PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have a dilemma, I really like the size and style of French pipes. I'm a smaller guy, so smaller pipes work for me. That being said, I love the dry smoking qualities of Italian pipes, but find them to be much larger overall than French pipes. So I pose two questions. First, can you think of any Italian makers who specialize in smaller pipes? Second, which do you prefer, French or Italian made pipes?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the Savenelli Oscar Lucite line, which are relatively small, light weight pipes, non-filtered, that

do not have a bulky look. I especially like the 404 yacht/zulu, and the 412 (413?) bent Dublin in

this series. I think you'd be happy with either of those, and it would be proportionate. Also,

Brebbia makes some handsome pipes that are not oversize. I have several pipes that are too large

for me, strictly speaking, but I enjoy them anyway; big pipes mostly get smoked indoors, and often

privately, so the dramatic effect they may have isn't as important.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
The age old question: who are the better engineers? The Italians or the French?
I don't know of any Italian makers who "specialize" in smaller pipes, but check out le Nuvole if you haven't already http://www.lenuvolepipes.com/. Pipes of all sizes, pricey yes, but first rate!

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
MSO, I have had my eye on the Savenelli Petite line. They appear to be along the line of what I am looking for. I will have to check out the Oscar Lucite line. I have a couple Sav's and they are all great smokers.
Big Van, I have not heard of le Nuvole before. I will look into them this weekend. Thanks for the lead!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Neil, Lorenzetti makes a few nice smaller pipes. That being said, most of my small pipes are Chacom or BC.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Thanks BlueEye, I actually have a Lorenzetti Prince that is a great smoke. Probably one of my driest smokers and at a tremendous value as well. They are a relatively new manufacturer are they not?

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
According to Pipedia they have been around since 1932. I could very well be mistaken but I believe they are now also making pipes for Brigham. I have one of their bent billards and its a really nice smoker.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I have one or two French pipes, but dozens of Italians. A few Castellos, Caminettos, Radices, Mastro de Pajas, but mostly Ser Jacopos. I love their bents because even the full ones pass a pipe cleaner perfectly. Something to do with a proprietary drilling apparatus/technique.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
northernneil - I too like a small pipe. I have had good luck with the Stanwell Featherweight line. Not Italian, but Danish (or German, perhaps but this one says made in Denmark).

va-per-bur-600x448.jpg

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Since I started this thread, over a year ago, I have really explored the world's of French and Italian Pipes. I wanted to share some of my experiences and observations.
First, I have determined the classic French Pipes are my go to choice when it comes to a reliable daily smokers. They are priced very competitively, will usually offer spot on engineering, and are right in my wheel house when it comes to dimensions and weights. Some examples of top notch manufactures (in my opinion) from St. Claude include Sébastien Beo and Chacom. I have especially enjoyed the classic Ropp Pipes smokingpipes.com has been offering.
Now, when it comes to Italian Pipes, I find they dominate the high end market, whem compaired to French Pipes. Once outside of the high end market, I find Italian manufacturers to be more willing to use fills and other techniques to hide imperfections. This does not affect the smoking quality, but obviously affects the esthetics.
Now, I do believe Italians are better at highlighting the grain in a block of Briar. Also, I have found quite a few "smaller" pipes made from Italian manufactures such as Castello and Luciano.
In conclusion, I think French Pipes are a better choice for me for a daily smoker, as I stated above. But there is obviously a lot of room in my collection my high end Italians!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
French or Italian? My answer is yes. I really like and admire them both. French pipes have some of the classic shapes that the English do often at much higher prices. Italian pipes have wonderful "attitude" and aplomb. I'd hate to have to choose between one or the other. They both have a hold on me, as the old song says.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Thanks for digging this up and complete the thread with your observation.

I agree much to your opinion and think French pipes are too under-valued in most cases. I love all my French pipes and my only Italian pipe bought new some time ago with about 100 USD had a hole (from chamber to the outside) on the front side of the bowl in the 3rd bowl of smoke. This greatly affected my confidence towards any Italian-made products.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
So....
Of the French pipe brands / makers that you have experience with, which do you recommend for someone who hasn't experienced French made pipes?

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
My third pipe was a large G size Radice Billiard, and it sold me on the brand. They've got a cool looking smaller Billiard that attracts me.
002-030-2296_1.jpg

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/radice/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=161824

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Clarkj734, I personally would recommend Sébastien Beo from SmokingPipes.com. All the pipes are less than $100, use fill free Briar, modern engineering and are done in classic French Style.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
@clarkj734
Any estate / unsmoked NOS / new pipes from St. Claude (the supposedly legendary town where Briar pipes come from) will be a good bet. Smaller pipes are good for plug and flake and curly / coin cut enjoyed in a fold-and-tuck manner, as it will burn slow, one doesn't need a large bowl to enjoy 45+ minutes.

Butz-Choquin I would say, and some older Chacom. Unfortunately many of the older French makers / factories have already become history.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Look for the Savinelli pipes that are NOT KS sizes. Some of their smaller billiards might suit you.
Also, I'll second that some of the more reserved Stanwell shapes...not the big flourished Danish-type....might work for you too. I've got just a regular old straight stanwell billiard that might fit the bill.
Leave it to a forum...you ask French or Italian, and I suggest Danish :)

Status
Not open for further replies.