PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Well... I expected to be blown away, and maybe that was my downfall.
I opened a tin I've had for six months on Christmas day, and what can I say? This has to be the mildest tobacco I've ever smoked. One review I read describes it as "Dunhill Flakes little sister", which in my opinion, is a huge understatement. In MY opinion, describing it as Dunhill Flakes "newborn BABY sister" would be much more accurate.
So, I guess my question would be, what is it exactly, that causes this flake to receive so many rave reviews?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks for the warning lostandfound. I’ve never tried it, but I have had Dunhill Flake, and I know I would not enjoy a VA flake that’s milder than DH.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I find Dunhill Flake rather plain tasting.
OTOH, CVP is a basic, grassy Virginia flake with a dark side sweetness that I'd put in the date and prune family

-- perhaps even approaching anise. It produces lots of caramel overtones and has an ever-so-slight spiciness.
I can't recall ever smoking a bright Virginia flake that produced sweet tastes in a part of the spectrum that is this dark.

It is well worth investigating for its uniqueness and distinctive character -- let alone its wonderful taste.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that this blend has some flavoring, or at least some Perique; but I couldn't detect

anything other than a natural, unadulterated tobacco taste.
I rank CVP way above Dunhill Flake -- but tastes do differ.

Dec 24, 2012
I echo what Cortez said to the letter. To my taste receptors, CVP ranks quite a bit above Dunhill Flake for the reasons he states. Don't give up on it yet - finish the tin and keep trying to coax those flavors out with slow and steady puffing.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Lol Brian.
I'll keep working on it. It's not bad, by any means. I'll put it in some different pipes and try to slow down- probably let a flake dry for ten minutes. I seem to have better luck with a drier flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.