PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
I'm a virginia smoker and have noticed many times that tobacco needs at least a few days if not weeks out of the tin before it becomes as good as it gets. And I'm not talking about drying tobacco.
What are your experiences?

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
Yes, I would say that is my experience as well. I think it may be just like cooking and reducing the water out of something. Evaporation equals concentration of flavors. At least, that's my theory.

slowpuffer

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2012
Many tobacco tins are vacuum sealed, preventing air from coaxing along those chemical processes which make a blend taste like it should. That is why I prefer to smoke bulk blends. I find that their quality is more consistent. Also, C&D and GL Pease do not vacuum seal their tins to allow air inside the tin to do its thing (if memory serves me right, I don't think McClelland vacuum seals their tins either).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I hadn't noticed. But now that you mention it my enjoyment does seem to increase as I work my way through a tin.

I just figured it was because of my increasing familiarity with the blend. But it may actually be the tobacco that's changing.

Good observation! :clap:

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Not just VA's - it seems that a number of tobaccos, English & VA come alive after being open for a few days. Sometimes I get a really sharp, even stinging effect from newly opened VA, or VA heavy blends. G.L. Pease Lombard is one of the most pronounced cases of this I've experienced.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I whole heartedly agree. I just recieved an order of Virginias that I just couldn't wait to smoke and was quickly reminded of this phenomenon. Seems that most smoke moist, hot, bloated and bitter right out of the tin. I have come to the painful reality that after waiting for so long for my tobaccos to arrive I have yet more time to wait. I store all of my tobacco in mason jars and was wondering how most of you store your virginias that come to life in a few days after opening? Do you leave them in the opened tin or jar them? I may try leaving the lid off for periods of time just to speed up this softening period.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I enjoy some Virginias right from the tin, others I don't enjoy until they're fifteen years old. All in all though, I'd agree with your sentiment.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
I jar them because I like to rotate a few different types and it takes me long time to smoke them.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I hadn't noticed. But now that you mention it my enjoyment does seem to increase as I work my way through a tin.

I just figured it was because of my increasing familiarity with the blend. But it may actually be the tobacco that's changing.

Good observation
+1

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Ohin, Nothing special to my open tin aging/airing, just pop the seal and throw the plastic lid back on (referencing, Pease, C&D, McClelland etc style tins) and let subtle reintroduction of air do it's thing. If they are really moist, I may leave the lid off overnight.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Love this forum! Sharing of knowledge about this is priceless! Thanks to all you guys.
I am slowly trying new tobaccos and recently put some virginias in my humble cellar. I was excited to find Ratray's marlin flake with some age on it. I have so far resisted opening it despite my initial excitement. I plan on putting a few more blends in the cellar shortly. I will make a mental note on this topics information.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I really hated Virginias when I first joined the forum. But with all the advice I have gotten here, I have certainly learned to enjoy them a great deal. I never considered the "new" tin problem, but I too tend to enjoy them more as they age. I definitely recommend a dedicated and clean pipe to get the most a Virginia has to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.