PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
C&D Yale Mixture and Samuel Gawith Winter Time flake are similar. WT Flake was a limited run however. Others will chime in but both of these were light in strength.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I have not tried this yet, but I would recommend mixing one part Lane BCA to three parts of your favorite English blend and see what happens.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Frog Morton Cellar is the only Frog I know, and with its barrel stave block in the tin, it reminds me of some of the best whiskey aromatics, but there's nothing quite like it even so.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
The Froggies will be dearly missed by many, however, as much as I enjoy smoking some of them, there are many other tasty blends out there. The Frog Morton line covers the English/Oriental/Balkan genres. My favorite among them is FMOTB; perfect for those moments when I want to indulge in a very friendly English/Balkan style blend with some Lat flavour. However, I find Dunhill London Mixture and Presbyterian Mixture to be superior with far more authentic taste. Many enjoy Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. Recently, I've been enjoying C&D Bijou for my Oriental fix. Although none of the blends I've mentioned here match a Frog Morton blend, they are similar in that they lean to the milder end of the spectrum, as do the Froggies, each with its unique smoky taste and individual charm.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Did Frog Morton have A vanilla sweet topping on it?
I would pick up GLP Charing Cross, or Dunhill MM 965.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I remember someone on here mentioning a close match to a Country Squire house blend, but can’t find the thread. Maybe they will chime in.
Others have mentioned Rattrays Bagpiper as being close, if you can find it.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Others have mentioned Rattrays Bagpiper as being close, if you can find it.
I've seen that, too, and it's a mystery. Bagpiper has no Latakia, and has a weird supposedly cognac topping. Nothing like any of the FMs, in my opinion. Sutliff has various aro-Latakia crossovers that would be a better match.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I enjoyed them all, but the Frog Morton (Plain, Ort Original, or whatever one calls it,) was my favorite. There’s no true substitute and won’t be until another blender manages to replicate it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hesitate to say this, because it's "wrong." Frog Morton Cellar is a premium artisan blended product not to be compared to anything more ordinary. But to be honest, if I had a "Mac-Attack" type yearning for it, now that my fine three-ounce tin is gone, I'd probably grab some Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, for that tobacco forward lightly flavored, cleverly harmonious joining of flavors. SWRA is no Frog Morton Cellar, but in a pinch, it fills the gap.

fuel52

Lurker
Mar 14, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I remember someone on here mentioning a close match to a Country Squire house blend, but can’t find the thread. Maybe they will chime in.
The Country Squire blend is called 'Shepherd's Pie'. It's the closest blend to FM that I've found. First blend to scratch that FM itch since I've been looking for a replacement.
https://www.thecountrysquireonline.com/product/shepherds-pie-full-english-oriental/

mnewb1

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2018
Looking at YouTube videos, I have heard recommendations for Boswell Countryside and Moonshine XXX. I have tried both and find I like them, but I have not had a chance to try FMC yet. I did go on eBay and bought three tins of “sealed” FMC. When they arrive next week, I am looking forward to trying it and comparing.

Status
Not open for further replies.