Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

"Fresh" Kapp Royal on Smokingpipes...

(43 posts)
  1. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

For $180 you'd think you could at least get a straight stem, or is that too much to ask? God's sake... some of the stuff they put out is bloody awful when it comes to quality control. I love Kapp Royal's but this is just unforgivably bad on Peterson.

“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  2. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One could also say that the seller (and I love smokingpipes... just sayin...) shouldn't bother putting it up for sale but should have contacted the Peterson factory. Those in charge at Peterson, don't know they need to address an issue with their QC if they are not themselves informed.

Edit to add: I have a pipe with that stem to shank fitment style and out of curiosity I just fiddled with it a bit. Could be the stem isn't inserted all the way. I just did it with mine.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 week ago #
  3. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You raise a good point Anthony in that I think it is as much on the seller as the factory to catch poorly constructed pipes-at least when t's obvious-and not offer them up for sale.

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

At this price point (or any price point, really) I don’t see how this even left the factory. I mean presumably somebody fits stem to stummel and gives it a once over?

Posted 1 week ago #
  5. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Also doesn’t Laudisi own Peterson now? Overall corporate management-wise the two companies are basically one and the same. SP excels in all things, I know pipe making is a whole different animal than online retailing, but they need to get Peterson back on top. Shit like this is what is giving them a bad reputation lately.

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shit like this is what is giving them a bad reputation lately.
    Honestly I think it's more social media giving them a bad reputation. Out of all my pipes, I've had no serious issues with any of my Peterson pipes. Occasionally we hear or see on on the forums or Facebook or whatever that is a bad apple. Those bad apples get shared all over the place as if it's the norm. But I hear about issues with other makers as well. In fact I've had more issues with Savinelli than I have with Peterson... drilled way off center, lost a ridiculous amount of stain on another... and I've seen others. The strange thing is that when problems happen with other makers not many people raise a real fuss about it, like with Peterson. If I were thinking logically, with me having less Savinelli than Peterson, but with the Savs having more issues, I'd have to assume Savinelli had terrible quality control. I don't really believe that is the case, however. With the ridiculous amount of pipes that Peterson and Savinelli both pump out, there are going to be a few that get by QC.

Posted 1 week ago #
  7. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

I don’t own any Sav’s so I can’t say, but with as much volume as they churn out daily I guess it’s not surprising that a few are bad. I have a few poorly constructed Peterson’s and I only own 7, so I guess I’m more sensitive to it. Especially when you buy a higher end model and something is this blatantly off. The drilling is jacked on a couple of mine, I just choose to try and ignore it because they’re beautiful to look at. And when smoked properly (gently) they don’t tend to gurgle much, if at all, so no harm I suppose. To be fair, I love Peterson pipes. I don’t love any pipes as much as theirs. I’m not saying other manufacturers don’t have lemons, either. For the price this just irritates the crap out of me, more so because I want to buy a Kapp Royal and then I see this garbage. The stem on one of my Rosslare’s is similarly crooked and this is giving me PTSD lol.

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

I agree the peterson qc problems seem blown out of proportion to me. I've bought many new and estate petersons and only ever had 1 with a slightly off center drilling. Even that one still smokes perfectly though. I've got a few army mounts and I agree that it may just that the stem is not seated correctly in the pipe causing the misalignment.

Posted 1 week ago #
  9. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Read somewhere in recent years that no one then at the Peterson factory actually smoked pipes. So, a non-pipe smoker assembling stems might miss a stem like that being unknowledgeable.

Posted 1 week ago #
  10. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Generally blown out of proportion or not, if this stem is fully seated this is a real QC issue that’s not being exaggerated and it’s not acceptable. For this price it’s shameful. I’d expect a straight stem on a $40 pipe. Again, I love my Peterson’s. And I’m not trying to be argumentative with you fine folks. This one is really getting under my skin, though. For the sake of my sanity, and faith in humankind, I hope this stem isn’t fully seated in the picture. I guess that’s all I really have to say about it.

Posted 1 week ago #
  11. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mtwaller, you could try contacting them about that pipe. They'll probably check the stem on it. They'll just need the item number.

Posted 1 week ago #
  12. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Laudisi will sell ANYthing they can.

Peterson will sell ANYthing they can.

And luckily, tons of pipe smokers will buy ANYthing they find.

So it all works out.

Smokingpipes long ago lost their appeal for me - few pipes in a row that were absolute silly garbage, and it's a real hassle to do a return internationally, having paid taxes etc, so I kept 'em, but it marked the end of my shopping with them, really.

Posted 1 week ago #
  13. daytonsean

Sean

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Send SP a message about it. Or just take a pass on buying the pipe.

My soul has had enough chicken soup, it needs more TESD podcast.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  14. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Edit to add: I have a pipe with that stem to shank fitment style and out of curiosity I just fiddled with it a bit. Could be the stem isn't inserted all the way. I just did it with mine.
    (AR quote)

I could be the photographer's fault. Didn't put the stem in properly and failed to check (proof!) the photo. Could be. But it is sloppy.

BTW, all my Petes smoke very well. A couple have pits. A few are stunning.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  15. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Meh, if I were going to buy one it wouldn’t be from SP, they’re available much cheaper elsewhere.

Posted 1 week ago #
  16. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Before going berserk.. Was the stem actually inserted correctly? How was it photographed? Got a link I couldn't find it?

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 1 week ago #
  17. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Before going berserk.. Was the stem actually inserted correctly? How was it photographed? Got a link I couldn't find it?

Posted 1 week ago #
  18. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

They must have taken it down, it’s not listed any longer. If a 106 pops back up then I’d suppose they did a new photo shoot with the stem properly seated. If not... it was a bad apple. Er... billiard. At least they found it and took steps to remedy the situation.

Posted 1 week ago #
  19. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, we can hope it was just a bad photo shoot. If it definitely *was* the pipe, I would absoLUTEly give it a pass. As mt said, I'd expect an aligned stem for *40* simoleons, never mind 180. I might take it in a *low*-end basket pipe, but that *is* just a "might." Hopefully it *was* just a photo issue.

B

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  20. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Could it be that the stem just wasn’t properly “fitted” into the mortise and if you pushed in a bit further it will sit straight? I’m really just asking as I’ve never owned this brand of Peterson but it looks as though they just hadn’t pushed it in all the way snug when they took the picture.

Posted 1 week ago #
  21. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I once went to buy a Peterson at my local b/m as they were a Pete dealer. Almost half of the 20 odd something pipes I looked at that day had serious issues. When I asked the owner why they were not shipped back to the factory he just shrugged his shoulders and rolled his eyes intimating that he was stuck with them. I decided that day to never give Pete my money. That occurred maybe back around 2013 or so.

I really like the shapes of many Peterson pipes and one day might actually buy one once SP gets the factory in order.

Harris
    Posted 1 week ago #
  22. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can't believe they(smokingpipes.com) or anybody will sell a pipe with this like out of line stem,my guess is that was not properly inserted when the photo was taken,moreover, when I'm buying a pipe from smokingpipes.com I always ask their staff to properly inspect the pipe prior to shipping, stem fitment and drilling at least.I have had good results following this practice with smokingpipes.com especially.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 week ago #
  23. shaneireland

shaneireland

Login to Send PM

Mtwaller, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I have checked the pipe myself and the stem fit is not the issue. We should have caught this bad photo and retaken the picture with the stem inserted correctly. We've done that now. Here's a screenshot of the updated image:

Screen-Shot-2019-06-13-at-1-46-05-PM">

Don't hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service department if you ever have any questions or concerns regarding a product listing on the site. Feel free to reach out to me directly as well. We're always happy to check a pipe thoroughly before you make any decision.

-Shane

Shane.ireland@smokingpipes.com

Posted 1 week ago #
  24. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Shane, you’re a gentleman and a scholar. I’m glad to see it was a simple fix and not a case of a poorly made pipe. I apologize for being too quick to judge the pipe/smokingpipes. It’s a great looking piece, I’m sure it will find a happy home. (P.S. I enjoy your tasting notes videos, keep on keepin’ on).

Posted 1 week ago #
  25. shaneireland

shaneireland

Login to Send PM

Shane, you’re a gentleman and a scholar. I’m glad to see it was a simple fix and not a case of a poorly made pipe. I apologize for being too quick to judge the pipe/smokingpipes. It’s a great looking piece, I’m sure it will find a happy home. (P.S. I enjoy your tasting notes videos, keep on keepin’ on).

It's my pleasure, and thanks again for pointing this out.

I will definitely be doing more Tasting Notes videos. I find myself opening a tin these days and thinking that I should review that blend, only to realize that I have already reviewed it... I need to start taking requests or grabbing things at random that are totally out of my comfort zone.

What blends do you enjoy the most? Are you a Virginia smoker?

Posted 1 week ago #
  26. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shane, have you guys looked through all your Pete's in stock in your SC warehouse and pulled the ones with issues? Have you owned the company long enough to insure that every pipe coming out of the factory has been looked over very carefully? I really do want to add a certain Pete to my collection but not until things have been straightened out. I don't want to support the Peterson brand if things don't change.

Posted 1 week ago #
  27. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So. it wasn't a Pete QC issue after all. Wonder how quick some folks would have been to claim a QC problem in this case if it was a brand other than Peterson.

Posted 1 week ago #
  28. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's still crooked, and still a QC issue. But it's not a 300 dollar pipe either, so expectations should be managed in that direction too, in all fairness.

Posted 1 week ago #
  29. shaneireland

shaneireland

Login to Send PM

Shane, have you guys looked through all your Pete's in stock in your SC warehouse and pulled the ones with issues? Have you owned the company long enough to insure that every pipe coming out of the factory has been looked over very carefully? I really do want to add a certain Pete to my collection but not until things have been straightened out. I don't want to support the Peterson brand if things don't change.

We inspect every pipe from every brand upon arrival. We're checking for a variety of issues and every brand is a bit different in terms of construction and design choices. Having said that, you're talking about hundreds of pipes going to the website each week, thousands each month, etc. Things can fall through the cracks and if they do, we always want to and work hard to make it right. You can return any pipe (as long as it hasn't been smoked) within 30 days of the purchase, for any reason. We also warranty each pipe to be free of any defects for one year from the date of purchase. Keep in mind that some things are subjective; certain designs will not pass a pipe cleaner, for example, and with those designs we cannot consider the pipe cleaner test grounds for rejection during our quality control process.

Regarding Peterson specifically, they have been aggressively tackling improvements to production and will continue to do so. This isn't something that happens overnight, nor should any manufacturer ever reach a point where they stop trying to improve. Smokingpipes.com does have inventory that was produced before Peterson changed ownership, but that doesn't mean that those pipes have issues. We've sold tens of thousands of Peterson pipes over the years and as a percentage only a tiny amount of them have had issues. This is the nature of products that are made nearly entirely by hand.

I doubt that you'd have trouble simply selecting a Peterson pipe from our website, but I would be more than happy to personally inspect any pipes you're considering. I could also hunt down a particular shape/finish combination to ensure that you're 100% satisfied with the purchase. If there's a certain Pete that you'd like to own, I'm sure we can find one that you'll be very happy with.

Posted 1 week ago #
  30. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Shane for your reply and explanation. I have no doubt you guys will get things running smoothly, you are great at what you do. I figured it would take a good year plus to get closer to where you want to be.
    I appreciate the offer to look at pipes for me. I will certainly take a look and see if something is in stock that I like.

Posted 1 week ago #
  31. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now that’s damn fine service there folks! Speaking as a SmokingPipes fanboy myself so my thoughts may be a bit biased. In my opinion they have been excellent all the years I’ve been doing business with them.
    Sas, I don’t really see how the pipe is still crooked, can you expand on that point please?

Posted 1 week ago #
  32. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

Love smokingpipes.com and the people have been amazing there. Shane's videos are great too.

Posted 1 week ago #
  33. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hawky, it's really tough to get this "just right" because the picture isn't dead horizontal, the edges are not super defined, but trying to put a line through the pipe leads me to think it's still just a bit off.

I'm trying to hit center bowl at the front, center shank at the bowl, center shank at the end of the shank, and run that line through the stem.

Posted 1 week ago #
  34. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Running the line the other way, trying to center the stem, I get a better result, still just a hair off left to right... camera angles, etc... but the thing is not "way out" and again, the idea that a 100 dollar pipe is going to be some perfect specimen from every angle is .... a pipe dream.

I applaud smokingpipes for their engagement in the community in this regard, and their very friendly return policy. What irks me is that if I do return a pipe, it gets sold as an unsmoked estate, rather than shipped back to the vendor. Pull the bad pipes, don't sell them.

Posted 1 week ago #
  35. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the explanation,Sas. You certainly have a better eye for it than I do. I always appreciated your mark ups on Pipe Makers Forum and I was hoping you’d do the same here... and ya did!

Posted 1 week ago #
  36. shaneireland

shaneireland

Login to Send PM

I applaud smokingpipes for their engagement in the community in this regard, and their very friendly return policy. What irks me is that if I do return a pipe, it gets sold as an unsmoked estate, rather than shipped back to the vendor. Pull the bad pipes, don't sell them.

Todd, we do ship pipes back to vendors frequently and returned pipes do not get sold as unsmoked estates. Many (most, actually) of our returns happen within that 30 day period and are re-listed for sale in the New Pipes section after being inspected. This is because the most common reason for a return is simply because the pipe wasn’t the right size. Even with measurements listed for each pipe, it can be difficult to tell if it’s what you’re looking for until you hold it in your hands. That’s the main reason we have the 30 day policy, honestly. So, if the pipe is in the same condition when it’s returned as it was when we shipped it out, it goes back to the website. Occasionally, we’ll have Adam Davidson and his team polish the bowl or buff the stem before putting a return back on the website just to be sure.

I can’t think of a recent example, but we have sold pipes as unsmoked estates (at a discount) because of a blemish that’s wasn’t fixable without refinishing the entire pipe. In that case, we are either certain that the blemish happened while the pipe was our responsibility, or we didn’t catch it during our inspection and therefore can’t be sure that it left the factory in that condition. Either way, it wouldn’t be the manufacturer’s responsibility and it’s still a perfectly smokable pipe. It’s rare and if it does happen you’ll see in the condition statement that the pipe is unsmoked, but with scratches on the bowl or whatever else might be worth noting. Plus, it’s a good deal for someone who would love to smoke the hell out of that pipe anyhow.

Posted 1 week ago #
  37. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shane, my intention isn't to muck-rake. Everyone agrees you guys have a more than fair return policy and you've done lots of people "solid" for years and years. I guess me point is that there's a difference between "we checked this over" and "you can always return it", and I'll leave it there.

Posted 1 week ago #
  38. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think it's time we add a new forums topic: "This Pipe Stem's Crooked!"

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/new-forum-topics

Posted 1 week ago #
  39. tobefrank

tobefrank

Login to Send PM

Haha, that’s awesome, pitchfork.

Posted 1 week ago #
  40. shaneireland

shaneireland

Login to Send PM

Shane, my intention isn't to muck-rake. Everyone agrees you guys have a more than fair return policy and you've done lots of people "solid" for years and years. I guess me point is that there's a difference between "we checked this over" and "you can always return it", and I'll leave it there.

Todd, I hear you and I couldn't agree more. That's why we'll continue to do both of those things; we'll catch as much as we can, and if we miss something, we'll make it right.

Cheers!

Posted 1 week ago #
  41. pylorns

pylorns

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I doubt that you'd have trouble simply selecting a Peterson pipe from our website, but I would be more than happy to personally inspect any pipes you're considering. I could also hunt down a particular shape/finish combination to ensure that you're 100% satisfied with the purchase. If there's a certain Pete that you'd like to own, I'm sure we can find one that you'll be very happy with.

Customer service always on point, thanks Shane.

Posted 1 week ago #
  42. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Good on you, Shane! To answer your question, I am getting more into straight Virginia’s lately, particularly of the red variety. Even if I’m not entirely interested in a certain blend, I always enjoy hearing your take on them. My palette probably lacks refinement, so it’s interesting see what other people manage to tease out of their tobaccos.

Posted 1 week ago #
  43. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sums it up for me!...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   railman, ray47, peckinpahhombre, cortezattic, 5star, timt