PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
Does anyone know if the legislation that passed Friday regarding RYO cigs affects pipe tobacco as we use it?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The tax on OTB's went to 70% in Maryland on Friday. Luckily for me, I'm 5 miles from PA. Unlucky for Main Street Cigars and Faders, two fine Baltimore stores. I do love Faders "King Eider" english, blend, but 70% tax is nuts.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
It's the government, friend. If they say equality you can be sure that means someone has to BOHICA.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Al, what are "OTB's?" I live in Peee GEEE County but I am worried too. Could you explain how this affects us Marylanders?

OTB= Other Tobacco Products, which includes pipe tobacco. I think the old tax was 9% now it is 70%, so close to doubling the cost. As much as I love Main Street Cigars and Faders, I just won't pay double when I can get it in PA for 6% tax and it is a shorter drive. Sad, because I enjoy and think it is important to support local brick & mortar shops. "Premium cigars" which is the primary business for both of these stores will help them survive I'm sure. I'm fortunate that I drive for work near several great PA shops, but folks who live in Baltimore (PG County!), etc aren't so fortunate.

We're going to a reception today at Antietam Battlefield hosted by our Governor (O'Malley). Dare I say "thanks guv for sending my business out of state" to him and bend his ear a bit? I'll probably get thrown out...

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Minnesota is passing Internet Sales Tax Legislation now. I placed an order today for $290.00 worth of Tobacco . The new tax on that would be $203.00.

barndog

Lurker
Jul 19, 2012
Hi there, this post prompted me to look in to tobacco tax in the U.K.

all taxes are high here, but the tax on tobacco in already in the sale price, not an extra like sales tax.

Hand rolling tobacco, duty is £164.11 per Kg/$256.34 per kg.price of a kilo of tobacco in store.£330/kg $515.47/kg =50% tax.

Pipe tobacco, duty is £91.81/kg/ $143.41/kg. price of a kilo of say Dunhill EMP £237.60 /$371.14/kg =38.6%

cigar duty 208.83/kg .....Nuff said!!

I thought we had it bad phewee. but you guys 70% thats Bad!!

I Raise a glass to the European Smuggler!

Status
Not open for further replies.