to one or two blenders -- but for my money McClelland is producing some of the finest Virginia-based blends around. Some folks love to harp on what they perceive as a "ketchup" smell -- which is actually just the aroma of some very fine matured Virginias -- as if it were some kind of defect. To me, that aroma is the promise of wonderful things to come.
But that doesn't mean you have to like them! :) Goodness knows, there are popular blenders whose products I just don't enjoy.
Pick up a tin of Escudo, a Virginia/perique spun-cut blend that is highly praised. Or try Rattray's Dark Fragrant, which blends a loose-cut black VA with a small dose of perique. Or check out GLPease's Haddo's Delight. All of these blends will be using different kinds of Virginias than you'll find in the McClelland blends -- and processing them differently -- so you can see how they compare.
Bob

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You can name any blender and you will find blends you don't like. I love the Frog Morton series. If you found FMOTB not to your liking try the Frog Morton Cellar or Stave-35. Cellar is a light English with a bourbon note to it. The Stave-35 is a ribbon cut Virginia with a bourbon note to it.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
If you like the peppery (rather than plummy) side of Perique, for McClelland blends I would recommend Beacon Extra, St James Woods, and Blakeney's Best Bayou Slices. They all, however, share that signature McClelland Virginia tang. If that's not your thing, just move on. Plenty of other great blenders out there. For peppery Perique and - IMO - tastier Virginias, you simply cannot beat Escudo: it's the gold standard.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Thats too bad you didnt enjoy it! I must say, all the frog mortons are some of my favorites.. And christmas cheer is an absolute favorite of mine.. Good luck with your tobacco hunt! Oh, and dont throw those tins away.. I convert them in to fine soy candles..!! If you need a place to send some empty tins, just PM me.. Thanks,,, smeigs

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
Personally I really like most of the McClelland blends I've tried, and FMOTB is actually one of my favorites (Christmas Cheer is another one so obviously our tastes are quite different). Personally I think that McClelland's tobaccos greatly benefit from aging, at least anything with a lot of Virginias in it. It's too bad you got rid of the Christmas Cheer. That tobacco is phenomenal with a few years on it. I have a tin from 2007 that is one of the best straight VAs I've found.
Everyone has their preferences though, and you wouldn't be the only person who wasn't a McClelland fan. The good thing is there are so many different blending houses, you will still be spoiled for choice even if you write off McClelland completely. I second the suggestion of rmbittner...pick up some Escudo and see if that is more your style. That is one fantastic VA/Per.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
+1 on the Escudo recommendations. Hands down one of my favorite Va/Pers out there.
In lieu of trudging through a tin and making it like work instead of relaxation, many have recommended that you sit it aside for a while. If you are really not a fan, go ahead and jar it up, (I prefer Ball jars) label it with the date, and stick it in the back of your cellar. When six months passes open it up and give it a whirl. You may have different tastes or smoking techniques that make that old, boring tobacco really sing, or you purchased another pipe that just marries with that tobacco. I am not saying this will always lead to wonderful revelations, but it is just a different approach. I can't tell you how many tins I opened and just thought the first two to three bowls were awful. Since I was new I had a good idea that it was me and not the baccy. One year later I am loving some of those tobaccos, while others I still can't stand, but I knew I gave them a chance.
Just my .02.
Cheers, :puffy:
Dan

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
The letting it sit for a while isn't a bad idea! Im glad you guys said something. Someone gave me a tin of McClellands 35th and it isn't opened yet. I may just let it chill til a rainy day... Thanks fellows!!!

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Great review. I like how you stated how the tobacco started to taste like a cigarette as you moved through the bowl. I have experienced that in other tobaccos and was wondering if it was a problem only I have.
One thing that bothers me about perique. It's scent. For what it's worth, I am a member of the Choctaw Nation, I speak the Choctaw language and I hold perique in high regard considering it's Choctaw origins. However, I do not particularly like the aroma of perique before it is burned. The aroma that most people associate with perique that has been tinned is the vinegar or ketchup scent.
I have a different word for it. it's literally smells like rotting vegetation. I say this because I spent my youth growing up on a farm in a colder climate. What we would do is hay a field, some would go into round or square bails and a large majority would be stored outside in a large cement bunker. We would fill the cement bunker with chopped hay and use the weight of a tractor for hours and drive up and down the slight slope on top of the hay to pack it down tight to keep it over the cold winter. The effect as it would begin to rot slightly and would have a very sour smell. To me a new tin of tobacco containing perique smells a heck of a lot like rotting hay.
Anyway, thanks for the review and thanks to all the contributed offerings of alternative perique suggestions as many of us are lurking and taking every bit of advice/knowledge. Plus, it's fun just to read this forum while smoking a big old bowl of H&H :)

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I really enjoy FMOTB, FMOTT and FMC and think they're all great tobaccos; however, if you didn't like it don't completely give up on it. If you're still new then you're still developing your pallet. With time your tastes may change, so after a period of time you may want to try some tobacco's that you didn't care for in the beginning. You may be surprised now what you didn't like in the beginning you may really enjoy later on.

verse

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
With a majority of the Frog Morton family, I find them very moist and like to dry them out quite a bit. Then I give it a good rub out...produces a more satisfying experience with this blender.
Hope you make peace with your pipe...and what's in it.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
However, I do not particularly like the aroma of perique before it is burned. The aroma that most people associate with perique that has been tinned is the vinegar or ketchup scent.
I believe the vinegar scent comes from vinegar which is used as a natural preservative according the the macbaren blending house. I find perique has a furity kind of plum/ raisin smell

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Maybe you started out with the wrong Frog Morton as not everyone likes Perique. The original and Cellar are a can't miss in my book.
Personally, I'm really digging the German blenders like Sillem's and Dan.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I find the FM series to be subtle. They aren't a "punch you in the face" smoke. I enjoy FMC in the fall on walks when I want to enjoy smoking but don't want to concentrate on technique.
And yes, could be as simple as McC not being for you. I have a blender like that- C&D. I know they are highly respected and I've tried so hard to like their stuff but....never seems to work for me.
Also, McC does great work with Virginia tobaccos, but they are picky, and I think Virginias in general are quite subtle. Smoke it too hot or too fast- its gone- just ashy nastiness. Pack it wrong- some thing. Smoke them too wet- problematic.
I've never had to smoker slower and more intentional than with McC Virginias. I love them- but sometimes I think I'm not patient enough.
Anyway, I return to my initial comment- FM baccys are an understated flavor. Perhaps they are not your cup of tea. Go get some Nightcap or something and pack it into a huge bowl and get blown over :)

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
I've never tasted Perique in FM original. You can taste a hint of Latakia though.
One of my top smokes along with Cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.