PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Hey everyone,
Recently saw a post about using rubbing alcohol to clean pipes and it got me to thinking.

I used to use alcohol every time I cleaned my pipes, given that this could be after every smoke or even a couple days apart.

Recently when talking to some other pipe smokers, they informed me that they only use a paper towel and pipe cleaner after each smoke. This confused me and now I've decided to ask because I want what is best for my pipes as do all of us.

What do you guys do? Is it a paper towel and pipe cleaner every time, and alcohol cleaning once a month? Let me know. :puffy:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I believe IMHO once a month is enough, the most important thing a lot of pipe smokers don"t do is a-tip the inside if the shank where the tendon mates inside of the shank, a lot of heavy deposits lurk there, just running a pipe cleaner doesn"t get that, run a q-tip around that next time you smoke and see what you get there, the old cajun

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
It seems that alot of pipe smokers have varying opinions here. I am guilty of going a bit too long between alcohol cleanings but do not believe that it is necessary after each smoke. I'd say it depends on how much you smoke the pipe. Maybe every 5-7 smokes sounds resonable but I should take my own advice.

:roll:

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Good advice Cagun.

I double over a pipe cleaener to get the gunk out. I smoke any given pipe 2-4 times in a day and I use three or more pipes in a day. Every morning over coffee and my first bowl I clean yesterdays pipes with 91% rubbing alcohol and pipe cleaners. The clean ones then sit til the next week. I got in the habit of using two certain pipes on mon, tue, etc... so that I know they have rested well between smokes. This topic has been gone over and I suspect there will be tons of different methods described here shortly.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Yes it has. And some say rubbing alcohol is bad. I stick to Everclear.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Yes it has. And some say rubbing alcohol is bad. I stick to Everclear.
I too use everclear. I will the good ol' cajun's advice. I know that opinions vary but I want to run with the majority haha

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
The shank thing is one of the reasons I prefer system pipes. I have better access to all parts of the pipe.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
First off I pick a pipe for a given day and I smoke the hell out of it for that day, so by the end of the day its pretty nasty. I use alcohol at the end of the day to clean the pipe i have chosen for that day. I used to use pipe sweetener, or liquor but i recently switched to mentholated rubbing alcohol with no ill results. So short form, I use alcohol daily....

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I completely clean every pipe after every use, which means using 91% Isopropyl, pipe cleaners, and dry reaming the bowl. That way I never have to worry about ghosting or sour pipes. I’ve done this for over 50 years with no problems.

skyblue

Lurker
Dec 28, 2012
For me it's a lovely Sunday afternoon/evening ritual to clean all my pipes thoroughly using a wee dram of whiskey to dip cleaners into. They tell me they enjoy it. So I have a few with them :)

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I clean my pipes with denatured alcohol after 1-3 smokes. The main reason is they are easier/faster to clean than cleaning them once a month or whatever. I only remove the stem occasionally though.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
i think the shank gets very dirty. i take a paper towel and twist the corner, then add alittle everclear onto the towel. i insert the towel into the shank and turn around several times. this will clean inside the shank by removing all the gunk. this also saves on pipe cleaners. i will cut the paper towel into 4 squares. it works great for me.
mike.

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
I would not use the menthol alcohal , because it is 30 to 50% H20 , and could raise the grain of your briar . The menthol is also residual . Not knocking anyone who chooses to use it . I just wouldnt recommend it to anyone . Iso alcohal at 91% or greater is ok in my book . It evaporates very quickly without leaving behind large amounts of water unlike the 50 - 70% iso alcohal . Add methyl salicylate/wintergreen oil [ witch is whats in the menthol alcohal , and you have even more residual . I like to use everclear and/or 151 Rum as rothnh mentioned . Grain alcohal is recommended by most Online retailers of briar pipes . http://www.smokingpipes.com/information/howto/cleaning.cfm

Again no disrespect to whomever chooses to use this . In regaurds to your question , I think The Old Cajun and rothnh and a couple others answered it . The only think I may add is to be careful not to clean out your cake with a new pipe .

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
For me it's a lovely Sunday afternoon/evening ritual to clean all my pipes thoroughly using a wee dram of whiskey to dip cleaners into. They tell me they enjoy it. So I have a few with them
I love that Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.