PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I bought a sampler pack of all four of the FM varieties and after trying FM, FMOTT and FMOTB I can honestly say I don't really like none of them. They taste ..."musky" to me and hard to keep lit. Maybe I should have let them sit out an hour or more as they all seemed a little moist. If you pinched a little together with your fingers the pinch stuck together. Is it my taste or have others come to this conclusion? I haven't tried Across the Pond yet.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I didn't dry them as I was anxious to try them out right out of the can. Tomorrow I'll let a couple dry out about an hour and see what transpires.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Let it dry and give it another go. McCelland stuff is usually too wet for me but give it an hour and I'm puffin away happily :puffy:

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
My favorite, Autumn Evening, is about the same way and I let it sit for awhile and it does good. I'll try again. It just had a weird taste and I had to relight three times.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Colcolt: Let it dry out a little bit, experiment with looser packs, if you have different pipes try those, etc..
If you still don't like them after that, you'll be in decent company :rofl: lil' ole me doesn't like those froggies either.
I experimented with about half a tin of several of them in the series before finally calling it quits. There's enough other stuff out there to try, so don't feel bad or disappointed. As you smoke more, you'll get a better handle on what you like and the "not-so-much" category
good luck :puffpipe:
PS: I also like Autumn Evening. We may end up having similar preferences. Try some Escudo, MV-1000, FVF, Dorchester, Dunbar, that line of tobacco's. They're more in the Virginia and Virginia / Perique line of baccy's.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I've got some Louisiana Red, Escudo and MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian coming this week sometime. I'll still give FM another try later tomorrow.
Colcolt your right fmott is horrid, send it to TX and I'll dispose of it for you sir
I'll keep that in mind. :)

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Now, guys, there's enough for all. Who knows, maybe overnight this baccy may get born again. :mrgreen:

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
To me the frog Morton baccy's are good, but definitely not great. Pretty smooth yet uneventful smoke. You really do need to dry it a while before smoking.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Rufus and Bobby Lee would probably throw me out if I smoked it around them at work. My dog even went back inside the house and the guy out back to me the smoke was withering his tomato plants. Maybe this is telling me something.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
The Froggy's definitly benifit from a bit of drying time for sure. I didn't care for them when I first tried them, but found myself liking them more as time went on. Little bits at a time and reserve judgement for a couple weeks.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I recently purchased a 4 pack of the Frogs (one of each) and do like them quite a bit. For me, they are a nice mild version of some of my stronger flavored English/Balkan blends. That is the great thing about pipe smoking - everybody has different tastes and its an adventure finding the tobaccos that you really like. Worse comes to worst, you can always trade them off to someone for something you like better. Good luck and have fun!

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I like the FROGS but as other have said you have to dry them...I dry mine right in the bowl...load pipe and then just walk away for 30 minutes.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I don't like the Frogs. I've smoked two, didn't care for them, and didn't bother to try the others. They may just not be your cuppa. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.