PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
This has been my first foray back into the world of pure Virginia tobaccos in quite a long time, and I have to say it is a nice surprise. The flake is presented in a square 50 gram tin (probably my favorite tin presentation), and the flakes are all uniformly cut and are a beautiful dark brown with little flecks of lighter brown. Tin smells pretty heavily of raisins, chocolate, and the tin note of rum is pretty potent. I let my tin air out for a good hour before I tried a bowl, and I just kind of ruffle the flakes up with my fingertips and rip it apart until it is a "broken" flake kind of consistency, then load the bowl and go to town. First light gives off a very grassy, little raisiny taste with a wonderful background of lemon zest that tastes very clean and fresh. Second light gives off a little earthy flavor with a pretty bold sweetness and a deepened raisin and fresh cut grass flavor. I have tried this blend in a number of different pipes including two new ones, and in pipes that aren't very well broken in, the rum essence kind of disappears after the first few puffs. In something like a well broken in cob or a dedicated Savinelli that I have been smoking for a while, the rum flavor really comes through a lot more, adding a note that is a little spicy and gives the blend a little sweetness that is almost like burnt sugar, a different sweetness than is naturally found in Virginias. The further down the bowl you go the blend gets a little spicier and gets even sweeter, and even with some diligent puffing this blend was always smooth, cool, and dry. Burns down to a fine white ash and leaves no goop. Honestly, I was really surprised by this stuff considering that it is a pure Virginia (or so they say it is), but even though that is the case it is far from monochromatic and there's a lot going on here. All VA flake smokers and anyone looking for something a little different should definitely give this one a go.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Thanks for the nice write up Pipe Novelist. I am putting together an order right now that includes a tentative step into a few flakes. Think I will take your advice and "give it a go". :D

Jul 15, 2011
I have to say that I was quite surprised by the nicotine hit on this one too. Not overpowering, but appreciable given that Virginia isnt usually known to be a high nic leaf, at least from my limited understanding. Just finished a bowl in my new Boswell and have come to the realization that this blend behaves better with a pack that is slightly looser than what I am used to. Dont know if thats because of the cut, burn qualities, etc, but I seem to get a lot better flavor and a lot more consistent smoke with looser packing.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just smoked my first bowl of this one yesterday and I enjoyed it. It is so similar to their Vintage that I will need to smoke it a few more times to be able to discern the differences. It is a quality blend that is nothing new to F&T, they makes some really good stuff. My sample was from 2007 so I am thinking that maybe some of the rum topping has faded. I have some tins coming so I will be trying it fresh.
Pipe Novelist, great review. I did not notice that much of the rum topping which is why it tasted so much like the Vintage. I am looking forward to smoking it fresh so I can get the rum flavor from it. It could be one of those blends that is better smoked fresh.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have now smoked about half a dozen bowls of this from a fresh tin and am really enjoying it. I honestly believe this blend is the same as their Vintage but with a rum casing. I really like the fact that it comes ready to smoke with no drying time required. I also think that age will cause the rum flavoring to dissipate after only a few years. The 2007 sample I smoked was nice, but definitely lacking in the rum department so I will not be aging this one like my other VA flakes.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Great review PN, and interesting ageing comparison Harris. Will put this on the try list, I’m always looking for another VA flake to try. Having the leaf cased with rum will of course change the leaf ageing, plus hinder the bacterial growth. From your comment it seems to be a determent to the VA ageing well. An interesting observation on alcohol cased leaf, with its possible effects on both sides of the ageing process.
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.