PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyghost48

Lurker
Jan 1, 2016
I have a French Ropp Cherry Wood Alpine ( Oom Paul shape) pipe that I require a new stem, Bakelite mouthpiece and the other end ( the bit that fit's into the bowl ( I don't know what it's called ). The only identification I have is on the base of the bowl }"Ropp Stand Easy" made in France. Don't even ask me what happened to the missing bits. Anyway, I'd like to resurrect this pipe which I've had for over 40 years. I'm located in Australia so there will be shipping fees Etc. No big deal, I just want the parts if I can find them. I've tried to find a "Ropp" website but I can't find one, assuming there is one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It sounds to me like a pipe maker/restorer/repair person needs to cut a new stem for this pipe, and likely spruce up the briar to bring it up to standard. Being part of the Commonwealth, I feel like there must be pipe repair people in Australia, but if not, there are certainly plenty in Europe and the U.S. if you ask around and ask several of them about this project, to find the right person and right price. This can probably be done for a very reasonable price, but you could get more if you pay more in terms of quality. Decide in advance if you want a vulcanite or lucite/acrylic stem and the price difference. Ropp is a good French pipe. I think you'll end up with a nice briar with some history to it. If I remember, I think Ropp now belongs to Chacom, so you might look at that site and see if there is way to contact them.

greyghost48

Lurker
Jan 1, 2016
Thanks for your thoughts/ideas. Yes, you would think there would be pipe repairers Etc. here, but as our Government has been conducting a serious "anti-smoking" campaign for several years now, any repairers would have long since gone out of business. However, it's worth a try, you never know. Even obtaining pipe tobacco is becoming an issue as I can't remember the last time I saw a Tobacconist, possibly a few left, but restricted to the capital cities. Anyway, this isn't the forum for a Political statement. I'll try Chacom as well and see how we go there. By the way, the original stem was wood ( cherry wood )approx 4-5 Inches long as I recall, with Bakelite bits, which in itself makes it fairly unique, adding to the difficulty of finding a replacement. Anyway I'll keep at it, as I definitely think it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.