PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeklumpp

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2013
hong kong
smokers vary on this - a lot depends on your own habits, the tobacco, are you a wet or dry smoker - when I have just a few pipes at my disposal I rest one and smoke one rotating daily- ish. I have had over 40 pipes most of my smoking life for the last many years so I rotate every bowl or two - no set law

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Didn't you already ask this question once?"
Yaddy, he asked the same question one year ago as per your link...
"Realistically, how much smoking of a pipe before resting would constitute oversmoking or otherwise using a pipe so much that you take a chance of damaging the pipe?"
...and one hour ago...
How much can you smoke a favorite pipe before it must be put aside to rest?
...and yet again on this thread....bizarre!
Regards,
Jay.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
The pipe will let you know when it needs to be rested. I rarely smoke one pipe more then once a day, but that's because I have 150 pipes and only smoke at home. If I do take a pipe out and about, it's always a cob because they can take a licking and keep on ticking.

joshb

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2015
I only have 8 pipes, i usually pick one in the morning and smoke it all day.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
My question to add to this is, if you have a great new pipe that you are breaking in (like my new Ardor), some say to smoke it everyday for a few weeks, just one bowl a day, and it will break in faster. That being said, I did this for awhile, and noticed I was getting a gurgle, and now after resting it a week between smokes I still get a little gurgle, does drying out take longer if you have smoked it more than the normal rotation? Also could this lead to a pipe getting an off "spoiled" flavor eventually if it can't dry out enough? These are things I consider, but don't really have an answer to as I continue to smoke and ponder..

I will smoke some of my favorite pipes one bowl a day for a few days in succession and not notice any difference, in wetness or quality, they continue to smoke fine, but typically never exceeding more than two bowls.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
If I'm not mistaken, gurgle is more a factor of combustion rather than frequency of smoking, i.e., moisture content in tobacco (dry it more) or a fast puffing cadence creating a hotter combustion and the resulting condensation in the bowl.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Cranse, yes it definitely is, but I smoke mostly breath method and quite slow, and always dry my tobacco out prior to smoking. Also it is only certain pipes that cause it typically.

I guess the question is, if the condensation that soaks deep into the wood takes longer to dissipate after smoking without resting the pipe long enough.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you are getting a gurgle regularly, your pipe and/or tobacco are damp. And, yes, that'll often lead to a spoiled flavor.
In a new pipe, moisture may be extra prevalent if the briar hasn't been fully dried, so using extra dry tobacco and smoking to the bottom may help alleviate that. As to frequency of smoking, the more bowls, the quicker break in, works fine if dry. Otherwise, resting is indicated.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
bluegrasspipe, honestly the gurgle is unlikely due to the frequency. As cranse stated, it is probably from smoking wet tobacco, smoking your pipe wet, or other external conditions. A pipe can dry out pretty quickly. The going off is going to be from not keeping it clean between smokes, rather than the frequency of smokes. If you aren't leaving the pipe cleaner in the shank between smokes, it should be drying out just fine.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I smoke the same one usually two or three times a day for a week before switching out to another. Have done so for years with no I'll effect on my pipes.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'm also interested in this. I've been assuming you must let the pipe rest for 24-48 hours after you finish the bowl, which I've been doing. But I see here that some smoke the same pipe several bowls a day. Does that mean you rapack it without cleaning it?
I've noticed that my churchwarden's chamber does get wet after I smoke it. Heck, I even get pieces of tobacco sticking to the walls during the smoke, which can't always be scraped off with the tamper (I've got to scrape them off with the spoon during cleaning). Guess my tobacco is too wet.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Does that mean you rapack it without cleaning it?
I've noticed that my churchwarden's chamber does get wet after I smoke it. Heck, I even get pieces of tobacco sticking to the walls during the smoke, which can't always be scraped off with the tamper (I've got to scrape them off with the spoon during cleaning). Guess my tobacco is too wet.
I run a pipe cleaner down the stem, wipe the bowl out with a paper towel, and let the pipe cool off before smoking again.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
As cranse stated, it is probably from smoking wet tobacco

The last thing I smoked was St James Woods which I left just a bit in the can after loading up a jar, and I almost didn't smoke it because it was so dry. And yet, still a slight gurgle. I ALWAYS run a pipe cleaner through it after smoking, and usually a couple of times while smoking if it is gurgling.

Also Ardor ages the briar 10 years prior to carving, so even a new pipe surprises me that it has a gurgle.

I am beginning to think that some briars just have the tendency to gurgle, because only some of mine ever do it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Though resting a pipe would seem to be indicated given that moisture in the bowl probably turns to steam with the heat of the tobacco combustion, making it a hot rather than cool smoke, we have only this prudent hypothetical. Moreover, I'm not sure that gurgle harms the smoke but I do hate the sound and try to avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.