PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

While mooching around fleabay, killing a bit of time, before putting the chickens to bed for the evening, I came across a listing that caught my eye. It had terrible pictures (2 of 'em) and a description that was not much of a description.
The tarnished metal band, and the shape of the yellow stem tweaked my interest; also, for a change, no obvious rim char really appealed to me. I put on a bid or two, stifled my imagination, strangled my hopes for this pipe, and walked away, forgetting about it.
Then, the other day I got an email telling me I'd won this: Cased Pipe.
I paid the bill, literally the price of a Condor Plug, and set to waiting - again, bludgeoning my hopes and trampling my imagination into submission.
This morning, on the way to work, I stopped off at the post box and picked up a nice small parcel. back in the car, boot to the floor, bends in the road straightened, birds terrified, rabbits left wide-eyed in wonder at the screaming steak of metal, the tail end of which they only caught a glimpse of out of the corner of their eye. I screeched into the carpark, flung myself out of the car and into the office.
By 7:01 am I was grinning like a mentaller, as the sparks of history leapt from the briar to my fingertips, turning into flickering life like images from a magic-lantern in my minds eye........horses, carriages, horseless carriages, trams, black and white films of people walking unnaturally fast, with rapid gestures and strange, but instantly recognisable, clothing....and on, and on, through time to the point where i am sitting at my desk holding this:
image9-e1437578369538.jpg

image26-e1437578328729.jpg

image28-e1437578243803.jpg

Made in Vienna, apparently.
image1-e1437578392608.jpg

The pipe is hallmarked for Glasgow, 1904, Montague Friedlander. The silver has the MF stamp, and the shank is also stamped MF.
The bowl is immaculate, with some lovely grain visible. There is writing, in ink pen, presumably from the man who made it, on the inside of the walls.
image27-e1437578288187.jpg

It even has a, a beautiful, pristine, bone tenon.
image29-e1437578210266.jpg

It will remain this way.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Klause, that's an amazing find. And the price! Congrats -- glad it went to someone who appreciates it.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
That's a beauty Klause. I feel the same way when I find an American brand in that condition.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Klause, definitely a gamble with the sellers pictures, so glad it came through for you.

May 31, 2012
Another stunner!
Truly,

that pipe is absolutely gorgeous.
I don't blame you for not wanting to smoke it,

I can't bring myself to smoke an old SuperSports,

even though I really really want to

LOL

and it's just a "cheap pipe" compared to your elegant MF!

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/super-sports-nosewarmer-is-it-a-comoys-2nd
Quick look uncovered an old billhead...
CNsMSLx.jpg

...tried to find more info,

no luck.

Couldn't even find any decent old b&w photos of Royal Exchange Square.
Anyway,

major congrats!
That was a massive score!
:puffy:

May 31, 2012
Forgot to add,

I love this:
By 7:01 am I was grinning like a mentaller, as the sparks of history leapt from the briar to my fingertips, turning into flickering life like images from a magic-lantern in my minds eye........horses, carriages, horseless carriages, trams, black and white films of people walking unnaturally fast, with rapid gestures and strange, but instantly recognisable, clothing....and on, and on, through time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpWbp4kx7uQ

K

klause

Gent's thanks for the comments - t'was a pure stroke of luck, but, I'm still grinning.
Sable, its pretty much impossible to decipher - as its that beautiful old copperplate type script (and, on closer inspection, its actually pencil or similiar). I think I'd need to take it to the local Pharmacist to get it translated/decyphered. However, I made out a little of one of the portions; it reads, "R/P2". Its an enigma.
MLC - read your thread and near fell off the chair at the 'shank envy' - too cool. Beautiful pipe and a cracker thread - threads like those are wot make my day - dunno how I missed it - gorgeous stubby (something about a well executed stubby makes me 'aaarrrggglllleeeee' like Homer).
You found more info about the maker of my pipe than I did, Troy - thanks very much, Mate - I really appreciate it - Sometimes the pipe is just a catalyst to other thoughts, endeavours, and greater understanding. Incidentally, was that tin of Grande Cut full? Its a gorgeous tin!

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Gorgeous pipe. I think no one will fault you for making this a rack queen. Its amazing a pipe this old has survived for decades without having a flame put to it.
WH1UH1at.jpg

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Well, Klause, another obscure and beautiful pipe; congratulations!
Here's a wee bit more on your Scottish lassie (or is it a laddie?).
Montague Alexander Friedlander was born in San Francisco about 1858/59. His father was Alexander Friedlander, a peripatetic German Jew born in Hamburg around 1817. Alexander wandered from Germany, to England (where he met his wife), to California, and then to Scotland. There could well have been other stops in between. Once in Scotland Alexander established Alex. Friedlander & Co. at 23 Royal Exchange Square in Glasgow; the business first appears in Glasgow directories in the 1862/63 edition. The firm at various times dealt as a wholesale importer and shipper of tobacconists' furnishings, fancy goods, Havana cigars, cigarettes, walking sticks, jars, glass cases, scales, weights, leeches, etc.
Montague's mother was Sarah Assur, born in England about 1826. Sarah met and married Alexander in London in late 1856. The couple must have emigrated to California fairly shortly thereafter, for their son Montague was born there a few years later. Montague was their only child.
Alexander died in Glasgow in the fall of 1877, and the business was taken over by his wife, Sarah Assur Friedlander, and their son, Montague Alexander. By January of 1882 their partnership was dissolved, and the business was taken over by Montague and a man named John Burman Macaulay. The new partnership didn't last long, however, for in September of 1884 Macaulay was out and Montague remained as sole partner.
In 1886 Montague married Isabel Rose Meyer in London; the couple had at least three children, including one named Julius Assur Friedlander (1889-1951). It was Julius who took over the family business, with Montague retiring in June of 1919. Montague lasted a few more years before dying in NYC in December of 1922.
Note that Montague began being listed independently (although still associated with his father's firm) as a cigar merchant in the Glasgow directories in 1882/83. The dual listings for Montague and the firm of Alex Friedlander & Co. continued for decades. His father's firm appears to have been the more important, however, and continued appearing in phone books through at least 1954.
One final note. There were a variety of other Friedlanders in the UK around the same time apparently associated with the tobacco trade. I suspect, but don't know, that they were siblings or cousins of Alexander, suggesting that the family may well have had ties to tobacco in Germany dating back to the early 19th century.

K

klause

Jon,
Once again I am deeply endebted to you - thank you very mcuh for wading in, yet again, and expanding my meager knowledge.
You never cease to astound me, and increase the pleasure I get from these glorious pipes.
:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.