PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bludgeoningdeath

Might Stick Around
Feb 28, 2013
Timberville Virginia
So after I finished a tin Frog Morton's original I smoked a bit of Penzance the past week. Wanting to save some of the Penzance since it's hard to find around here I opened up my first tin of FM's "Across The Pond this morning. The smell of the fresh tobacco out of this tin is definitely different than the original. At first it actually turned me off a bit compared to the smell of a fresh opened tin of the original FM. The taste in the pipe though is quite pleasant. I really enjoyed the taste of the Syrian latakia in this blend. Looking forward to the rest of this tin as well as breaking in my churchwarden with it. :P

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
You and I are on the same page (only you are ahead of me). I too am working on my first tin of FM original. My friend bought me a tin of Across The Pond. As soon as Im done I'll open the Across the Pond. I want to be able to enjoy English blends first. Im getting there.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I have a tin of ATP but I have yet to crack it open. I have had FM original (absolutely love it, even though it wouldn't dry out worth a damn for me), and FM Cellar (phenomenal). Not looking forward to On The Bayou, in fact I'll probably give it away. I have come to the realization that I hate Perique.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
You must have read my mind. I logged on today to post about FM Accross the Pond. I had my first bowl today, and I don't know what was wrong with me but after the first couple minutes I couldn't taste anything. The smell was nice, except for every once in a while I got a wif of something unpleasant. I'm chalking it up to being dehydrated so I am going to hydrate tonight and give it another go tomorrow. It burned nicely. Did you also notice a very light flavor or was it just my circumstances?

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I received a tin of Across the Pond from 4Noggins yesterday. I am finishing FM OTT at present and it is great. I am looking forward to try this blend

bludgeoningdeath

Might Stick Around
Feb 28, 2013
Timberville Virginia
From what I've heard from the local shops and from others is that FM ATP has Syrian latakia and that it is lighter and more smooth compared to the original FM that contains Cyprian latakia. I also noticed almost a more sweet taste in this as well. Had my 2nd bowl on the way to work with some coffee today. I'm loving the stuff.

ATP is the only latakia blend that I have actually enjoyed. It was sweet on my tongue without the acidic reaction most lats give me. Although, if I get carried away and puff harder, it turns sour, a back of the tongue sour, like I want to lick the floor to get rid of the taste. So, I am reluctant to stockpile any of it. I may pack a bowl occasionally for that "something different" puff. It reminds me of that minute twinge of lat that I get from Presbyterian Mix, and I actually enjoy the Presb Mix rather frequently.
I will keep coming back to the other FM's checking to see if I like it yet. Maybe the tobacco fairy will gift me with a love of the latakia, so that I can burn one with the other English smokers. One day...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I have been enjoing a small tub of FMOTT. I enjoy it most of the time because it is so different. However, sometimes the latakia is not strong enough and the Basma then tastes like incense / soapy. Anyone else get that at all?

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Cob guy - the FMOTT is a good blend that I enjoy. But it is an early day smoke. Not strong enough to smoked in the evening. I have never tasted the incense you experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.