PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redredus85

Lurker
Jul 28, 2014
Ok, I must be doing something wrong. Half way through my smoke I hear what sounds like an egg being fried. Spit? Drool? The sound was intense. Is this messing up my pipe? I used pipe cleaners on the pipe till it looked clean and dry. What should I be doing different? Thanks in advance for the help.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Sounds like it may be a gurgle. Maybe your pipe cleaner isn't making its way all the way to the bowl? When it's empty push it through and see how much is left so you know know it's making it all the way through. Other than that I'm not sure, I hope this helps.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Welcome to the forum BTW! You will have all of your questions answered. Even before you have them.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
After using the pipe cleaner did anything improve ? It is probably the moister. However, if you are smoking McClelland's blends of tobacco take the sticks and stems out of it.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Too much moisture which is turning to steam because you're generating too much heat. Gotta slow down your pace. Too high heat can cause burn out but for the most part just ruins the smoke in general with tongue bite and no flavor. It's a process, learning to slow down. Heck, I've been smoking a pipe since the 80's and still can get going too fast.
Mike S.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Gurgle we call it. Some pipes are more susceptible to this than others. Even in those pipes the main causes Ive found is tobacco too wet combined with smoking to fast. Combustion creates moisture. Light a match and watch the moisture in the wood next to the flame. Pipe cleaners are a "bandaid solution" to me, the real problem stems from the aforementioned.
Before welding I often have to preheat the steel first. Im always amazed at the amount of water that will just run out of the steel when a torch is put to it.

redredus85

Lurker
Jul 28, 2014
It must be my smoking too fast. I did get a bit of tongue bite from the smoke. I'll try slowing it down. If it happens again would you suggest using a pipe cleaner then relighting the tobacco?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Pipe cleaners are the least expensive part of this hobby--be generous with their use. Periodically push a pipe cleaner through, then tamp. Relight if necessary. It's also possible that you may be getting some saliva down there. Sip your pipe slowly--don't puff. And, let your tobacco dry for a bit before you pack it. And I do mean dry. Very dry. If it crumbles into dust when you push down on it, you've dried it a bit too much, but anything short of that is okay. Even if it makes a slight twinkly sound. Tobacco that is too moist is a particular issue with many aromatics, since they often contain humectants, substances that are intended to attract moisture.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
...or it could be the sound of an egg being fried. Go into the kitchen and see if anyone in there is frying an egg.

If so, tell them to fry their egg more quietly as it is disturbing you. :puffpipe:

Jul 15, 2011
Now if only some bacon could be introduced to the mix!
I for one, fully condone and even advocate the act of smoking both bacon and eggs in one's pipe.....oh, not what you were talking about? Sorry :?
In all seriousness, I usually hear that sound toward the end of the bowl. It usually means that the tobacco at the bottom is more moist because it has soaked up all the condensation from the smoke going through it, and when I hear that sound it usually means it's time to dump the bowl. If you're hearing it midway through, you might not be drying your tobacco enough. Try experimenting with different tobacco moisture and see if that helps.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
In an attempt to recreate the sound in question, I just fried some eggs, keeping an ear close to the surface of the pan.

What I heard wasn't a sizzle so much as a bubbly "splock-plock". The eggs were sunny side up. Should I have done it differently?

I got the impression they were trying to tell me something.

Jul 15, 2011
The eggs were sunny side up. Should I have done it differently
The answer is yes if for no other reason than that eggs should only be consumed poached, scrambled, or over-medium, and any attempt to tell me otherwise is a sign of heresy. :twisted: :mrgreen:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
@redredus85

Don't you just love the way we take your concerns so seriously? :lol:

If you heard those sounds only half way through the smoke, I'll guess that it was some resinous material popping -- either in the

bowl's carbon cake, or in bits of leaf vein in the tobacco.

Of course, it's entirely possible that a small bug got packed-in with your tobacco, and that was the sound of it frying to a crisp. :lol:
I very much doubt that it is attributable to spit or drool. Many people wonder about that because the appearance of liquid in a hot

pipe's bowl seems so incongruous. As stated in some posts above, water vapor -- a byproduct of combustion -- and local humidity,

tend to condense in the relatively cooler regions of the pipe.

redredus85

Lurker
Jul 28, 2014
Bacon, yummmmmm. This is the first I have heard of drying tobacco. What's the process? I hate being the new guy.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
The sound you hear is a result of moisture. Usually a result of smoking to fast. Most of the time, it collects in the bottom of the bowl and the stem and it gurgles. The sizzling sound happens to me once in a while. Moisture, somehow, collects in the tobacco, mid-bowl, and then vaporizes rapidly when the ember gets to it. I suspect that it is related to packing and that the moisture collects between the layers that result from a 3 step pack. No real harm done. Try to slow down on your puffing.

redredus85

Lurker
Jul 28, 2014
Last nights smoke was much better. No fried egg sound (gurgle). I slowed it down, but I did have to relight a few times. Also I didn't finish the whole bowl this time. Thanks for all the advise and bacon dreams. Happy smokes y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.