Friday Night Rant

(48 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by piperl12
  • Latest reply from juvat270
  1. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, so I go to pick my oldest son up today at his high school for lunch out with Dad for his Birthday. I'm sitting in my truck minding my own business, smoking a bowl of Macbarens 7 seas cause it was on sale and I'm cheap about the tobacco I smoke when I'm working. Anyway I had my window down maybe 4 or 5 inches reviewing some estimates and I hear a knock on the window of my truck. I look up expecting to see my son and low and behold its a cop. Now I have the utmost respect for our men in uniform and most of the time I think its a thankless job of long hours and crappy people to deal with. So I roll down my window and he says he has received a complaint about my smoking on school property. I look around and the only sign in the parking lot is a no parking in the fire lane sign. I asked him where this was posted and he informs me it's an internal policy. Nice right. So I was polite with the cop but I said technically I'm smoking in my car in a parking lot of the public library as they are attached. He says if I don't move my truck he can have me charged with a city ordinance violation that states you can't smoke within 1000m of a school. Well this is news to me. Last I heard high schools had smoking areas. Anyway to finish my pipe I am expected to move my vehicle out on to the street to wait for my son. So as I am starting my truck, he says oh by the way how old is your son. I said 15, he said do you smoke with him in the car, to which I answered yes with the window down. Then he proceeds to tell me its illegal to smoke with a minor child in your vehicle and I can be charged with that too. In fact according to him kids have been taken out of smoking homes by child services. So I put my pipe in the ash try of the truck and moved to the street to wait for him. Is it just me or are all my hobbys taking me from being a law abiding business owner who pays his share of taxes to a periah in my own community. Don't even get me started on my non-hunting city folk neighbours. It might just be time to move way the hell up North and tell them all to kiss my ass. Sorry guys just had to vent. LOL

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Amazing how you can be a productive member of society, participating in a legal activity and be turned into a criminal by nanny-state a-holes. Get harrassed, ticketed, fined and have your rights as a parent revoked. I'm sure the state can do a much better job of raising someone's kid than a pipe smoker. WTF?

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Nazi's, they are multiplying by the millions. Enough to make you want to puke on them.

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This stuff has gotten out of line. Our mayor, in NYC, banned smoking in bars. That was where people went to smoke. Then banned it in parks. Now he is pushing through a law to prohibit the sale of large glasses of soda. Next he'll be telling us we can't eat bacon because it has too much fat. Yet he maintains a private fleet of planes and copters to commute to distant estates, polluting our air needlessly. He also wants to charge $8.00 to enter midtown Manhattan in a car. Why? To curb pollution. They can do it, we can't. Like a class system. Reminds me of JFK who banned trade with Cuba, except for his cigars.

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. meerschaumsteve

meerschaumsteve

Login to Send PM

OK, I never knew smoking restrictions applied to you in your car... and the bit about taking kids from smoking parents, that's news to me.

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I feel for you. That is absurd. What state do you live in? I respect people who respect others. I have a hard time saying I respect the police in general. In Tennessee we have a lot of country cops who only hassle people for stupid little things. It drives me crazy. I do respect a person for joining a force that protects other people but I fear that a lot of people become police just for the power. Also in TN it is way too easy to become a police officer. A very minor psych evaluation and a really short academy class. I know a couple of them have said and done some very creepy things in my parents small town like pull over the same girl over and over just to talk to her.

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. igloo

igloo

Beware Trouble Maker

Login to Send PM

You have to inconspicuous .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j_Oylyqei4&feature=related

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 6 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

We are living in an Orwellian society.

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Photoman, Im from Ontario Canada we aren't even allowed to show tobacco products on our shelves here. It has gotten out of line, but it's happening everywhere and pretty soon we won't be allowed to do anything but go to work so we can pay more taxes.

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. You always have us to share photos of pipes and such. At least you are not alone.

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

It's on the way here, too. Check out these idiots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tznR4wPeS4M

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. johncorosz

Corosz

Login to Send PM

Ever get that feeling?

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Piperl12, I'm from Ontario as well and I've had serious thoughts of fleeing too. If you find anywhere in this country that's a safe haven from the creeping big brother please let me know...

Matt.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  14. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Where are you from ghost maybe we can get together some time to share a bowl. Have been seriously considering buying land north of North Bay seeing as though it might be awhile before the cityits begin banging on the door. I need 200 acres and I'm going to build a house smack dab in the middle with a driveway long enough that your either friend or target practice when you pull up to the house lol

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is because people in the US no nothing about our laws. They believe what people say not facts. I have heard so many just blatantly wrong facts on policy. It is very frustrating.

Posted 6 years ago #
  16. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Where are you from Photoman?

Posted 6 years ago #
  17. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm right in the heart of busybody, bureaucrat hell in Ottawa, and anything outside of the city is looking very appealing right now. I drove through North Bay last year on the way to Sudbury for a work assignment. First time up that far North and it was quite a trip to see how much the topography changes past Mattawa. Sasquatch Country!

Posted 6 years ago #
  18. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

Ya they even banned smoking on outdoor patios in the Ottawa Market and Sparks Street. This is ridiculous how anal the government is, yet they tax the shit out of us smokers. It used to only be that you can't smoke on a covered patio, now this. It's so frustrating.

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Knoxville, Tennessee USA but originally from Monroe, Michigan USA.

Posted 6 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Those laws in Ontario are state laws in Maine as well. No smoking on school grounds, no smoking in a vehicle with children passengers (under 16 IIRC), no smoking in state (and many local) parks.

The goal is to make smoking so oppressive and so hated, they will eradicate smoking entirely.

Coming to your state and cities and towns near you.

Posted 6 years ago #
  21. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a very weird situation. Most of the time I think establishments intend to curb cigarette smoking only. I have stopped in a few bars that didn't mind pipe smoking, but definitely didn't allow cigarette smoking, and I've also been in a bar that allowed cigarette smoking, but not pipe and cigar smoking (still don't understand that last one). That guy sounds like one of those crazy antis who hates any kind of smoking. I doubt there would be anything you could say that would open his mind. It's unfortunate that people like him actually are permitted to work as an officer "of the law".

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 6 years ago #
  22. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He says if I don't move my truck he can have me charged with a city ordinance violation that states you can't smoke within 1000m of a school. Well this is news to me. Last I heard high schools had smoking areas

The moral of the story is: Be aware of the laws and ordinances of the state and community regarding tobacco in which you live, and follow 'em. You may despise them, but you're stuck until they get changed.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 6 years ago #
  23. sjpipesmoker

sjpipesmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In california, they seem to be ok with people smoking pot vs tobacco. I was at a concert a long time ago sitting up in the seats way up towards the top and smoking a cig, while all around me and on the floor people were smoking weed, and yep, they climbed up to tell me to put out my cig.

Because I have 2 young boys, I don't smoke in my house, I smoke in my car but not with them in there and never will. Growing up, my dad smoked with us in there and I even got to light his cigs...nowdays, you're right, He would be hauled off to jail, But let the big corporations bankrupt the country!

I really feel sorry for Canadians, all I hear on the boards is how much their tobacco products is taxed...can't imagine paying double for a tin.

Posted 6 years ago #
  24. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

America 2012. You're lucky he didn't pull you out of the car and taze you.

Posted 6 years ago #
  25. mick

Bulldog Mick

Login to Send PM

I live in Ontario as well, but I also spent nearly a decade in a communist country and so I can appreciate the laws that exist to protect our citizens. Yes, sometimes they go too far and can feel like a pain in the ass, but I'm proud of our democratic system that allows for voices to be heard instead of muffled and carried off in the middle of the night.

Just try one small bowl and you will forever more be a Grousemoor whore.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  26. macattack

macattack

Login to Send PM

I hate the nanny state ideals. Given I don't smoke around my kids but kids being removed from a home where smokers live?

Froggy, the smoking ban is statewide. Bloomberg the commie will continue to change the rules to benefit himself and take more rights away from the citizens of NYC and that infection will hit Albany soon enough. The issue seems to be most of of people agree with him without knowing the consequences.

Soon enough we're gonna have to smoke our pipes in hidden bunkers so we don't pollute the air...Wait...I don't wanna give them any ideas

- Kevin -

Flakes, Plugs and Crumble Kakes
    Posted 6 years ago #
  27. adam12

adam12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't feel obligated to push back, but what the hell, if we can rant like above, then a point of defense should be expected, right?

A quick glance of this thread and it's no wonder we have been losing good members of this forum steadily over the last year, as the pendulum swings in the direction of blanket and ambiguous statements about supposedly predatory police and red-eyed paranoiac ranting, despite the fact that the OP here made a very detailed statement that the individual who first reported the incident was a citizen, not the officer. Those of you who wish to rant about the police have many places to do so besides here, where I used to think the best thing about this forum was that we kept the politics out of the air to the betterment of all. It seems recently that, for whatever reason (and I'm banking on the frustrations of things other than smoking bans building in some of us) the dark mentality evident on so many other forums is alive here.

Whatever happened to the loose understanding that this particular forum wasn't going to fall prey to the things that bring other forums down, the same things which guide us here as a refuge? Ironic that those of you who wish to escape the wasteland (physically, mentally) are squarely in the middle of it as evidenced by your statements.

However justified it may seem given the times, this sort of ranting does nothing to enlighten or approach the situation from any constructive attempt to move forward. The banks "rape" us according to one poster above, police all over the country "taze" us indiscriminately, anti-smokers are "Nazis", the "law" that officers follow is in ironic quotes, it's "easy" to be a cop because all they do is "hassle" people and pull over women for nefarious reasons, our driveways are a good vantage point with which to have "target practice", and on and on. What kind of forum has this become?

I'd love to jump in with an informed knowledge of the state of police recruitment and police training across the country, an objective outlook on the state of laws that are being repealed in certain places, a very informed knowledge about police use of force tactics based on current research, and maybe even make an effort to make this more of a constructive conversation despite the tsunami of anecdotal ranting. But why bother. I'd be more successful cooking a steak with a matchstick than to try and change the minds of a mob. We have allowed a very dark characteristic of other forums take hold, and it's hardly the laid-back place it was even back in the spring when the Chicago show caused me to return here after a while away. But I don't think ranting about the cops and Nazis peeking in our windows was something we did here. I guess it is. Shame, too, because it used not to be. Knock yourselves out I guess, and enjoy giving yourselves heart disease over antismoking-Nazi-cop-tasing-rapists lurking everywhere.

Last thing: hats off to Jud, who had the even keel above to lay blame for this entire situation of smoking bans at the feet of the REAL culprits: the voters, which includes ourselves. If you want to change the situation, direct your energy and anger to positive change in that manner as opposed to the negativity on display here. I guess I could have taken my own advice from a while back about ignoring rants of others, but I will take the bait offered and say it's a damn shame what has happened to this forum.

Posted 6 years ago #
  28. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Adam I think you may have misread my comment. But nevertheless you write a huge paragraph (well written I might add) to make us all look stupid. I know it is the voters that have brought about the laws, as do most here. People are just frustrated. I think the police officer could have handled it better and where I live it is too easy to have the power of being a police officer. That is all I wanted to say. I didn't realize that was a political argument and I apologize.

Posted 6 years ago #
  29. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cilil disobedience my good friends. It's the only way, and if that doesn't work... well... VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

Jerod
    Posted 6 years ago #
  30. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I think the frustration was more so in how the officer handled the situation and the politics involved in how these laws came to be.

Posted 6 years ago #
  31. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This should probably be posted under the "Tobacco Legislation" sub-forum, shouldn't it? That way nobody gets upset that were talking about politics.

Posted 6 years ago #
  32. chopz

chopz

Login to Send PM

i agree with adam. when i see labels like "nazi" and "commie" it sends up red flags. especially in this day and age that most people don't even have a clear idea of what these are, in large part thanks to the soundbyting and obfuscation that goes on in the media.

ranting is good. i hope the politicizing of rants can continue to be kept to a minimum. i'd hate to see the 'no politics' rule get repealed and have to see ya'll subjected to my political views.

Posted 6 years ago #
  33. lankfordjl

lankfordjl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree. Voters must live with the laws made by the politicians that they have voted in office. So if things are to change, we must vote out the politicians that want to take away our independence.

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." -Mark Twain-
    "A pipe helps a wise man to think and gives a fool something to put in his mouth" -Trischman's Paradox-
    "Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim;...but I discipline my body and make it my slave." -1Cor 9-
    Posted 6 years ago #
  34. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Lankfordjl and I as well hate commie and natzi. Especially because I have a German background.

Posted 6 years ago #
  35. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

in Ohio anyways it's a very well known fact NO smoking on school grounds. (in or out of cars. It just ain't going to happen. Now, most smaller schools don't have a 'cop' patrolling or probably care about an adult in a car. But, I'm sure some soccer mom pointed you out and the cop had to do what he had to do. The large hosp group I worked for outlawed smoking entirely on the campus. employees have to walk off campus into the neighborhoods which most don't have that kind of time. we have security guys who had to bust you even if sitting in your car. most didn't like it but if they let you slide who you figure ends up with the ass chewing? almost every inch of every campus is on camera. around here most lunches are 'closed' and no one is allowed to leave school grounds.

Posted 6 years ago #
  36. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Governing Dynamics. Politicians are only doing what's best for themselves, and for their fellow politicians.

Posted 6 years ago #
  37. juvat270

juvat270

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is because people in the US no nothing about our laws. They believe what people say not facts. I have heard so many just blatantly wrong facts on policy. It is very frustrating.

It amazes me too just how many people in this country do not understand what a "right" is. A lot of people I talk to seem to think "rights" are something your allowed to do but can be amended or denied with the constantly changing social zeitgeist. That's called a "privilege" people, not a right.

Posted 6 years ago #
  38. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

However justified it may seem given the times, this sort of ranting does nothing to enlighten or approach the situation from any constructive attempt to move forward.

But that is the definition of a rant, which was all the OP was doing. And as it was related to his pipe smoking, seems relevant to this forum.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 6 years ago #
  39. johncorosz

Corosz

Login to Send PM

and of course by now this should have been moved to the "other than pipe smoking discussions"

Posted 6 years ago #
  40. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What is with you John, it is fine to post this in this room and who are you to question it? Are you just going to go thread to thread and decide which room a post should be in and then complain if it doesn't fit what room you think it should be in? Is that your job? We have moderators who handle that.

Harris
    Posted 6 years ago #
  41. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

when i see labels like "nazi" and "commie" it sends up red flags

+1

we must vote out the politicians that want to take away our independence.

You are not going to find anyone running for political office who will say "people should be able to smoke in more places". This is not a partisan issue; it has nothing to do with Democrats, Republicans, conservatives, or liberals.
    The current climate is,IMO, a combination of several factors. First, people are angry with Big Tobacco (AKA the cigarette companies) for their insistence on marketing to children, and their consistent refusal to admit any health risks involved in using their product. Next, the current zeitgeist is that the most important thing is to live a long life, so risk must be avoided at all costs. Quality of life is less important. Then there is the fact that many cigarette smokers are totally inconsiderate, dumping butts everywhere. Add on to that the fact that there are always some busybodies out there, who are glad to run everyone's lives for them. And, finally, for years people who didn't smoke had no escape in public places. Allergic to tobacco? Got asthma or some other breathing issue? Better avoid bars, restaurants,offices,and most other public places, because they are full of smoke.

I hope the pendulum starts to swing back, and we can come up with some way of accommodating everyone, but I'm not hopeful in the short term. And Adam, thanks for the kind words.

Posted 6 years ago #
  42. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Governing Dynamics. Politicians are only doing what's best for themselves, and for their fellow politicians.
    I'm slower on Saturday afternoons then the rest of the week.. what are you talking about?

the cop was simply doing his job. someone pointed you out to him and I suspect that same someone would have no problem going into the school and pointing out the cop wasn't doing his job.

Posted 6 years ago #
  43. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm slower on Saturday afternoons then the rest of the week.. what are you talking about?

the cop was simply doing his job. someone pointed you out to him and I suspect that same someone would have no problem going into the school and pointing out the cop wasn't doing his job.

Posted 6 years ago #
  44. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow guys, sorry I poked the hornets nest and caused such a rift. That was totally unexpected. I didn't not intend to create such a divide between forum members. However, as was pointed out so eloquently if you believe that you are going to be able to run for political office and change the current anti-smoking mentality, well you have fun with that. I believe it has swung so far in the other direction that your opinion would be neither wanted or valued. You would be black balled out of politics because majority opinion is what gets politicians elected thus the term popular vote. I do however take issue with the fact that such an out cry exists in a pro tobacco forum when frustration is expressed for an anti-smoking experiance. My "rant" was no different than the one most listened to regarding the cruise ship regulations in last weeks podcast that many agreed with. Everyone is entitled to their opinion both for and against. That is what seperates intellegent pipe smokers from the rest is our ability to see both sides, form an opinion and stand by the opinion because it was based on due consideration and fact not retoric. If my post has offended I apologize for offending however I do not apologize for my opinion or my frustration. Continue to come to the defence of everyone elses rights and soon you will have none of your own. And just for the record I am one of the few in this country who have written a blank check to my country up to and including my life. I believe that entitles me to my opinion.

Thus endeth the sermon (wink)

Cheers

-Rob

Posted 6 years ago #
  45. kris

kris

Login to Send PM

I was not offended.

Posted 6 years ago #
  46. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You are entitled to your opinion, in this country, whether or not you have served in the military. Period.

But when you voice your opinion in a public forum, you are liable to get a wide variety of responses,simply because everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Posted 6 years ago #
  47. kris

kris

Login to Send PM

+1

...and that is why good men fight.

Posted 6 years ago #
  48. juvat270

juvat270

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If my post has offended I apologize for offending

Never apologize. In a free society, no one has the right to not be offended.

Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lawdawg, gatorlope, ravkesef, laniromee, nunnster, newportpipe, k9shag, ben88, pianopuffer, cowboythunder, krizzose, prairiedruid, jpberg, jiminks