PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Finally picked up a tin of Frog Morton and I have to say I'm not sure why but the taste to me is very bad. The taste comes across as very acidic. Not fruity acidic but like burning treated wood chemical taste. Loaded it in a fresh cob, was a little moist but not wet, burned nice but the taste! Ugh! Now I must say this is my first step into English tobaccos and Latakia. Do I need to dry it out more or is that just the Latakia?

dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2012
My son said the same thing first time he smoked a blend with Latakia,,,and now he is hooked!,,

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Frog Morton is a bit sticky right out of a fresh tin. Drying it out a little will definitely help. As mentioned though, latakia is a bit of an acquired taste for a lot of people. Give it a few bowls and see if it grows on you. If you still find it unpleasant, might just not be your preference.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Personally, I don't care for the Frogs - didn't like the top note. I did smoke full tins of two of them - original and ACTP. Follow Roth's advice, and see if that helps. It may be they just aren't your cuppa.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
I had the same reaction to regular frog. It took me a bit to get to tolerate it but I never got to like it. I like English Blends mind you and smoke many Latakia forward blends. Frog on the town, and Frog on the Bayou is IMO much better than the original blend.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'll definately give it more time and a few more bowls before I give it up. I'll try drying it some and maybe try a different pipe and see if that changes things. I will also change from drinking coffee with it to sipping some port. I find my choice of beverage can change the experience as well.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Reading the posts and thinking about your experience, each of the beverages you mentioned are, of course, acidic by their nature. Maybe you might try just spring water to accompany your smoke to eliminate the added acid factor?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Just tried some Frog Morton myself, and having seen it described as a "light" or "crossover" English blend, I was somewhat surprised at how robust it actually seemed to be. Comparable to either H&H Daybreak, maybe a little lighter than H&H House of Lords. I like it!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Phillip, good read and I found my experience very similar. I have to say that I didn't notice any Perique in my smoke. I also have enjoyed McClelland Beacon Extra that contains a lot of Perique and greatly enjoyed it. I didn't notice any of the spicy katsup taste in the Frog Morton but I'm not giving up.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I just started smoking FM (regular) and I too am an aro smoker. At first I couldn't decide if I liked it but I kinda forced myself to keep trying. I'm about half way through the tin and its growing on me. I'm enjoying it. I'm gonna finish this tin and then start in on FM Across The Pond.

Basically what I'm saying is to keep at it. :puffy:

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
From your concerns, I don't think it's anything but the Latakia as the Black Cav probably isn't the problem. There is no question that Latakia is an acquired taste. I've also found the weather effects the taste. I find myself enjoying it more when the weather gets cold. In the summer, latakia blends seem more bitter to me.
If you don't like it, then jar it up. In a few months, your tastes may change but no sense in smoking something you don't like.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I'm actually not a fan of Frogs, I get a slight metallic plum taste from it. I think it's the topping. It makes my mouth feel "sharp" like some aros do for me.
I think it's more of a chemistry thing on my end.

Status
Not open for further replies.